Photo

Screenshot of the Week 488

Sheik Nekoishi Shane Fireblast124 joelmacool12 Dwarlen Jared EpY

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 488 (73 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

I thought you can.

It's just customary to not vote for a screenshot if you are in the screenshot contest yourself. It's not required to not vote, but that's what most people tend to do. :)

• Joelmacool and ZeldaPlayer like this

#17 Plutia

Plutia

CPU of Planeptune

• Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

It's just customary to not vote for a screenshot if you are in the screenshot contest yourself. It's not required to not vote, but that's what most people tend to do. :)

I guess I'll follow that custom, then. Nulling my vote. Good luck to all!

• David likes this

#18 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

Nulled my vote as well. I would probably have voted for Shane, though. It's a good GB Zelda dungeon screen (some would even go so far as to call it gamboytastic, indeed). Maybe the Windfish thingies could be used a little more sparingly, though.

Thanks for the feedback on my screen, everybody. I might actually have committed to that project, too. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Sheik, 29 December 2014 - 03:23 PM.

• Shane and Jared like this

#19 Zahalfor

Zahalfor

• Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

Nulled my vote as well, but then, I might be biased towards Dwarlen's screen :D. So, anyway, that said, I think everyone did great this week.

Nekoishi-I really like this screen, it's a little different from what I'm used to, but it has a lot of mystery in it to me :)

Shane-looks like this screen would be fun to play, be interesting to see how it fit into the rest of the dungeon

Fireblast124-Happy Screenshot of the Week to you, too! :) Neat idea, and I like your palette

joelmacool12-I like this screen, personally I'd like to see more color, but I gather this is an arid area, so I understand that may not be feasible

Dwarlen-as I said, I might be biased on this, but I love this screen :) I think Dwarlen did a fantastic job on his new palette and I like that mysterious dungeon entrance, keep going brother :)

Sheik-this is a very pretty forest glade, I particularly like the bird statue in the center and the broken pillars give a feel of age, like maybe Link is the first person to step into this clearing in a long time

Jared-another pretty screen, though I also think the palette must be foreboding a storm, it just has that look, maybe that's why Epona's rearing? she heard a thunderclap? :)

EpY-this screen has a nice feel to it, looks complete and on the edge of an adventure, though the walkway is so white and clean looking I'm wondering who has to clean it... :D

Great entries this week everyone, thanks for sharing :)

#20 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

Nulled my vote as well. I would probably have voted for Shane, though. It's a good GB Zelda dungeon screen (some would even go so far as to call it gamboytastic, indeed). Maybe the Windfish thingies could be used a little more sparingly, though.

Thanks for your advice Sheik. I removed the top-most and bottom-most reliefs. I want to resprite them so they don't feature the Windfish, but rather the Goddesses... for certain reasons.

#21 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

Very good screens have been submitted this week. It was difficult for me to choose who to vote for, but nonetheless, I came to a conclusion of voting for Sheik. Just note that I have to be really picky and possibly slightly harsh this week due to the fact that all these screenshots are spectacular. Anyway, here are my comments and critiques for each submitted screenshot:

Nekoishi-

• This screen was a bit confusing to me at first sight, I have to admit. However, after analyzing it a bit more, I realized that this is actually a really well made side-scroller screenshot. This screen has nice symmetry to it, which is always neat. Also, the atmosphere is very dark and intimidating which is reflected very well with the screen. The ladder tiles (I think they are ladder tiles) look a bit out of place, though; perhaps it is because they are a little too bright? Otherwise, this is an excellent side-scroller screen.
  • 8.5/10 (Great)

Shane-

• This is a really great dungeon screen. Those switch blocks are definitely nostalgic, but in a good way. Structurally, the dungeon is nicely crafted and the walls synthesize themselves very nicely. On a more detailed level, the floor of the screens seems to be missing a few details such as enemies, pots, or any other dungeon-related thing. It still looks very sound, however. Great dungeon screen!
  •  8.7/10 (Great)

Fireblast124-

• Looking at the screen alone, it is a very well created classic screen. I'm not the largest fan of those purple/dark red mountains, but nonetheless, the colors of the screen blend in nicely together. The half-mountain tiles are very neat though slightly out of place. Very good classic screen, however!
  • 8.0/10 (Great)

joelmacool12-

• Structurally, this screen is definitely in a high category. There's enough room to walk around, and there's nothing that could block you near the edge of the screen. Visually, however, the colors don't blend in very well. The screen looks very monotone in color, and would be improved with a greater variety of colors. In a detail spectrum, the ground looks fine and doesn't need much detail. I do think there needs to be a great variety of tree types since they are all the same. Other than those things, this screen is good.
  • 7.7/10 (Good)

Dwarlen-

• This is a very good DoR screenshot. It's a nice winter screen and the falling snow is a nice touch. In terms of detail on the ground level, it seems to be sufficient enough to be able to walk around but still look nice. Perspectively, however, the mountain tiles at the very top of the screen looks strange somehow, though I am not able to completely pinpoint the problem. Otherwise, this is a great screen both visually and structurally.
  • 8.4/10 (Great)

Sheik-

• Now this is a definitely spectacular screen. Even when analyzing it for a while I still couldn't find any tile errors at all. Structurally, this screen is perfect. The bushes bend nicely and there's a clear definite path as to where to go. Visually, this screen is spectacular. The variety of trees and bushes all come to together nicely. There's honestly practically nothing I can critique on with this screen. Congratulations.
  • 9.7/10 (Amazing)

Jared-

• This is a greatly designed screen. Structurally, everything looks fine and everything works well. This screen also excels in the visual department. The road tiles are really great and the details are top-notch. The horse sprite doesn't really fit well with the screen visually, however. I do have to say, though; the atmosphere of the screen seems to be missing. The darker palette doesn't seem to accurately describe what is occurring; is it nighttime or cloudy? Other than that, this is definitely a great screen.
  • 8.6/10 (Great)

EpY-

• This is an excellent DoR screen. Structurally, everything is high quality and there is a clear, definite direction of structure. Visually, the shades of green work really well and give this screen a nice atmosphere. The graphics are definitely great, as are the details, though there could be a greater variety of flora. Also, the road tiles look fine themselves though the road itself should twist and turn a bit more to add great visual variety. Other than those things, this is a great DoR screen.
  • 9.0/10 (Amazing)

Wow. That took a long time to type. Anyway, congratulations to everyone, you all did great! Looking forward to the next Screenshot of the Week/Month/Year. :)

• Jared, EpY and Plutia like this

#22 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:45 PM

I wonder if I'm the only one who realizes Nekioshis shot is La Mulana inspired.

• Mr Silver and Plutia like this

#23 Mr Silver

Mr Silver

Initiate

• Members

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

You are a wise woman, then. =P

My vote is for Sheik, btw.

#24 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

How come nobody has realized the simularities between Jared's screen and EpY's screen?

• Jared and EpY like this

#25 Plutia

Plutia

CPU of Planeptune

• Members

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

How come nobody has realized the simularities between Jared's screen and EpY's screen?

Oh my god, how did I not notice that before

also I like Epy's more of those two

• EpY likes this

#26 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

I noticed the similarities, but it wasn't really worth pointing out. People do end up making similar screens; this isn't the first time. That said, I prefer Jared's more for its climatic, more natural look. But EpY's is nice nonetheless. But honestly, Sheik is still the winner for me. :P

• Jared likes this

#27 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

Fireblast for creativity, and amazing palette

• EpY likes this

#28 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

O_o

They're almost identical!!

• EpY likes this

#29 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

O_o

They're almost identical!!

10643907_720532624661548_561490513_a.jpg

Looks like someone felt very inspired by your screens, or perhaps it could be the other way around. :P

Edited by Dawnlight, 01 January 2015 - 11:27 AM.

• Jared likes this

#30 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

Holy shit! I just noticed Link moving in Fireblast's image. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sheik, Nekoishi, Shane, Fireblast124, joelmacool12, Dwarlen, Jared, EpY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users