Photo

Screenshot of the Week 304

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (55 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

I just realized that the particular walls Russ used look a bit...odd. I know it's not his fault, but I would have made a custom palette so I could use normal dungeon walls. Maybe you could change this for the actual quest? I really hate those walls! icon_glare.gif

#17 chandgrit

chandgrit

• Members

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

EnnonFenom. You need to work on the contrast and i really hate the subscreen but on a positive note i like the enemies design.

Russ. My favorite honestly i don't have a problem with the water.

ZeeLaim. Good but the large tree look's really bad

#18 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

Russ. And not just because he's using my Link tiles and autumn palette. icon_naughty.gif

Though, as others have said, there's too much orange of one particular shade.. If I were you, I'd throw in some deeper colors. Or change some things up here and there so that everything doesn't sort of... melt together. Other than that, spot on. icon_smile.gif

#19 Gouanaco

Gouanaco

Death Knight

• Members

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

EnnonFenom: My eyes locked onto EnnonFenom screenshot it's mushed up but i love the color of the trees, berries and Creatures. And i Guess i just Love forests. _Vote_

Russ: Nice mixture and the grass hanging over the water if that is water looks nice.

ZeeLiam: Love the cracked house and the grass and dirt.And i Like the mixture of colors yellow and brown. + The water mixes with the screen very well.

#20 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:55 AM

EnnonFenom:

Hmmm. It's kinda speckly and crazy and looks really flat. You've got a few good things going with the trees, but you need to learn more about black outlines and shading with multiple colors. Also, the sprite colors look rather weird with the palette you've constructed...

Russ:

I recommend against using dungeon walls in an overworld CSet. In your palette, the colors for those walls are too light, and the wall tops are not only too dark, but a really weird shade of orange. In fact, I'd truly avoid using these walls in a daytime palette at all. There's too much black; it doesn't look right in daylight.

Overlapping grass on top of stuff like dungeon water is also weird. And while I'm at it, a small suggestion: don't let Leevers appear on solid floors. It's odd to see them burrow out of the solid floor, in my opinion. You could use some "no enemies" flags to keep them from appearing in odd places. That's how I like to do it, anyway.

I'd suggest you try to be a little more conventional with your use of dungeon elements. There are a few overworld elements that work fine in dungeons, and a very small number of dungeon objects that work well outdoors, but for the most part you don't want to overlap them that much. And unless this overworld area is supposed to look really bizarre, try using more greens and fewer purples.

The subscreen is standard DoR, and looks completely unedited... so... nothing to say about it, except that everything looks like it's working correctly.

ZeeLiam:

Well, let's see... no subscreen, it's a ZQuest shot with no sprites or action, and none of the tiles are new. Buuut... I have to admit, you've got some good design going here. The Gameboy tiles are used quite correctly and sensibly -- at least, in almost all cases -- and traversing this screen wouldn't be a pain.

I voted for ZeeLiam, though I wasn't terribly excited about the competition this week.

#21 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:28 PM

I vote for Russ. That's an awesome dungeon screen. The best I've seen by you.

#22 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

EnnonFenom - 8 votes = [18.60%]
Russ - 18 votes = [41.86%]
ZeeLiam - 17 votes = [39.53%]
Total Votes: 43

Russ
IPB Image
Wandering deeper into the forest, Link finds an ancient structure looming over him. But what lies inside? And why does he get the nagging feeling he's seen this before?

Congratulations Russ! Great job on a close fought battle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users