Photo

Screenshot of the Week 182

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 182 (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 29 2007, 11:58 PM) View Post

Nuvo:

I like the propellors, but that grating just looks... odd. The colors feel like they're bleeding into eachother, and I wasn't originally sure what I was looking at.

Am I right in thinking that you ripped LTTP dirt INTO the DoR tileset? icon_odd2.gif I have to say I'm a little insulted. I can understand if DoR dirt (which is actually FF5 dirt) is not to your liking, but LTTP dirt is just light brown with a squiggle pattern on it. The dirt on the right looks better, because the squiggle pattern is less obvious. I say draw your own squiggle pattern... *anyone* could do better than LTTP dirt, and I know you can draw.

Also, I see some places where grass borders meet mountains that don't look very good. Best do some tile editing or change your layout method.

Well, I actually didn't even start with the DoR tileset. It started out as a pure styled quest anyway, you would have known if you saw the early shots of the tileset... I probably actually should use the DoR dirt as the main dirt. I have it in the quest, it's just my underwater dirt... and about the dirt pattern, well, the left dirt is actually a conveyor belt, and I haven't taken the time to put in other dirt combos that are conveyor belts. And where the dirt meets the mountain, well, I probably should do all of that. Way to point all of my laziness Radien.

My only problem with the DoR dirt is that it has a noticeable tile pattern when coated along the ground. So I'll have to do some editing.

#32 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

Nuvo - 8/10
I love the tileset, and I love what you did with it in this shot. The mountains mend well with those gates, and the ledge gives a good sense that you are looking down at the main section of the screen. It is full of personality, and that goes a long way. My vote goes here.

Evan the great - 7/10
Good tileset, decent usage. Overall good job, but it looks like something I have seen many times before. I am wondering if there is a slightly better way to show the light shining down. I am not sure if you want a brighter light or if the not so bright light was used on purpose.

CastChaos - 5/10
Can't say I dig it all that much. While there is plenty of detail, it is not the most natural looking to my eyes. The top right corner's diagonal is the main part that bothers me. I am not sure if that represents part of a building or if it represents a cliff. Perhaps a better perspective would help.

Joe123 - 7/10
Good tileset and good usage but like Evan's shot, it looks like something I have seen many times before. While I prefer the lighting in this shot over the other, I would give Evan's a slight edge on creativity of the natural elements. I do like the slight hint of a hidden treehouse with the placement of that ladder, though. Overall pretty good though.

Aribar - 4/10
Does not look very natural for an overworld shot meant to completely show that aspect. Keep it up and see what many others do, though.

Plissken - 6/10
I biggest plus is the usage of custom sprites and interesting graphics. What kills this from being my favorite shot is the fact that the design of the shot is still very simple. Cliff edges are still give the sense of a lot of straight lines, diagonals, and right angles. But hey, why not play with new graphics? They also have a lot of potential, so I would love to see more shots using these graphics provided you are still interested in using them.

Trimaster001 - 5/10
Good tileset choice, okay design, okay creativity, but great anticipation of quality gameplay. However, some of the details in parts leave me with some unanswered questions on what could be going on. Mainly, those inner walls seem to overdominate the shot. I wonder if something slightly different can be used to prevent that.

#33 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

It's not a hidden treehouse Nathaniel, that's where you have to go to fight the Gohma after it runs off with the sword icon_razz.gif

I think I should've posted a different shot really, that one looks better in action.

#34 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel)

CastChaos - 5/10
Can't say I dig it all that much. While there is plenty of detail, it is not the most natural looking to my eyes. The top right corner's diagonal is the main part that bothers me. I am not sure if that represents part of a building or if it represents a cliff. Perhaps a better perspective would help.

Not natural? Good. After all, a mountain collapsing and some twisted magic paired with abandoning makes weird environments. That diagonalness is in the topright corner is the mountainside. Originally it was smooth, but Ebola Zaire complained about its lack of detail, so I made a diagonalness in it with a rock and coloured inbuilt peebles.

Plus, I submitted this screen because there wasn't enough ones at the time of submitting. It's rather a "Hay, lookz, that Vaati guy made a weird mess!" than anything else.

#35 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Oct 30 2007, 12:59 PM) View Post

Plissken - 6/10
I biggest plus is the usage of custom sprites and interesting graphics. What kills this from being my favorite shot is the fact that the design of the shot is still very simple. Cliff edges are still give the sense of a lot of straight lines, diagonals, and right angles. But hey, why not play with new graphics? They also have a lot of potential, so I would love to see more shots using these graphics provided you are still interested in using them.

I'm am looking to submit most of those tiles when I'm finished with the ripping, and I will hopefully still go on to add more tiles from Tales of Phantasia. icon_biggrin.gif

#36 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

I personally dislike screen ratings. icon_frown.gif

#37 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Oct 30 2007, 06:31 PM) View Post

Then why enter? Cause that's like what SotW is...

#38 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:32 PM

Umm... to be honest, I don't like any of the shots.
Yeh, yeh, I hear ''OMG! U **** du bettur!'' (I can. XD JK)
But... umm... I like Nuvo's shot, but I feel every shot he submits is mostly the same.
My vote goes for Nuvo, but please Nuvo, you can do better. Add new stuff. Add a few big trees that isn't anywhere else. Like, take ten of em and put them in random screens (if the screens could have a tree)
and it will make the OW look WAY more realistic. Instead of popping the world full of the same tree, with only a color change.
Other than that, I don't know if the OW is located on an islend or what, but add thicker grass. I don't think people walks around cutting and trimming the grass everyday, do they?

#39 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Oct 30 2007, 11:31 PM) View Post

Feel same, but people take a closer look at SotW screens than Screenshot Thread screens and especially QPF screens. Try to understand the true meaning of each comment (if one has it).

#40 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Oct 30 2007, 04:32 PM) View Post

But... umm... I like Nuvo's shot, but I feel every shot he submits is mostly the same.
My vote goes for Nuvo, but please Nuvo, you can do better. Add new stuff. Add a few big trees that isn't anywhere else. Like, take ten of em and put them in random screens (if the screens could have a tree)
and it will make the OW look WAY more realistic. Instead of popping the world full of the same tree, with only a color change.
Other than that, I don't know if the OW is located on an islend or what, but add thicker grass. I don't think people walks around cutting and trimming the grass everyday, do they?

I don't have the same tree pop up with a color change. Have you even seen the Incendia tree? It's not something I'd want to draw again. That thing took 5 hours. And now that I have school, I don't have that kind of time.

And yes, the OW is in fact on an island. A heavily mountainous and volcanic island, in fact, the volcano that formed it is so tall and big that you have to find a special device to even survive on the top. There's only going to be one section of flat lands in the entire quest anyway, but I haven't even gotten there yet. I have currently so little time, that I'm lucky if I can finish one screen a week. So I'm sorry for not showing new stuff, the game is coming along really slowly.

Besides, I figure two moss covered fans and a little water spurt was cool enough for it to be new. icon_shrug.gif

And as for the grass, if someone can find some better grass tiles that AREN'T SD3 grass tiles. Please let me know.

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

Are these REALLY that similar? They're all made with the Incendia Tileset. I can understand the two most recent as they are adjacent screens, and knowing this, I find it kind of hard to hear that ALL of my submissions are the same if only the two most recent have been similar..

Edited by Nuvo, 30 October 2007 - 11:13 PM.

#41 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Oct 30 2007, 07:00 AM) View Post
Looks good. However, where the player goes to the lower elevation area, there isn't a slope. I made those curved mountains to represent a slope. I do that at many places.

Personally, I don't like the way it looks, partially because you have one rock face directly up against another rock face. However, I CAN tell what it's supposed to be.

So, if you don't change that, at LEAST change the point where the ridge meets the wall. Some things are up to interpretation, but as the person who drew those tiles, I insist: that part is dead wrong. You want it to look deeper than the surrounding area, but it's not, because the cave is at the exact same height as the rest of the area.

You didn't say the word "simmetry", but removing the layered rocks and such would make it more symmetric.

If you want to put rocks on top of other things, the best way to do it is to edit the tiles. Layering transparent versions of objects is a shortcut which doesn't always look good. Anyway, what you're trying to do is increase the variety of the tiles you're working with. If you don't have enough variety, your screens can look repetitive. But if your screen looks repetitive, it's not always the tiles' fault.

I realize tile space is limited...one way to fight this is to sort through and look for tiles that are not in use to delete. Another is to make as much use of the Flip combo function as possible. Just two ideas...

And... after Mt.Death collapsed, there WERE correct demolished land layout, (you will see it in the game as scenes), but Vaati plays around for a certain reason with the terrains, magically changing everything. Technically, it means that every time somebody points out an error, I blame Vaati.

Sorry, but this really sounds like an easy cop-out to any design problem. icon_shrug.gif For some people it will seriously challenge their suspension of disbelief.

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Oct 30 2007, 09:38 AM) View Post
Well, I actually didn't even start with the DoR tileset. It started out as a pure styled quest anyway, you would have known if you saw the early shots of the tileset... I probably actually should use the DoR dirt as the main dirt. I have it in the quest, it's just my underwater dirt... and about the dirt pattern, well, the left dirt is actually a conveyor belt, and I haven't taken the time to put in other dirt combos that are conveyor belts. And where the dirt meets the mountain, well, I probably should do all of that. Way to point all of my laziness Radien.

Ah, I see. I personally don't see it as underwater dirt, but whatever works for you.

It's often hard to tell what tileset was used as a base when someone starts ripping tiles, palettes, and Link sprites in from other tilesets. I find that I usually use DoR Link to identify my tileset, because his CSet is distinctive. However, it's working less and less often, as people rip that CSet into other tilesets along with the Link tiles... even though Dart's Minish Cap Advance Link has a palette which probably suits most non-DoR tilesets better than DoR CSet 6. icon_unsettled.gif

Anyway, sorry to notice the little things; it's habit. icon_wink.gif You might be able to get away with not editing the tiles if you are careful with how you lay combos. Sometimes it's actually easier to edit the tiles, though... it's a hard call to make.

My only problem with the DoR dirt is that it has a noticeable tile pattern when coated along the ground. So I'll have to do some editing.

Well, you don't have to use DoR dirt, but if you do, I've noticed the problem you've mentioned and have attempted to address it. Take the second tile in this screenshot and scatter it on dirt screens to lessen that noticeable pattern:

IPB Image

(This will be in version 1.2, of course.)

IPB Image

I really like those rickety-looking platforms. icon_smile.gif

#42 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:19 AM

Yeah, I like em too! You should submit them!

#43 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

It's amazing how much difference one tile can make to how an entire screen looks.

You don't happen to have something similar for the mountain tiles do you Raiden? If there's anything they're lacking, it's variety of tiles on sheer walls.

#44 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

And... after Mt.Death collapsed, there WERE correct demolished land layout, (you will see it in the game as scenes), but Vaati plays around for a certain reason with the terrains, magically changing everything. Technically, it means that every time somebody points out an error, I blame Vaati.

Hm, easy way out. Blaming the bad guy for your errors. I like it. Although it is kind of cheap. Anyways I voted for Joe. The screen is incredibly detailed. But a different forest shot probably would have been better, givin that it looks a whole lot neater when you can actually see Ghoma making off with the sword.

#45 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Oct 31 2007, 08:40 AM) View Post
It's amazing how much difference one tile can make to how an entire screen looks.

Isn't it? icon_smile.gif

Seeing patterns when a graphic is used repeatedly is always a problem. It's even noticeable in Twilight Princess.

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Oct 31 2007, 08:40 AM) View Post
You don't happen to have something similar for the mountain tiles do you Radien? If there's anything they're lacking, it's variety of tiles on sheer walls.

Nope, I don't. I recommend using more twists and turns and multiple levels of height to prevent monotony in mountains. Note what I did with the diagonals in my example screenshot earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users