• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Code

Here's another update. This should fix all the weird Link teleporting bugs and such.

For the crossing stairs in the first area, you set them up wrong. Those staircases just pass right by each other, so you don't actually need to have the 'cross' type stair in there. If they were one tile further apart, they'd meet in the middle - that's when you use the cross type.

Having stairs span multiple screens is harder than I thought it would be. Apparently you can't manipulate Link at all while the screen is scrolling, so at the very least you couldn't have him smoothly walking up the steps while the screen is changing.

And the quest looks really nice, by the way.

#17 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Here's another update. This should fix all the weird Link teleporting bugs and such.

Bug fixes are confirmed.

http://www.mediafire...tlevania(2).qst

The only thing left to do is screen-connecting stairs... Lack of which currently prevents Link from completing 1-2 in this quest without cheats. :swelter:

#18 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Code

This should let stairs work between screens, but it looks real jumpy. I'm not really sure how to fix that.

#19 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Installed new version of the script into my quest. And while testing found more bugs.

1. If Link goes into horizontally adjacent screen right after exiting stairs he will phase trough solid floor.

zelda003_zps0e144db4.pngzelda004_zps7fe37cdf.png

Apparently the script assumes there would be more stairs further in the Link`s direction, but actually stairs end one combo before the edge of the screen.

2.Attempt to work around jumpy "multi-screen-stairs" animation by turning on "No screen scrolling" quest rule results in a royal warping madness that destroys the quest like a building made of playing cards.

Download updated. http://www.mediafire...castlevania.qst

Edit: another bug.

3. Going trough scrolling side warp while on stairs causes Link to fall off stairs.

zelda005_zps5f0e9b22.png

http://www.mediafire...tlevanialv3.qst

Edited by Alucard648, 03 July 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#20 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Code

This should fix all three of those problems. It does look a lot better without the scrolling.

Edited by grayswandir, 05 July 2013 - 02:50 AM.

#21 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Script fails to compile.

fail1_zps26f1f3df.png

#22 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

Oh, sorry, I forgot the import line at the top. I fixed the above post, or you can just stick the following line it top:

import "std.zh"

#23 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Ok. I have installed new version of the script into the quest. I can confirm first two bugs to be fixed but the scrolling side warp bug is still here. And it becomes much nastier with "No screen scrolling" quest rule turned on. Also same kind of bug occurs when stairs used in conjunction with maze paths.

zelda007_zpsc11dad74.pngzelda008_zpsa5106b26.png

Also while testing found another bug: Link does not fall and still walks on air if stair combos underneath Link change into another combo via combo cycling or triggering secrets.

zelda006_zps9c612dc0.png

As usual new test quest download:

http://www.mediafire...tlevaniav31.qst

#24 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Code

This should fix the side warps - I hadn't considered a side warp to the same screen.

This will work without any effort if you leave scrolling on.

If you turn scrolling off, you'll need to place the ScreenChange FFC on any screen which warps to itself. Set the FFC to use Combo 1 (or anything other than 0), the ScreenChange script, and then give it the 'Run Script at Screen Init' and 'Script Restarts When Carried Over' flags. (And maybe turn off FFC carryover altogether? I've never really used that, so I'm a bit fuzzy on some of the details.)

Sorry about resorting to using an FFC, but I couldn't think of a better way to detect the screen 'changing' when you're ending up on the same exact screen.

I hadn't planned on the stairs changing. I'll see what I can do about it.

#25 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Scrolling warp bug fix confirmed. :thumbsup:

I hadn't planned on the stairs changing. I'll see what I can do about it.

I am waiting for it...

P.S. Currently testing stairs that can be jumped on.

Update. Another bug. :twisted:

Link can get stuck in the wall if stairs are paced so they end up against column of solid combos.

zelda009_zps75955fa2.png

Here those orange rocky pillars are solid combos.

It`s possible to reproduce this bug in stage 4-1.

Update #2: Found another bug.

F6 -> Continue while in midair causes Link`s velocity to be carried over to "Continue Here"`s warp return point which causes wierdness if the point is placed too close to the top of the screen, like in stage 4-1.

http://www.mediafire...u8wxnzrhq7u6im5

Updated quest.

Edited by Alucard648, 11 July 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#26 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Link to footage, please.

Just so that you know that I haven't been ignoring this: I will have to scan through all of my media cards (some twenty or more) to find the demo/LP videos. I had downloaded them about two years back, and I haven't any recollection of the name of the game or the engine, nor do I have them bookmarkd... I tend to download all videos, rather than streaming them, using tools such as IDM. At the time, I expected that it was well-known, and something I would try at some point, and not somethong I would have to search for to rediscover. I stumbled on them while harvesting Akumajou game LPs for a mate so that I could show him the difference between releases, such as the DOS and C64 versions, etc..

I do recall that it seemed, in terms of graphics, to be styled after 'Dracula II: Noroi no Fuuin', but seemed to use 'Akumajuo Dracula' type items and was running on Windows (version unknown, but I suspect XP). It was clearly not a ROM-hack, although IMHO, the best of those is 'Chorus of Mysteries', as the ASM changes are especially fantastic, and it was a serious challenge without being stupidly unfair. (I particularly liked the laurel item.)

When I do find the videos, I will try to find you links, but if they aren't on-line at this point, I will upload them to my server for you.

#27 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

I do recall that it seemed, in terms of graphics, to be styled after 'Dracula II: Noroi no Fuuin', but seemed to use 'Akumajuo Dracula' type items and was running on Windows (version unknown, but I suspect XP).

Aren`t they named "Castlevania Quest" and "Dracula`s Shadow"?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=O3LM_NWmZNo

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rCyNXwCVVA0

On topic: looks like the script uses hardcoded constant for Link`s jump height. I am planning to implement a late-game item called Roc`s Wing that boosts Link`s jump height and suggesting to use "height muptiplier" varibale in Roc`s feather item data. 

#28 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

I will have to watch those videos to confirm if either are right; my Internet connection via my mobile isn't terribly fast at present, so it will take a while to download them.

I have been discussing this quest on its Development Page... The latest changes to the Demo Database and Quest Projects area (which are probably the result of some of my requests to LinkTheMaster regarding being able to update demos) made finding this very difficult again...

The bug in stairs ending on a solid combo may still exist, as it happened to me in the game, however jumping out of the wall tended to work. I would advise that this is less of a bug in the stairs, and more of an issue with combo placement... If you put a walkable combo on a screen and a solid combo on the screen adjacent to it, the same problem occurs; it's a Zelda quirk that you can't bypass.

One of the quirks that bothered me deals with getting on and off the stairs. I think that you should press up and down to climb the stairs, and right and left should exit; when climbing up, on reaching a platform, I often find myself pressing left and going back down, or right and going back up. This of course is critical for the entry and exit combos, and less important for the rest of the staircase unless you want to be able to accidentally fall to your death.

In CV, you were latched to the staircase until your reached the top or bottom, and exiting or entering was smooth. I found that while it isn't terribly hard to enter a staircase, I often has cheap hits exiting because I was continually goung up and down, when pressing left or right to get off the staircase.

What is the most current version of this script?

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 19 July 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#29 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

What is the most current version of this script?

The one which is installed in the current demo.

#30 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

So the code finally got too long to post.

Sorry for the delay. I've been quite busy lately and adding in the disappearing stairs was quite difficult - I had to try a couple different approaches before I found one that worked.

I added in an OnContinue global script that should fix the continue bug, but haven't tested it. Let me know if it doesn't work.

I noticed that this version has a small bug, where you can't enter stairs directly below you, you have to be at least a pixel over.

In the next day or two I'll post a version with a script for the Roc's Wing, and hopefully a fix for that bug. It should be easy enough to get at.

Now to go catch up on everything else I missed...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sideview, castlevania, stairs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users