Photo

Screenshot of the Week 58

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:13 PM

And the nominees are...

LinktheMaster
user posted image
Link: Now how the heck am I supposed to get over there?

Ian
user posted image

PolygonX8
user posted image
Samus discovers whoever created this quest must be a loser who just wants to show off his sprites.

Jaivaz
user posted image

Radien
user posted image
Serenia spends a relaxing afternoon at home torturing the cuccoo.

Mr. Z
user posted image

Hero Link
user posted image
Classically Brand New!!

NoeL
user posted image

UpbeatPenguin
user posted image

#2 HydraPheetz

HydraPheetz

pwhoar

• Members

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:21 PM

HOLY PIES!

Raiden: Nice use of shadows, and I just love what you've done with them! ^_^

NoEL: Lon Lon Ranch, that's a first (at least I think it is a first. O_o), but it is kinda bright. icon_neutral.gif

Hero Link: 8-BIT WOOHOO! It's nice. icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. Z: Oooohhhh... pretty good boss you've got going on in there.

PolygonX8: Looks like you took Brinstar and made it top-down. And even the caption is funny.

UpbeatPenguin: Pits, with partially visible bottoms.

Jaivaz: New ... tiles. icon_drool.gif

IaN: LTTP mountains (slightly recolored) + originality = 0wnage

LinkTheMaster: Lava... warm. icon_biggrin.gif

#3 rexlaninetales

rexlaninetales

9 tailed kitsune

• Members

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:34 PM

Sheesh! I don't know who to vote for. They're all beautiful!
LinktheMaster: Though some of the tiles tend to be over used, Nice fire job.
Ian: The boat, claw shot, and map look really sweet! Lots of originality!
PolygonX8: This Metroid quest will definitely do the others justice! Awsome sprite and landscape design dude.
Jaivaz: A very solid screenshot. Very good!
Radien: Really nice forest work! The Serenia sprite is nicely rendered too.
Mr. Z: Now here's something of intense action! This must be a custom boss! That laser looks deadly! icon_twisted.gif
Hero Link: Ah, the sweet smell of Classic...Done with layers! I'd like to see the classic tileset used with all of 1.92 capabilities.
NoeL: Not the most impressive graphics, but I can tell they're original! the barn isn't too shabby.
UpbeatPenguin: Another great ice shot! A lot of nice chilling detail. The green in the corners also form a nice contrast with the rest of the screen.
All: Well, after a bit of thinking...I'm going to vote for Radien's screen shot. The forest scene is very placid, with the exception of Serenia tormented that poor chicken. Nice contrast here, Radien.

Edited by rexlaninetales, 15 June 2004 - 10:35 PM.

#4 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:55 PM

I'm going to try something. The one person that is colorful is my vote. Just something alittle different.

LinkTheMaster: Looks pretty nice. Nice setup of the room. I like the statues, and torches. icon_razz.gif Oh, where is the Dmap at the top?

IaN: Obviously, you got my vote. I like the recoloring of the mountains, and I like the top item boxes. Looks great. icon_biggrin.gif

PolygonX8: I like the setting. I like the vine looking things on the side. Good job! icon_wink.gif

Jaivaz: I like the screen, it is ok. Not anything special. Could have out alittle more detail. Oh, did you recolor that water? Anyway, good job.

Radien: This one almost got my vote. It was a very nice use of tiles. I liked the way you used them. I really liked this screen, but I had to choose IaN's. Simply because I liked the recolored mountains, and the Item boxes at the top. But, good shot anyhow. Woah! icon_wow.gif I like those mountain tiles.

Mr_Z: I like the boss. Nothing really great about it. Kind of bland. Good job, anyway.

Hero_Link: Well, you already know. I don't like old sets. So, this one is out of the picture. Great job. icon_biggrin.gif

NoeL: This set is kind of wierd. icon_freak.gif Isn't this the Old age set? I can't remember. But, good setup. I like the barn, and the chicken. icon_biggrin.gif

UpBeatPenguin: I don't like this screen to much. What is that stuff around the edges of the dungeon? icon_freak.gif Grass or something maybe. I don't know, but It didn't really catch the eye, to me. Good job as well, though. Keep it up! icon_wink.gif

Edited by codelinker8705, 15 June 2004 - 11:00 PM.

#5 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:37 PM

This is by far the week with the most potential (what happens if there's a tie?).

LinktheMaster:
Nice work! I love the brilliant colors, nice layout. A very solid screen.

Ian:
Nice new tiles. But, everything's a little too symetrical (I know it's hard to change from that). There's a tad too much empty space.

PolygonX8:
Wow. Everything's so 2 1/2 - D!!! Very solid tiles. Layout, errr, good.

Jaivaz:
Good layout. Nice Link, too. Still, nothing I haven't really seen (though I wish my layouts were half as good as yours).

Radien:
icon_wow.gif !!! Very excellent screen!!! It's so pleasing to the eyes. So, lush and pure eye candy. Just, so, wowish.

Mr. Z:
Ho-um screen. Interesting custom boss though. Has potential.

Hero Link:
Heh. Nice do-over.

NoeL:
Very nice colors. So vibrant. Yet, those rocks feel weird. Sorry, but you might want to look at that.

UpbeatPenguin:
Hmmmm.... Very interesting screen. Definately something different. Looks promising.

So, obviously, my vote goes for Raiden icon_thumbsup.gif .

#6 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:38 PM

Radien, hands down.

#7 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:29 AM

I'm voting for Raiden. that screen is beautiful. it just LOOKS great. nothing really stands out, but it just comes together really well. good job!

#8 phil

phil

Master

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:36 AM

Noel for originamality...and cuase it's cool looking.

#9 Guest_Ganonator (Guest)

Guest_Ganonator (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:23 AM

Radien gets my vote. Truly exceptional work using forest shadows to disguise the size of the house.

Edited by Ganonator, 16 June 2004 - 01:36 AM.

#10 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:53 AM

It's too early. >_<
LinktheMaster: Another PWNing shot from LTM! I mean, that screen is just awesome! The competition isn't even close!
Ian: Pretty cool, but there's nothing there really great.
PolygonX8: Very nice. Layout okay, and tiles are superb, but I believe your beat again this week.
Jaivaz: I think the mountain tiles are a bit odd. And, the lay up is good, just nothing great.
Radien: Very nice. It all comes together well, I guess I would have voted for this one if I was entered.
Z: The shot is bland. And, I would be more surprised about the tiles if I didn't have them myself. icon_blah.gif
HL: Heh, your on a classic craze. I'm sorry to break this to you, but you're going to need to do some updating to those classic tiles to win SOTW. icon_razz.gif
NoeL: Some of the tiles are good, but not all. The trees, barn and character tiles are great, but the grass is a bit low level.
UBP: This shot is okay, nothing great. I like last week's shot better. This is more bland.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:03 AM

Wow, thanks for all the positive comments! icon_biggrin.gif This is the very first overworld screen you see in my quest, so I spent several hours on it. Phew. Y'know, those forest canopy shadows are one of my favorite things in Pure. And they're just 14 combos made from 6 tiles that only use two colors each... so simple...

By the way, the tall purple flowers I ripped from Star Ocean 1, and also the sweatdrops. Serenia is my own creation, while the rock tiles and fairy are heavily-edited versions of other people's custom tiles.

As is only fair, I null-voted, but I feel like making some comments this time around.

LinktheMaster: A very standard shot from your quest, albeit this time with lava. It's a decent-looking Pure-style screen, but there's nothing really there that'd catch any attention. Cave walls are also one of the only dungeon elements I dislike about Pure... Still, pretty decent.

Ian: Wow, this must've really been a last minute submission; I was there when you were asking about those tiles. Good job putting it all together, however I'm worried too much of the credit for coloring and ripping should be going to Nick. You have some nice custom edits of your own, though, and that pirate ship is great, though I don't know where you got it. Did you ever get Nick's waterfall animated properly?

PolygonX8: When I pick out your custom edits from this screen, they look very nice, but I think the BS tiles clash way too badly with the Metroid theme. Still, these are your best custom edits to date from what I've seen.

Jaivaz: Standard Pure with some slight customizations... it's good to see you're putting your own look on your quest. The results are average as far as custom edits go.

Radien: Mmm. Smashed chicken... Funny, the contrast didn't occur to me when I made it; tormenting the cuccoo on the screen is purely optional. icon_lol.gif

Mr. Z: Sure, these aren't the greatest custom edits ever, but if every quest out there looked as original and painstakingly customized as yours, I'd be quite happy with the results. This isn't the greatest shot ever, but it's very good. Ganondorf looks very nice.

Hero Link: I know you like Classic remake tilesets, but there really isn't much there as far as screenshots go. :\ This kind of screen doesn't look like it took long, even if it's about as good as it gets for that tileset. I've never really loved the first Zelda for its graphical style, anyway... I wish you'd go back to another set and show off your skills.

Noel: I agree; this is too bright. I liked your set better before you cartoonified it. The tile content is great, but the coloring is too glaring. I'm sure there are a lot of newbies who would love you if you perfected those rock tiles, though. They look so easy to use. Your Kokiri girl kicks butt! icon_biggrin.gif I didn't study your sprite when I made my girl in green, but it seems we were thinking similarly...

UpbeatPenguin: Looks better this time around. Did you customize the ice tiles to look broken off like that? That part about it looks perfect, but its hard to gauge the depth of the pit.

That's all! I'm not sure who I'd vote for. :\ Oh well, I don't have to decide. I've said enough. icon_smile.gif Good job, folks; Snoball said it right when he said "Holy Pies!" Once again some very nice screens out there.

EDIT: Some various error corrections. (It's KICKS, not KISSES... >_< )

Edited by Radien, 16 June 2004 - 06:52 AM.

#12 masterlink3000

masterlink3000

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:42 AM

Z gets my vote, cause the custom boss is great....

#13 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:34 AM

LinktheMaster: Nice screen.

IaN: Good looking screen. I noticed the ship has a shadow. icon_thumbsup.gif

PolygonX8: Wow. this screen (and probably the rest) looks great.

Jaivaz: Nice edits of the mountains and Link.

Radien: I sure am looking forward to this quest.

Mr. Z: The reason I won't enter SOTW again... icon_sigh.gif

Hero Link: Nice Zelda 1 remake ^_^

NoeL: That barn looks great and stuff.

UpbeatPenguin: Still looks alttp-ish to me.

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:50 AM

Heyyy, don't say that Mr. Z. I hope my comments didn't sound too criticizing, because your shot is in the top half of my favorites, at least. icon_smile.gif

#15 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 16 2004, 03:50 PM)
Heyyy, don't say that Mr. Z. I hope my comments didn't sound too criticizing, because your shot is in the top half of my favorites, at least. icon_smile.gif

No, it's not about your reply.

It's just some other people's way of telling something sucks which disgusts me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users