Photo

Screenshot of the Week 517

Demonlink Joelmacool12 NewJourneysFire symbiote01 GrantGreif Gabriel Baron

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 517 (60 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:01 AM

Joelmacool12

Joelmacool12.png

What a weird screen... could the trees be telling me something?

NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire.png

Listen! Whirlwinds can exist under water! I know whirlwinds just like I know gravity!!

symbiote01

symbiote01.png

Hmm, looks deserted.  Let's stare at the barrel.

(and yes, the clock actually works)

GrantGreif

GrantGreif.png

All of the enemies are exactly what you think they are.

Gabriel Baron

Gabriel%20Baron.png

As Link walks through the Ezra Desert, he finds the Mirage Castle. What would he find there?

Demonlink

Demonlink.png

"You must forgive me my dear... But, imagine what fate my life will have if I don't offer you to Brynos, the Fire Lord. I do expect this shall make him forgive me for murdering his mortal brother. What choice did I have!? It was either him or that green capped friend of yours... *sigh* I do hope the Goddesses have mercy on my soul..." - Exynos the Betrayer.

• Joelmacool likes this

#2 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:29 AM

Bit of a tough decision for me, between GrantGreif and NewJourneysFire. On the one hand, a fully-functional two-dimensional swimming section with variable water heights (meaning being able to jump in and out of the water) is an amazing thing that I want to play through in ZC, and the subscreen being included the way it is makes me hope beyond hope that it's a real thing to look out for at some point in the future and not just a cruel mock-up. On the other hand, GrantGreif's picture is dead-on in regards to how Pokemon routes are typically designed, and feels very true-to-the-source, to the point of wanting to see the finished quest just so that I can see Gold beating Pokemon to death with a stick.

I'm sorry, but the sideview picture seems more likely to be a strict mock-up, and I tend to prioritize voting on functionality rather than just appearance. You can draw just about anything in a ZC screen, if you're not worried about if it plays well. I'm voting GrantGreif on doing the Pokemon tileset, which you nearly never see, doing it extremely well, and doing it to where it appears functional and fun to play in it's own sense. (meaning that the design follows Pokemon sensibilities rather than typical Zelda fare, yet still appears to play well within the engine. I really hope that I'm getting my point across well.)

• MarinaraSauce likes this

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

I'm sorry, but the sideview picture seems more likely to be a strict mock-up, and I tend to prioritize voting on functionality rather than just appearance. You can draw just about anything in a ZC screen, if you're not worried about if it plays well. I'm voting GrantGreif on doing the Pokemon tileset, which you nearly never see, doing it extremely well, and doing it to where it appears functional and fun to play in it's own sense. (meaning that the design follows Pokemon sensibilities rather than typical Zelda fare, yet still appears to play well within the engine. I really hope that I'm getting my point across well.)

Heh, I've played this dungeon and I can assure you that's no moon mockup.

Was a close one between NJF and Demonlink this week and believe it or not it was the captions that made the decision for me. Exynos the Expositioner's monologue just got in the way of me taking Demonlink's screen seriously.

• Demonlink likes this

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:58 AM

I'm certain GrantGrief's image functions just like a pokemon game. :P

Nice images this week. :P

#5 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:06 AM

Great turnout this week! 

NJF's was a close second, but I ended up voting for Demonlink. No major complaints about the other shots. I'd say Symbiote01's shot is great in the atmosphere department, but the custom sprites are just a little unrefined. They're not terrible, as I can tell what they all are, but they definitely don't match up with the rest of the BS set.

• Demonlink likes this

#6 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:26 AM

Heh, I've played this dungeon and I can assure you that's no moon mockup.

Well then, I should probably apologize. I really hope that the quest isn't passworded, because while I can usually look at a script and at least make a guess on how it works, even when I can't recreate it myself, I've got absolutely no idea, short of tile-based inventory control, Link Tile Modifiers, and a slight downwards auto-movement, and I doubt that it works like that.

Even so, I think that I'll keep my vote as-is, if only for keeping the design sensibilities of two entirely different series in mind and still getting something that not only looks playable, but enjoyable. (again, that better be for an actual quest!)

#7 Gabriel Baron

Gabriel Baron

Medarotter Ace

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:11 AM

Joelmacool: decent screen,not much to say

NJF: i don't like that Link sprite,but i really like the screen itself.Gravity?Who needs that?Also,great map name.

Symbiote: Nice clock.another Decent screen overall.I feel like there could be less floor stones.And like Jaghnus said,the custom sprites don't really match the BS set.

GrantGreif: really cool pokemon screen.Thou i'd try to make a better diglett sprite

and Demonlink: Awesome screen,Looks like there's a really good story there.i'd say it was the best screen this week for me.

Nice screens this week.

Edited by Gabriel Baron, 20 July 2015 - 04:18 AM.

• Demonlink likes this

#8 LinkFan212

LinkFan212

EVERYDAY is a BIG DAY

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:35 AM

Wow! This week really was hard to choose from! xD But because I love Majora's Mask so much, and since that clock tower seems to work, I chose symbiote01. Seems pretty interesting what you got going on, a deserted Clock Town. I hope something comes about this in a quest!

Very little to criticize or talk about this week, every screen looked amazing. But there is just one thing, and that has to be Joel's screen. Love your improvement Joel, but your secret hint is still...not showing. We've discussed this once, and you did change you tree colors from what I can remember...but not their placement. You said the trees (Brown ones) are supposed to be arranged to look like an arrow...thing is they still don't. You need to literally make it an arrow to prove that there's something there. All I see are just a group of brown trees that should be burned instead of giving me a hint. My advice is make the trees look like an arrow...instead of something that you have to ask about to know the answer. :P

Anyways, I think that's all my got. Still great week, and good job on your screens everyone! :D

#9 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

Well, here are my two cents for this week:

- Joelmacool: A pretty standard classic screenshot. Nothing too fancy, but alas, it's a solid screen. Although... I can't seem what you are trying to hint here.. Maybe do something with the tree colors or some small edit in order to figure out the secrets of this area?

- NJF: NO. I can't even describe how bad this shot is. I mean really? Wind underwater!? What are you trying to do, challenge the laws of physics!? Not only that, but I can't stand seeing lava clashing with water and no steam is present! And lastly, PURPLE!? I mean yeah, I can stand purple trees, but a purple dungeon is absolutely unacceptable! No no no, I give this a 9/10 just because this dungeon is pure hell in a good way. (BTW, this was all satire :P I still keep my thought about the dungeon being hell though :lol: )

- symbiote01: Looks like a deserted village all right. However, I agree with the clock sticking out like a sore thumb. What I suggest for you to do is to use a few palette colors (CSets 2 - 4) on it to make it blend in a bit more :) Other than that, a pretty awesome shot! 

- GrantGreif: I never played Pokemon, but from the looks of it, your tileset is going towards a nice path! The palette looks nice enough, and I can't even point out a single error on it. Excellent job! :D

- Gabriel Baron: This desert looks fine for it being GB styled, and the sand storm? Nice touch. If this is a real quest screen, I'd love to play it and find out what secrets lie hidden within that ancient structure. Pretty good job there mate!

- Dorklink: Geez, even I could make a better story than that. Too much red and what's a turtle head doing there? 0/10, I hate you. 

#10 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for all of the kind words, everyone!

GrantGreif: really cool pokemon screen.Thou i'd try to make a better diglett sprite

That's the in-game diglett sprite.

Edited by GrantGreif, 20 July 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#11 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

I voted for Demonlink this week.

Edited by ZeldaPlayer, 20 July 2015 - 06:05 PM.

• Demonlink likes this

#12 Gabriel Baron

Gabriel Baron

Medarotter Ace

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

- Gabriel Baron: This desert looks fine for it being GB styled, and the sand storm? Nice touch. If this is a real quest screen, I'd love to play it and find out what secrets lie hidden within that ancient structure. Pretty good job there mate!

thanks,i am working on that,so you'll get that chance.

That's the in-game diglett sprite.

is that so?i only played crystal 2 or 3 times,and i don't think i got diglett in any,and that was also a LONG time ago.well,that doesn't affect the screen at all for me,but yeah,i guess i just don't like the sprite  :P still a great screen,thou.

Edited by Gabriel Baron, 20 July 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#13 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

I have literally no idea how to read NJF's screen O.O Like what the heck is happening?!? My brain hurts

-Strike

#14 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:06 PM

Pretty awesome set of shots this week.

Joelmacool12 - I really love the screen design in this shot. Though that arrow in the middle still needs to be slightly a bit more obvious. Maybe 2 orange bushes on the top-left and bottom-right will end up making it look more like an arrow.

NJF - I gotta be honest, I have no idea what's happening in this shot... it kinda just seems all over the place. The screen itself looks pretty neat though it's just too random for me lol.

symbiote01 - Clock Town indeed :P I really love what you did to the tower with that clock up there. Good job man.

GrantGreif - Oh hell yes, this is giving me some GSC nostalgia. Great job on making the screen look exactly like from the main game. It looks great.

Gabriel Baron - That's a pretty neat screen. I really like the layout of the castle and I think it suits the rest of the screen really well.

Demonlink - What else can I say? It's amazing. That strange figure below where Zelda is makes me quite suspicious to know what else that guy will do :P

Overall, my pick is Demonlink this week. Great job to everyone :D

• Demonlink likes this

#15 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

That strange figure below where Zelda is makes me quite suspicious to know what else that guy will do :P

He'll devour you if you aren't in bed by Nighttime. He shall eat you for a midnight snack! :lol: (Thanks for your kind word BTW ;) )

• Eddy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demonlink, Joelmacool12, NewJourneysFire, symbiote01, GrantGreif, Gabriel Baron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users