Photo

Screenshot of the Week 489

Moosh Nekoishi joelmacool12 Dwarlen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 489 (58 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

And so begins 2015's first Screenshot of the Week competition. Let's make this another great year. :)

Nekoishi

Nekoishi.gif

There's only one way to cross this field of stars..

joelmacool12

joelmacool12.png

The lovely plains of Kutoku! Want to shop? No problem! There is a town just east of here! (First time using FireBird)

Moosh

Moosh.gif

No comments please.

Dwarlen

Dwarlen.png

Anyone for a cold swim?

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:51 PM

Moosh wins my vote. Great screen featuring Satellite Claus!

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

I voted for Dwarlen. The screen structure and colours are very nice.

#4 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

Moosh wins my vote. I liked how he used the mega man tiles. :D

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

Nekoishi: A very interesting little Classic screen. I really like the background under what I assume is a pit. The one problem is maybe that the screen lacks depth somewhat. . I assumed that was a pit but it could very well be a floor pattern since there's no place where the regular floor tapers off. Also I see the animated gif trend is going strong.

joelmacool12: I...don't hate this. The grass to dirt transition looks a little too straight, but this might be one of the more interesting Firebird screens I've seen. I'm a real sucker for screens with intersecting biomes, so it's cool seeing where a lava area and a field area meet instead of a standard scrolling transition.

Dwarlen: The palette really brings this screen together. I love me some snow areas and I really love me some blue. Why not both? Screen composition looks pretty great although there may be a misalign along the north edge depending on how the next screen over looks.

It was a really tough decision this week, but my vote goes to Dwarlen.

#6 Plutia

Plutia

CPU of Planeptune

• Members

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

Weeelp someone entered on the wrong week. Again. Oh well, I've got one more thing!

Oh, and the stars are just solid tiles set to allow hookshot to go through. It's more obvious if you look at the entrance room of the dungeon (it's from I Dunno). The gif kinda fucked itself for some reason and I'm pretty unhappy about that

Edited by Nekoishi, 04 January 2015 - 11:41 PM.

#7 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:52 PM

I vote for the blue devil boss screenshot that has a santa hat that magically appears after the body of the bot appears.

#8 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

Moosh did great work, but in this contest, we have to vote for the best screenshot, not for the best animation, so my vote goes to joelmacool12. :)

@Moosh:

By the way: Is this your enemy for "Enemy of the month - winter theme"? ;)

#9 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

> Looks at Moosh's screenshot

> Prepares weapons

> Goes here: http://www.heathrowairport.com/

> Books a ticket to the USA

You better hide Moosh, I'm coming for you.

Either way, this was a really nice turnout this week. Moosh has a really cool boss animation, but screen design wise, it's either joelmacool12 or Dwarlen. At the end though, I voted for Dwarlen because of that really nice screen design. It really looks good and I love it.

#10 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

Moosh for the screen itself, could have been any frame of the animation.

Joel takes second, but a lot of the details don't look natural, they look like they were placed to put something there. The details on the grass are better, much more subtle and natural looking, however the straight grass-dirt transition line looks unnatural.

Don't quite get the appeal of Dwarlen's screen. While I do like the palette, it needs to give me a reason to go for the cold swim. Maybe an island with a rupee or chest or cave or something. Sure, as part of a quest that reason might be obvious on an adjacent screen, but as a screenshot there isn't anything visually interesting here. It could be something subtle like footprints in the snow leading from the house to the ladder. It also suffers the issue of walking and swimming into things when scrolling in, for instance the placement of the tree looks awkward, and the house shifted one tile up so it's obvious you can't walk into it from the screen above, and giving more room to add details to this screen.

Nekoishi, looks nice, but it doesn't communicate what's actually going on. Probably makes a lot more sense in game. As someone else pointed out, a transition tile between the floor and the stars would help.

#11 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:16 AM

Nekoishi   satellite dungeon i am thinking, with some kind of panning background and flashing techy computer chip tiles. -interesting in my eyes.*

joelmacool12 

firebird ~    with fire

Moosh

The Blue Devil needs the Moosh face.' <3

Dwarlen

Somewhat firebird ~    But likes the earthbound like Link.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 07 January 2015 - 05:34 AM.

#12 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

When I saw what Moosh did, I just could not hesitate voting for him. (Garfield said it best... Nice touch.)

#13 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

Well this was the last SotW I would have imagined I'd be winning by a significant amount. Also if anyone desperately wanted to critique my shot but didn't because of the caption, go ahead. Nobody's used the "No comments please" caption in a long while so I mostly wanted to try it to see how people would react. :P

#14 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

Not to be rude to others, but I knew as soon as I seen Moosh's shot that he'd win. When you get so used to just seeing nice screens, and usually not animated ones, you're going to vote for Moosh's shot, as it's different then the norm. Also anyone who likes Mega man, will vote solely based on that.

I'm open for critique, a couple of you can bitch at me if needed, but you can't run from the truth. :P

#15 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:21 AM

Not to be rude to others, but I knew as soon as I seen Moosh's shot that he'd win. When you get so used to just seeing nice screens, and usually not animated ones, you're going to vote for Moosh's shot, as it's different then the norm. Also anyone who likes Mega man, will vote solely based on that.

I'm open for critique, a couple of you can bitch at me if needed, but you can't run from the truth. :P

I'd vote even if it was that of an 'original' or that of a Megaman clone ..  

p_txt.jpgmightygunvolt_1408203.jpg

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 08 January 2015 - 03:25 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Moosh, Nekoishi, joelmacool12, Dwarlen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users