New GBC Tileset

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

are the slingshot item and the gloves from oracle of seasons gonna be available in this tileset?

y can't dimitri be done? it seems like an edit from epona.

what bosses are going to be available?

and are the colors compatible to the ones LA had?

#17 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:33 PM

Slightshot maybe, gloves no.
Dimitri because I don't want to have to put in the effort to script another great big thing like that.
It might seem like an edit from Epona, but it would be quite a bit more than that.
And also if I were to do Dimitri I'd have to do Moosh and the kanagaroo which I can't seem to remember the name of, and scripting 3 animal partners does not sound like a great idea.

I'm not scripting any bosses, if you want custom bosses you'll have to script your own or get someone else to write them.

And they are... ish.
They don't fit exactly, but I haven't run into any problems re-colouring LA tiles to fit the Oracles palette so far.

#18 creatorofchaos

creatorofchaos

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

@alestance
I ripped it just fine?What the heck are you talking about?

#19 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(creatorofchaos @ Apr 9 2009, 05:43 PM) View Post

@alestance
I ripped it just fine?What the heck are you talking about?

LOL , He means that when you save the picture you provided in your post and you try to rip it in the grabber , you can't rip it properly because there's color loss due to the picture being a JPEG format.

.GIF , and .PNG are the best to save.

#20 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

Right well, I appreciate the input I've had so far, but what I was really after was a list of what default items people wanted.
So I'll put all of the items here, and can a few people just go through the list and tick off the ones they'd definately want?
The ones in Green are ones that I'd definately have, and Red are the ones I wouldn't have. A lot of the red ones are just because I don't like them.
I want to know what you think about the black ones mostly, but I'm open to opinions on all of them though.

Default:
  • Swords - Surprisingly enough
  • Scrolls - Spin scroll would be default and invisible
  • Scroll related rings
  • Wealth Medals - Shops will be scripted, and these are pretty lame anyway
  • Stone of Agony
  • Wallets - Not exactly. I'm planning on having the colour of the rupee symbol on the passive change when you get a wallet upgrade.
  • Quivers - Like the GB games, I'd just have quiver upgrades not be shown in the subscreen although obviously you would still be able to pick up arrow capacity upgrades
  • Bomb Bags - Same as with the quivers
  • Bracelets
  • Shields - One of either scripted or normal
  • Defence Rings - Or we could have the tunics like in the Fort Knights?
  • Flippers - Tunics again maybe?
  • Amulet - Tunics?
  • Ladder
  • Raft
  • Boots
  • Boomerang - With added grass-cutting capacity!
  • Bombs
  • Super Bombs - These are rubbish, and the bombchus make a much nicer replacement
  • Bow
  • Candle - Would be replaced with the Ember seeds
  • Whistle
  • Bait
  • Letter
  • Potions - Look at the next section before you jump to conclusions on this one!
  • Wand - Might be able to set up like the LA wand which can power through ice combos
  • Book
  • Lens
  • Hookshot
  • Hammer
  • Feather
  • God Spells
Scripted:
  • Rod of Seasons
  • Harp of Ages
  • Cape
  • Shovel
  • Ember Seeds - Replacing the candle
  • Pegasus Boots
  • Bombchus
  • GB-style potion - that kicks in when you die
  • Animal partners
  • Magnetic Gloves
  • Cane of Somaria
  • Guardian Acorn and Piece of Power
  • Slingshot - It'd pretty much be a replacement to the bow
  • Tunics
  • Scripted active shield - One of either scripted or normal
  • Biggoron's Sword
And what are your views on using magic?
I think I might set up two passives, one with magic and one without.

#21 creatorofchaos

creatorofchaos

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

I would suggest using the bow AND the slingshot,that way people can choose,and if your looking for minigames.Maybe you could script LA style fishing,only make it a little better,like handling 5 types of fish instead of 2 ,and handling 2 different rod items.(What I mean is the mechanics will change depending on which fake item you have.)

Edited by creatorofchaos, 10 April 2009 - 09:55 AM.

#22 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

Default:
  • Swords - Surprisingly enough -> sure
  • Scrolls - Spin scroll would be default and invisible -> add in the others for more combat fun
  • Scroll related rings -> don't bother
  • Wealth Medals - Shops will be scripted, and these are pretty lame anyway -> they suck
  • Stone of Agony -> don't bother
  • Wallets - Not exactly. I'm planning on having the colour of the rupee symbol on the passive change when you get a wallet upgrade. -> good idea
  • Quivers - Like the GB games, I'd just have quiver upgrades not be shown in the subscreen although obviously you would still be able to pick up arrow capacity upgrades -> I would like to see a Quiver since we see the seed satchel too
  • Bomb Bags - Same as with the quivers -> show it to me icon_wink.gif
  • Bracelets -> sure
  • Shields - One of either scripted or normal -> SCRIPTED. yep. thanks.
  • Defence Rings - Or we could have the tunics like in the Fort Knights? -> tunics
  • Flippers - Tunics again maybe? -> tunics
  • Amulet - Tunics? -> tunics
  • Ladder -> Roc's Feather
  • Raft -> Cucco <3 ^^
  • Boots -> sure
  • Boomerang - With added grass-cutting capacity! -> yay! and one that it directable oO
  • Bombs -> sure
  • Super Bombs - These are rubbish, and the bombchus make a much nicer replacement -> go for Bombflowers, I'd like them
  • Bow -> please
  • Candle - Would be replaced with the Ember seeds -> Lantern
  • Whistle
  • Bait -> Scent Seeds
  • Letter -> why not.
  • Potions - Look at the next section before you jump to conclusions on this one!
  • Wand - Might be able to set up like the LA wand which can power through ice combos -> sounds nice.
  • Book -> Uhm. Don't know.
  • Lens -> I can live without them.
  • Hookshot -> sure
  • Hammer -> Well, why not, but it's useless in most Quests after beating the respective dungeon.
  • Feather -> sure
  • God Spells -> I can live without them.
Scripted:
  • Rod of Seasons -> I can live without that.
  • Harp of Ages -> I can lve without that.
  • Cape -> <3
  • Shovel -> Will be nice.
  • Ember Seeds - Replacing the candle -> Lantern
  • Pegasus Boots -> Yup.
  • Bombchus -> yup.
  • GB-style potion - that kicks in when you die -> <3<3<3
  • Animal partners -> I can live without them-
  • Magnetic Gloves -> They suck.
  • Cane of Somaria -> I can live without that.
  • Guardian Acorn and Piece of Power -> I don't have anything to say here.
  • Slingshot - It'd pretty much be a replacement to the bow -> Bow
  • Tunics
  • Scripted active shield - One of either scripted or normal -> scripted.
  • Biggoron's Sword -> pretty cool.

Magic -> two passives.

Yep. My point of view.
So long, Shiek.

#23 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hey Joe, instead of making an entirely new tileset, why not help me finish the ones I've started? Really, the only problem I'm having is ripping the palettes, and having someone else to help with those would be incredibly... helpful. Plus, I already have nearly all of the tiles, all of LA's sprites, so you could do your scripting thing on the bosses that need it

#24 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(creatorofchaos @ Apr 10 2009, 03:54 PM) View Post
I would suggest using the bow AND the slingshot,that way people can choose,and if your looking for minigames.

I'll have a think about how I could include both.

I wasn't looking for minigames though, no.
I don't see why a tileset should include minigames.

QUOTE(Shiek @ Apr 10 2009, 04:25 PM) View Post

Default:
  • Scrolls -> add in the others for more combat fun Hrm ok. I wasn't going to have these, but they might fit in ok as ring sprites
  • Stone of Agony -> don't bother Yeah, I don't much like this either
  • Quivers -> I would like to see a Quiver since we see the seed satchel too I'll think about an option for both
  • Bracelets -> sure Yeah ok
  • Boomerang -> yay! and one that it directable oO Ooh, level 2 boomerang. I hadn't thought of that
  • Super Bombs -> go for Bombflowers, I'd like them I don't really want to do bomb flowers
  • Bow -> please I'll have a think
  • Candle -> Lantern What's a lantern likely to be like?
  • Bait -> Scent Seeds Eh... I don't think I want to do that really
  • Letter -> why not. Because we won't have the potions
Scripted:
  • Slingshot -> Bow Oh, so bow over slingshot
  • Tunics Hrm...
  • Scripted active shield -> scripted. Does sound like a better idea really
  • Biggoron's Sword -> pretty cool. Maybe

I cut it out to show the ones that are different from what I thought.
My responses in bold.

QUOTE(Relic @ Apr 10 2009, 04:59 PM) View Post
Hey Joe, instead of making an entirely new tileset, why not help me finish the ones I've started? Really, the only problem I'm having is ripping the palettes, and having someone else to help with those would be incredibly... helpful. Plus, I already have nearly all of the tiles, all of LA's sprites, so you could do your scripting thing on the bosses that need it

Well, it wouldn't be an entirely new tileset because I have already done a lot of work on it.
Did you decide to go for one tileset or two seperate ones in the end?
And it'd be more scripted items than bosses, I don't really fancy doing bosses for a tileset.
I'd be happy to say, I do all the dungeon palettes and you do all the overworld ones or something though.

#25 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Apr 9 2009, 03:33 PM) View Post

the kanagaroo which I can't seem to remember the name of

The kangaroo's name is Ricky. That used to annoy me, especially when my siblings laughed about it. icon_sweat.gif

And I didn't really like Oracle of Seasons, and I never finished Oracle of Ages, so I can't really offer anything constructive here.

#26 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Apr 10 2009, 09:37 AM) View Post

Well, it wouldn't be an entirely new tileset because I have already done a lot of work on it.
Did you decide to go for one tileset or two seperate ones in the end?
And it'd be more scripted items than bosses, I don't really fancy doing bosses for a tileset.
I'd be happy to say, I do all the dungeon palettes and you do all the overworld ones or something though.

Well, they're not so much tilesets as they are starter kits, in a way. Everything (except scripted bosses, obviously) would be set up beforehand and downloaded as a quest, so that authors only need to place the tiles and stuff, and the game will be ready to go

And yes, I did go for multiple tilesets (3 in fact), simply because of ZQuest's palette limitations. But, it's not beyond me to compress them into one comprehensive tileset, if I need to

#27 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hrm well, I would be interested in working together on something.
I'd be a lot happier were it one tileset rather than 3 though.

Could I have a look at what you have so far?

#28 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

I thought over it again and eventhough I'm pretty impressed by the Potion that restores live I feel like it won't destroy the tileset if the potion is included, too, than it'll be a bit like OoT, having a fairy and a red potion in a bottle .You can add alternate sprites of stuff in bottles: Potion, Fairy, Milk (for those who dislike potions or fairys)... and the letter is a bit of 'sidequest' (well, not much) but <- scritped shops, I've forgotten. uU.

Oh, and give us the 'L' button even if it's not pretty GB-ish. Talking to NPC's by using it was too cool icon_wink.gif. Or buying items. Or reading signs. Woohoo.

Can't await your tileset xX.

So long, Shiek.

Edit: the lantern: just the candle, with the lantern sprite of ALttP, maybe Gamboyfied style

Edited by Shiek, 10 April 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#29 Elmensajero

Elmensajero

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Reduced to differences and/or ones I wanted to comment on.

Default:
  • Bracelets - GBstyle power bracelets! lol, j/k unless you changed your mind about scripting them, which I doubt you have. As far as keeping the LOZstyle bracelets in, sure, why not.
  • Defence Rings - I think the tunics idea is better.
  • Flippers - I prefer the actual flippers item.
  • Amulet - I don't really remember what this item did, so no preference I guess.
  • Bow - maybe, I actually prefer the Slingshot, see note below
  • Candle - Would be replaced with the Ember seeds. Hmmm, it seems kind of weird to have one kind of seeds but not any other. What about replacing with Magic Powder instead?
  • Whistle - Not if it is LOZstyle. I can't really think of a feasible way to include it as a GBstyle ocarina/flute at the moment...
  • Wand/Book - Might be able to set up like the LA wand which can power through ice combos. Yeah, I would say have the book as an invisible item so that the wand acts like the LA wand.
  • Hammer - I would say no...
Scripted:
  • Harp of Ages - If you are including Rod of Seasons, might as well include this too.
  • Ember Seeds - Again, I would suggest using Magic Powder, unless you really like the Ember Seeds for some reason.
  • Scripted active shield - scripted
Note: If you used the Slingshot instead of the bow, then you could also script a Hyper Slingshot as an upgrade to it that would work similarly to how it was in OoS.

Edited by Elmensajero, 10 April 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#30 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

The default items left out will just have to be added to the subscreen manually. The tileset isn't gonna force you to lose your original potions, ladders, rafts, etc. You just have to know a little about the subscreen editor to put them back. icon_shrug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users