• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:56 AM

*Looks at title*
Because Zelda Classic Link only has 3 frames of animation max and to give him more you'd need to script it and even then it would probably look awkward and use up extra tilespace that quite frankly could have been used on less trivial things? icon_confused.gif (OK, so for most people the tile/sprite/combo space isn't that important)

Can't say I'm really digging these. I can see potential use for these outside of ZC, but I don't think anyone here other than yourself is working on an actual Zelda fangame outside of ZC. So unless I'm misunderstanding the purpose of this topic, I can't give a reason not to share these extended animation tiles, but I don't see a reason why either. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 10 October 2011 - 02:57 AM.

#17 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:06 AM

PokemonMaster, there's an option for ALttP Link sprites, which allow 9-tiled Link icon_razz.gif

#18 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Oct 10 2011, 03:56 AM) View Post

*Looks at title*
Because Zelda Classic Link only has 3 frames of animation max and to give him more you'd need to script it and even then it would probably look awkward and use up extra tilespace that quite frankly could have been used on less trivial things? icon_confused.gif (OK, so for most people the tile/sprite/combo space isn't that important)

Can't say I'm really digging these. I can see potential use for these outside of ZC, but I don't think anyone here other than yourself is working on an actual Zelda fangame outside of ZC. So unless I'm misunderstanding the purpose of this topic, I can't give a reason not to share these extended animation tiles, but I don't see a reason why either. icon_shrug.gif

IIRC, in ZC 2.5, to change the animation style so that Link uses Z3 style walking frames, when you go to Graphics -> Link, there should be a drop-down box to set the animation style. Select "Zelda 3," and there you have it icon_wink.gif. As for the dynamic updating Link model, I suspect it won't be accomplish-able without scripting, but hey, a little scripting would never kill anyone icon_wink.gif.

@Jared: I dunno what to do about the eyes icon_doh.gif!

Okay, actually, I gave it a shot, and fixed some other things like his hat, boots, and hair. Mind *refreshing* and giving me some feedback? By the way, in case you haven't noticed, this is my first full pixel art attempt XD. Used to just be headshots.

#19 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

I refreshed it, but nothing changed :3

You need to finish ASAP, so I can use these for my quest ;__;

#20 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

OK, here we go. If you want to see an updated spritesheet, refresh and see the first post. But what I really want to know is how you think I handled the two-hand holding animation:

IPB Image

Before I say anything, I'd like to point out that there's an alternate version in the sheet, where his hands don't look so "close" to us, so if you don't want to see his hands that big, then that's fine. The idea here is not only for the animation to be smooth, but also so you can script it so whenever he hold certain items, his hair and tunic blows in the "wind," or the energy of the item. What do you think? I can try to get the one-hand holding animation like that if you approve of this icon_smile.gif.

#21 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

Woah....that looks amazing, Koh! I didn't expect this, at all! I can't wait to use these for my quest :'D

#22 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Oct 15 2011, 09:01 AM) View Post
OK, here we go. If you want to see an updated spritesheet, refresh and see the first post. But what I really want to know is how you think I handled the two-hand holding animation:

IPB Image

Before I say anything, I'd like to point out that there's an alternate version in the sheet, where his hands don't look so "close" to us, so if you don't want to see his hands that big, then that's fine. The idea here is not only for the animation to be smooth, but also so you can script it so whenever he hold certain items, his hair and tunic blows in the "wind," or the energy of the item. What do you think? I can try to get the one-hand holding animation like that if you approve of this icon_smile.gif.

I think it looks great. I've never tried using an animated item hold sprite. Have you tested it? Does it work fine?...

Koh, sometime in the far future, I do wonder whether you would mind if I modeled some sprites after these animations for a non-Link character. Would that be all right?

#23 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 15 2011, 07:47 PM) View Post

I think it looks great. I've never tried using an animated item hold sprite. Have you tested it? Does it work fine?...

Koh, sometime in the far future, I do wonder whether you would mind if I modeled some sprites after these animations for a non-Link character. Would that be all right?

Hmm, well I haven't tried it in ZC; and I wouldn't know how to go about scripting it, as I've not tampered with ZC's scripting yet. But I imagine it should look the same as the GIF.

You're free to manipulate the spritesheet in anyway that you need icon_smile.gif. That's what they're there for; to have a pre-made set, or to act as models icon_wink.gif.

#24 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

Dude! These would be perfect for my game since i'm using MC tiles! I have been trying to find a set of link tiles that use Z3 animation but none of them fit too well with the set. This set has been tested In my game and it looks like they were made specifically for the surrounding environment! You should definitely complete this sheet! icon_biggrin.gif

#25 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

Looks like I forgot to say... I love these tiles icon_razz.gif

#26 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

I'm not a fan of the colours either, just like Robin. But the animations are great and this might well be your best Link sheet yet. Nice job!

#27 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(Sepulcher @ Oct 16 2011, 12:12 AM) View Post

Dude! These would be perfect for my game since i'm using MC tiles! I have been trying to find a set of link tiles that use Z3 animation but none of them fit too well with the set. This set has been tested In my game and it looks like they were made specifically for the surrounding environment! You should definitely complete this sheet! icon_biggrin.gif

Agreed! I'm going to use these for my new (Or revamped) DoR quest.

In fact, Koh, these could end up being one of the most used Link tiles, because they're so wonderful! No lie!

#28 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE(Jared @ Oct 16 2011, 01:38 AM) View Post
In fact, Koh, these could end up being one of the most used Link tiles, because they're so wonderful! No lie!
Pfft, everyone knows THESE will be the most used Link tiles... one day icon_lol.gif

#29 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE(Koh @ Oct 15 2011, 07:59 PM) View Post
Hmm, well I haven't tried it in ZC; and I wouldn't know how to go about scripting it, as I've not tampered with ZC's scripting yet. But I imagine it should look the same as the GIF.

You're free to manipulate the spritesheet in anyway that you need icon_smile.gif. That's what they're there for; to have a pre-made set, or to act as models icon_wink.gif.

Okay, thanks a lot. icon_biggrin.gif

Man... no one should ever underestimate the value of a good sprite animation. Whenever I edit BS enemies, I put another enemy side-by-side and base most of my design decisions on that. It allows for consistency and makes the process ten times easier and faster than it would be without a model.

As for the item hold tiles... hmmm... I guess maybe item hold doesn't actually support animations normally. icon_confused.gif That's really too bad; I hate to think it'd be necessary to script just to use those very nice MC-style item hold animations. I haven't tried the Z3 animations yet, but LttP didn't have an animated item hold sprite, either. icon_confused.gif

Well, within the constraints of ZC without scripting, these still look good... so oh well. icon_thumbsup.gif

#30 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE(Sepulcher @ Oct 16 2011, 12:12 AM) View Post

You most definitely can if you feel that way icon_smile.gif.

QUOTE(NoeL @ Oct 16 2011, 02:51 AM) View Post

Looks like I forgot to say... I love these tiles icon_razz.gif

Ha ha, thanks xD.

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Oct 16 2011, 03:23 AM) View Post

I'm not a fan of the colours either, just like Robin. But the animations are great and this might well be your best Link sheet yet. Nice job!

I dunno, I kinda like the colors personally icon_smile.gif. Tribute to his old design; BROWN HAIR FTW!

QUOTE(Jared @ Oct 16 2011, 03:38 AM) View Post

Agreed! I'm going to use these for my new (Or revamped) DoR quest.

I agree this is rising up as my best sheet; I'm working harder to make the animations more fluid.

QUOTE(NoeL @ Oct 16 2011, 04:45 AM) View Post

Pfft, everyone knows THESE will be the most used Link tiles... one day icon_lol.gif

That made me lol xD. He should be used though; but I wonder which tileset he'd look best in...

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 16 2011, 07:43 AM) View Post

Okay, thanks a lot. icon_biggrin.gif

Man... no one should ever underestimate the value of a good sprite animation. Whenever I edit BS enemies, I put another enemy side-by-side and base most of my design decisions on that. It allows for consistency and makes the process ten times easier and faster than it would be without a model.

As for the item hold tiles... hmmm... I guess maybe item hold doesn't actually support animations normally. icon_confused.gif That's really too bad; I hate to think it'd be necessary to script just to use those very nice MC-style item hold animations. I haven't tried the Z3 animations yet, but LttP didn't have an animated item hold sprite, either. icon_confused.gif

Well, within the constraints of ZC without scripting, these still look good... so oh well. icon_thumbsup.gif

I suppose there is a way to do it, even without scripting. It'd just involve a few combo cycling, and a "cutscene" screen icon_smile.gif.

Due to the popularity, I've decided I'll take this sheet all the way. For starters, I've made it more organized, since I can predict how lengthy the sheet will eventually become, especially since it uses Z3 Animation. IF I didn't, it'd become a mess of poses.

Lastly, One-hand holding complete icon_smile.gif: IPB Image
As usual, there's an alternate version if you feel his hands shouldn't be so "close."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users