Photo

An Item Fantasy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Poll: General Feedback (12 member(s) have cast votes)

How good was the demo?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which dungeons did you enjoy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 klop422

klop422

Evil Crazy Mastermind

• Members

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

Woo! Three years after the last time I showed this off, it's back!

In essence, this is an NES-style quest, though it's admittedly a bit more linear.

Here is a copy-and-paste from the project page for stuff that there's no need to elaborate upon here:

Story:

Spoiler

Dungeons:
Spoiler

Credits:
Spoiler

As for updates since 2014 (if anyone cares):

- I've fixed most issues that were brought up (I think).

- I've made up to Level 7, though only 1-4 are in the demo.

- I've removed a load of items that I couldn't find a good reason to keep. (Yes, given the name, it is a bit ironic)

- And more... maybe? Honestly can't remember everything.

I'll leave the link to the project page here:

https://www.purezc.n...=projects&id=51

The demo to try is '4-dungeon Demo'. If it's not clear, that contains only the first four dungeons. Also, the conspicuous moblins won't be there in the final quest - they're just there to stop you going too far in this demo.

• Lightwulf likes this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

Well, this was an alright demo. I got up to about halfway through Level 4, got stuck and then ended it there. From what I played though, I guess I'm kinda torn between "Not Good" and "Decent".

To begin with, I like the idea of the quest, and the dungeons were generally fun to play through. The block puzzles involving the block hole tiles were quite creative, I don't think I've seen many people make use of them. I definitely found dungeon progression to be better than the overworld progression. The screen design in general was decent for the most part, but I feel like most areas weren't designed too well, with weird colour choices and general emptiness (especially in the starting area). Maybe adding more ground details, or more grass and trees in some areas could definitely make the overworld look nicer. As far as dungeons go, I can't really comment on that since they do feel very Z1-like with Levels 3 and 4, but Levels 1 and 2 were pretty nice. I think a problem with Level 4 from what I played is that there was a ton of copy paste rooms, which I guess isn't too much of an issue if that's what you're going for, but I dunno, it felt repetitive to me IMO.

Some small things I found:

suFJ5NDoRqOp-L99AYKKbA.png

Tile error to the bottom-right.

YYxCJ0KDS8_1D9s27vUGxw.png

I spawn here when I leave the cave.

R764vnzWQbq-EDdKXgTgyQ.png

I dunno if the map was supposed to be out in the open like that, or spawn when you kill all enemies.

KC64UnOAScSMBQ_bpmzFlA.png

Not sure if those enemy tiles are intentional, but they look really weird.

5x_Q107bQXOYVXfen72Okw.png

This sentence makes no sense to me.

tNsDywwrT6uwko3_CFx2Xw.png

You can run out of bombs here when fighting the Dodongo (didn't happen to me though). I'd probably say to do something similar to Level 1's boss fight and add a Blue ChuChu spawner somewhere.

Overall, I didn't really love nor hate this demo, I'm kinda in the middle. So I'll go ahead and vote for "Decent", but just about. As for my favourite dungeon in the demo, I'll probably go for Level 2, that was quite nice.

#3 klop422

klop422

Evil Crazy Mastermind

• Members

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for your review. Just fixing the minor issues now.

The point in Abei is that I run his sentences through google translate until they reach equilibrium (i.e. they stop changing). I like it, but I guess if enough people complain, I'll rewrite the lines so that they are a bit more readable.

I'll explain level 4 in a spoiler just in case someone wants to work it out themselves.

Spoiler

In any case, I should probably explain the gimmick somewhere in the quest, right?

• Eddy likes this

#4 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

In any case, I should probably explain the gimmick somewhere in the quest, right?

Yeah I think mentioning that somewhere in the quest would be very helpful, I had no idea what I was doing because of that.

#5 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

streaming this now

http://www.twitch.tv/newjourneysfire

#6 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

It's improved from what I remember, but it's still Item Fantasy. It's the same thing you gave us so many times I've lost count. lol

#7 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users