FireBird Tileset

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
138 replies to this topic

#1 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

The FireBird tileset is a project Supindahood, Linkus and myself have been working on for a while now. Our most noteworthy contributors have (knowlingly and unknowlingly) been Migokalle, Bourkification and Radien. The tileset started out as the monochrome quest project "Mirror of the Moon" which has been inactivated after its scripter left the community. The vast resources that were already compiled have been lovingly colored, largely resprited and compiled into an ever-growing collection of easily 90% original custom work (others being edits and such). What I personally like so much about the tileset is, next to its visual charme, its extremely user-friendly usage that requires minimal layering and is about as straightforward as the GBC tilesets. Yet, additional tiles such as the big door frames, advanced grass etc. allow for a more erlaborate look if that's what you are going for.

The tileset (100% of its content) is soon to be publically released. Overworld and dungeon stuff is largely done (though I personally wouldn't mind a few more dungeon sets), palettes are growing in numbers steadily and the sprite work has been started on. Honestly, the only real challenge left is compiling a set of Link sprites, NPCs, enemies, item sprites and effect sprites that work well with the style of the rest of the tileset (that's partially why I chose not to include any in-game screenshots in this thread). For the "first release", these might be limited to original Z1 content, though there might be the odd extra tile.

I am sure many of you have seen the tileset used in certain SotW entries by now, but let me share some of the eyecandy with you anyways. Obviously, this represents only a fraction of all the tiles that are in the tileset (in fact, I didn't even take screens of the alternative mountain sets!).

ZY4wD9W.png486NTTI.pngZTE5vZc.pngLgKlhzl.pngwgKjlq4.pngA38wFIj.png1jQC2mF.pngSvohbM2.pngymz4lIS.pngmD3W80o.pngADDDOCC.pngpkudYIP.pngSWJUg9e.png5sPxqYd.pngra5AQc5.pngKq2qKwV.pngUouzTCF.pngfExLuLR.pngz5DVv2i.pngSpRh2D4.png8NjCzOC.pnguScC5Me.png6izmSOX.pngwbakPHd.png

The FireBird tileset is to be released before the end of January if all goes as planned. This is not to say that it will be out there by that time definately, but it is the goal we are working towards to. I cannot stress enough that this would have never been possible if it wasn't for Supindahood's and Linkus' devotion to the project who both have spent countless hours spriting for this over the course of the last year.

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.purezc.ne...showtopic=63875

Edited by Sheik, 24 June 2014 - 08:52 AM.

• Neppy, Rambly, DCEnygma and 14 others like this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

uScC5Me.png

Oh hey, this reminds me of one of my old screens I made. I'm curious, is this intentional? :P

As for the tileset? Yous outdone yourselves, this looks amazing. Looking forward to release, will be using it for sure.

• Supindahood and Jared like this

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

I don't know, maybe Jonathan made a little screen rebirth here? Most (if not all) of these screens are either his or Robin's work.

Edited by Sheik, 08 January 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

No worries, I hope I didn't come off as alert. It's a nice screen either way.

#5 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Sexy stuff Sheik, just like you man. Looking forward to it. :)

• nicklegends likes this

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

I think this looks extremely well made.  You can tell care and patience was put into this tileset.  There's a couple of things that bother me:

uScC5Me.png

-Where the shallow water meets the water looks far too boxy compared to how smoothly the other edges are defined on land.

wbakPHd.png

-The two-tone trees; they don't have the same amount of shine as the other set of trees in the other screenshots, and thus look flatter by comparison.

Overall though, I think you guys deserve an award~  Question!  Will there be alternate dungeon sets included, that are perspectively correct ALA Illusion of Gaia?

Edited by Koh, 08 January 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Question!  Will there be alternate dungeon sets included, that are perspectively correct ALA Illusion of Gaia?

Such are not in planning, but everybody is welcome to create stuff based upon the FireBird tiles and contribute to the tileset. So if you feel like making such dungeon tiles (I think NoeL uses that approach in his tileset) by all means, go ahead.

• anikom15 likes this

#8 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

I might fiddle with it when I get more time and the tiles.  It's great practice with that sort of thing.

#9 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

OoT Shall rise up in this! It looks like a great tileset and I am sure it is gonna make some amazing quests (Or bad quests made by those people that are new to ZC and use the classic tileset to make games).

Edited by coolgamer012345, 08 January 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#10 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

To convert or to not convert Hylian Legacy into this?? Seriously, I would marry one of those screens, there hot! :lol: Truly, I bow down to everyone's hard work! :D Hats off for Supindahood, Linkus, Shiek, Radien, Migokalle and Bourkification! :clap:

(Although this looks like it will follow EZGBZ's steps, alas, an overused tileset :lol: )

#11 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

You should have totally used my screenshots in this thread.  :blah:

Glad to see it's finally announced. :)

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

This looks amazing, I'm loving this! Hope to see this being finished soon!

#13 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

For obvious reasons, I feel obligated to at least try this tileset out. Might even take a shot at drawing some stuff of my own in the style.

But yeah, this set's kinda grown on me, especially after seeing those dungeon sets.

#14 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Out of curiosity, what palette structure does this use?

#15 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I been waiting for this!
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT :D

wake me up when its out!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FireBird, Tileset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users