Photo

Screenshot of the Week 400!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 400 (82 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(Franky @ Mar 6 2013, 09:03 AM) View Post

"Marco: Before you submitted your work, it is likely you chose your best work and greatest effort screenshot in this contest"

Do you get that from my shot? That's not exactly the shot I'd use to try an win the biggest sotw turnout in it's entire history. icon_smile.gif

Yes! And I am fully aware and can easily tell which shots have more casual effort. For the fact that this is just a special event, I submitted. If we, I, you really wanted to try and win we would have.

#32 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Marco @ Mar 6 2013, 08:07 AM) View Post

Yes! And I am fully aware and can easily tell which shots have more casual effort. For the fact that this is just a special event, I submitted. If we, I, you really wanted to try and win we would have.
Not 100% sure if this IS the biggest turnout, should probably note that. The main reason I submitted something here was to try and help make this the biggest turnout ever, did we do that?

Anyone know? icon_razz.gif

Edited by Franky, 06 March 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#33 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

I do recall certain SotW events containing two polls due to the turnout, but I am not sure of how many, though.

#34 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(Marco @ Mar 6 2013, 11:29 AM) View Post

I do recall certain SotW events containing two polls due to the turnout, but I am not sure of how many, though.

I think thay was for soty.

#35 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(Franky @ Mar 6 2013, 08:09 AM) View Post

Not 100% sure if this IS the biggest turnout, should probably note that. The main reason I submitted something here was to try and help make this the biggest turnout ever, did we do that?

Anyone know? icon_razz.gif

Yes, this is the biggest turnout. We have 21 entries this week. The second biggest contest was 15 entries (SotWs 54 and 333), which were so big at the time that they had to be split into two different threads. The previous record-holder for a single thread was SotW 339, with 14 entries.

QUOTE(Marco @ Mar 6 2013, 08:29 AM) View Post

The poll has been split four times: SotW 54 (15 entries), SotW 200 (12 entries), SotW 315 (13 entries), and SotW 333 (15 entries).

For more fun facts about the contest, check out this thread. icon_smile.gif

#36 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(Marco @ Mar 6 2013, 11:28 PM) View Post
*Rant*
Here's the thing, Marco:

I'll improve the dirt as nicklegends stated he didn't like and gave a reason why so. That's not just constructive but helpful criticism too. Now, don't misinterpret me having a fit like you did last time, I was totally chilled, I just wanted to know what's so "mere DoR" about my shot considering that there was nothing really plainly DoR about my shot besides the big treetops and Link tiles. I'll admit I was a bit frustrated when I saw Moosh's comment calling my shot incredibly boring and attaching a low rating on my shot, not because of the fact he didn't like it but because there was no real helpful suggestions on how to improve my shot. I will listen to yous if you'd just give me the same courtesy of listening to me asking to further more expand your reasons why yous didn't like it. Note that I didn't embrace nor replied to any praise whatsoever.
QUOTE(Bad Critic IMO)
Marco: Your shot looks like any other Metroid out there. I almost feel into deep sleep just looking at it.
QUOTE(Good Critic IMO)
Marco: I don't really like your shot, I'd slightly move from a Metroid feel and give it your own as it feels like it's just another Metroid. You can do this by [insert helpful suggestions here].
Now, do you understand? I hope this clarifies. I won't be continuing this, my point still stands no matter what.

Now, back on topic I would have voted for either Supindahood or Jared. Both appealing shots, but kudos to Supindahood for making his entry animated! icon_smile.gif

Edited by Shane, 06 March 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#37 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Shane your screen design is fine but I dont like it. What don't you get from that?

Must I say, remove dirt tiles? That would make the screen less appealing than it is. You did good but didnt achieve the great and that is because of my personal preferences as I stated.

Like I said I dont have to say anything. This isn't critique shot thread, your entry is static.

Edited by Marco, 06 March 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#38 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Anthus: Not digging the palette. I get what you were going for with the pink, but it just sears my eyes. Nice layout and tiles though!

Aslion: Solid shot you have going on here, however something looks a little odd about the cliff near the waterfall.

Schwa: Oooh, neat scripted boss. The screen is a bit dark so it's hard to tell what's going on, but it is certainly more detailed than most boss arenas.

Kurt: Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaze. I cannot see anything through the haze. I imagine it wouldn't look so good in gameplay either. Perhaps try adding more transparent areas in the mist?

Supindahood: Amazing tiles and nice animated submission. The layout itself is a little generic (River+Bridge, path is roughly an "H"), but it looks pretty enough that I can certainly look past that.

Theryan: Beautiful. I cannot find anything wrong with this. Voted.

Moosh: SPLOOSH! /maturity

Master4sword: I don't like the way the river goes through the trees. It looks incredibly odd when you can see the trees go behind the mountain. The second part of the mountain going north off the top of the screen also looks a little suspect.

Justin: Holy crap, that is nice. My only suggestion is making it a little more clear that Link cannot walk on the raised sand (I assume he can't....) in the upper left corner.

Orin: Incredibly average. Nothing jumps out at me about this and nothing I can see that's wrong with it.

nicklegends: I really like this gimmick. My only suggestion would be to make the river and paths less uniform. If you were going for a more manmade look, perhaps use a pavement tile instead of the dirt? Again, very cool idea.

Spacemang Dan: The perspective with the trees and the walls has been pointed out before, but it doesn't really bother me. The only thing I can really suggest is maybe a little water detail?

Shane: My biggest gripe with this screen is the repetition with the giant trees. I get that you're trying to make a deep forest, but those giant trees should be used sparingly (or even just a little bit less of them) imo. They make it feel very monotonous. While I usually don't have a problem with mass-placing trees, the size of those makes it feel a bit off to me.

Franky: I'm not entirely on board with the 1-tile wide space filling curves with the fences. Maybe change out some of the fences to add more variety to the obstacles?

Sepulcher: I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with this shot, but the middle feels incredibly open.

Koh: Very solid layout and tile placement for the most part. However, I have to take issue with the tiles themselves. The grass tiles that are on top of other grass tiles looks incredibly strange and unfitting, while the mountains transitions into the ground above them is also very...off... I can't say I'm fond of the palette either. Perhaps something more subdued?

Marco: Certainly something different. So different that it's hard to judge it by the same measure as the other screens. I like what I see though.

Geoffrey: If you can actually make a quest like this, I would be in awe.

Nick: I'm not too fond of the BS set, but I think you've done a solid job. I feel like the right side of the screen is definitely stronger than the left. It's probably due to the path though.

LtM: Aquamentus! Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a LttP/Pure version of Fairy Dream. icon_razz.gif

Jared: Very solid screen without any glaring flaws. I'm not entirely sold on the color of the roof tiles, but that's entirely up to you.

Very good turnout this week with a lot of great shots.

#39 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Schwa scared me

#40 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Had I not been in the poll and nulled, I would have voted for Theryan. I don't think words can quite accurately depict my love for this screen. Awesome work. icon_thumbsup.gif

On my own shot, the biggest issue people seem to have have to do with the trees. I'll definitely look into what I can do to make them better for the area or possibly just find a replacement for them that would look better. Thanks for the feedback. icon_smile.gif

#41 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

OMG, very very very hard to decide!!!

I voted for Master4sword. The backbround trees are nice. There's also a great ground-design! icon_biggrin.gif

#42 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone for your comments. icon_smile.gif The screenshot I submitted was from a long time ago (2008/2009?). Back then Fairy Dream was done in a Pure Remembrance-like tileset (not the one in the database, but one Nick made). This is from that version of the quest, which actually had an entirely different Moon Cave.

I was very divided between Supindahood and Theryan, but I ended up voting for Supindahood. To me SotW is a combination of tiles, palettes, and screen layout. While Theryan's layout was definitely better than Supindahood's (though Supindahood's layout is not bad), to me just the overall visual appeal of Supindahood's just barely managed to win this one for him. Kudos to both of them for making such amazing screenshots.

I wish I had time to go through and comment on each screenshot (I had been meaning to all week), but sadly I don't think I'll get the chance before the week is over. Thanks everyone for your contributions, and I'm glad we could make this into such a huge turnout. icon_thumbsup.gif

#43 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Anthus - Cool pyramid. Interesting horizon. Neat how you pulled it off in classic.
Aslion - Very nice GB screen.
Schwa - You certainly know how to be unique. I'm a little confused over the subscreen portion, but I love what you do with the colors.
kurt91 - Nice effect. Unfortunately, I can't really see the rest of the screen well enough, so you might be selling yourself short because of that.
Supindahood - Love the overall look and the animations. This just aims for perfection, and gets my vote. The subscreen is also magificent, yet simple.
Theryan - Nice elevated screen. I'm wondering how it would look if the horizon line was slightly lower, rather than perfectly aligned with the topmost ledges. It might make it seem more real.
Moosh - It's good, but not the most interesting of the bunch.
Master4sword - Way too straight for my tastes, but I like what you did with the background trees to give a sense of a much larger forest. However, it does create a straight line at the top, making it also seem very unrealistic.
justin - Beautiful graphical choice, and pretty good design.
Orin XD - It's good, but not the most interesting of the bunch. I'm guessing spellcard must be magic, and I have no idea what spirit is. You've ticked my curiosity there at least.
nicklegends - Unless it's meant to be a narrow canal, the waterway is too straight. To get something more real, it would probably need to also be wider when using this tileset. The rest of the screen looks good, although not the most interesting compared to others.
SpacemanDan - Certainly an interesting choice of graphics. Graphically though, the building seem inconsistent with the rest of the screen. It might be a perspective issue, but I am not sure.
Shane - You really get a sense of significance with this screen over something that is conceptually quite simple. I like to see such screens every now and then.
Franky - "So, it's part of a maze.", is all I am getting out of this.
Sepulcher - It's good, but not the most interesting of the bunch. By now everybody is hating this recording. I am very sorry for that. I do like the subscreen portion.
Koh - Different graphics, which seem easier to use than a lot of more popular choices. I think it's design is pretty good, just not the most interesting other than the fact of what you are using.
Marco - Very nice graphics, and clearly it took quite the effort. Not sure of its gameplay functionality, but that is why we one day play it to find out.
Geoffrey - Another one of great eye candy. Considering the perspective of these graphics, it's hard to pull too much off in a screen of ZC size, but I think you pulled it off well.
Nick - Good old BS still keeps me smiling.
LinktheMaster - Ah yes, I do remember that. I really enjoyed that Aquamentus battle.
Jared - Pretty good too. Somewhat interesting.

I'd say more if I had all day to look at these. Best turnout ever!

#44 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

By the way guys, the shot I submitted was because I didn't have time. icon_smile.gif I wasn't expecting to win or anything, but I wanted to at least be a part of it. icon_biggrin.gif We had a really big turnout this week and that's what we wanted. Thanks to those of you who critiqued my screen. icon_wink.gif

#45 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Mar 11 2013, 04:12 AM) View Post

Orin XD - It's good, but not the most interesting of the bunch. I'm guessing spellcard must be magic, and I have no idea what spirit is. You've ticked my curiosity there at least.

The Spirit meter, based on the one from Touhou 12.3, is actually the quest's magic meter, which is constantly being recharged with a Magic Ring because almost all attacks except for the basic mele attack consumes magic in this quest. The Spellcard stars will run on a scripted system.

QUOTE(Sepulcher @ Mar 11 2013, 06:19 AM) View Post

By the way guys, the shot I submitted was because I didn't have time. icon_smile.gif I wasn't expecting to win or anything, but I wanted to at least be a part of it. icon_biggrin.gif We had a really big turnout this week and that's what we wanted. Thanks to those of you who critiqued my screen. icon_wink.gif

Same here, and that I wanted to show off something Touhou for SotW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users