Photo

Screenshot of the Week 187

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 187 (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screenshot!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

Very impressive week! Fantastic work by everybody.

ennonfenom - 8/10
This scene is certainly a new one for me to see. I love the background, the styles, and how everything is put together. The only criticism is my confusion over some of the ledges in the foreground.

Linkus - 10/10
Fantastic tileset, fantastic usage of tiles, and absolutely beautiful overall down to every little detail. You get my very first 10 since I started doing this.

Shoelace - 9/10
Excellently put together shot with some interesting tiles choices and very good detail. I am not sure what to criticize about it, so it is all about beauty at this point.

Trimaster001 - 7/10
Very well done cave shot. Looks excellent for gameplay. Not as awe inspiring at the others, but still very good for any quest that the look would fit into.

If I didn't know better, I would think that this was a SotM competition.

#17 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Ennonfenom- 6/10
While the tiles are good, the palette doesn't suit them at all. You need to branch out with custom palettes... that's the only way you can fix this. icon_confused.gif
Linkus- 9.5/10
Wow. Just... wow. The only thing that keeps this from being a perfect ten is its lack of gameplay elements. This is the kind of room that you'd see in a Golden Sun castle: pretty, but no real purpose. icon_shrug.gif
Shoelace- 9/10
This wasn't as good as Linkus's, but it was pretty awesome in its own right. The only thing I really had a problem with was the symmetry on the screen... its not an exact flip, but the elements are arranged the same way on both sides, which doesn't suit an overworld screen well.
TM001- 6/10
Good, but not SotW good.

#18 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

ennonfenom- Linkus sums up a lot of what I think. The perspective also looks confusing. When I took my first glance I thought it was a side-scroller because of the hard dirt colors link was standing north of (Looked like a mountain in a platformer) and the background in the top part of the screen. This is because all the colors on the screen are about the same very high saturation. And also, the cliff in the lower left corner doesn't separate well from everything else. Tone down the saturation in the grass, and especially in the dirt. Also, try limiting your self to using a maximum of 4 colors for the shaded and light parts of the grass and 4 for the dirt.

I do dig the Link sprite, though.

Linkus- Beautiful colors and tiles, especially the walls and my favorite part is the bed. I really dislike the shading on the plants, though. It seems like an unnecessary amount of colors were used. (vote)

Shoelace- Decent, but I'd say drop the current grass for a plain green and ditch the tall grass you have right now. The highlights on the tree in the lower right are too weak. Something I'll have to work on. icon_wink.gif

Trimaster001- A very good use of Pure cave tiles. Reminds me how I did Magi Saga years back. I liked how you placed the standing torches. Besides that, there's nothing eye-catching.

#19 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:48 PM

Actually, the plant uses four colors for the foliage (three green+the darkest teal) and the two reds for the stem. I got the inspiration for the plant from the real thing, which I can't find...

#20 Guest_Noodle (Guest)

Guest_Noodle (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Dec 2 2007, 08:10 PM) View Post

I thought we got to see Link's face this week Shoelace?

link

#21 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

Not so sexy.

#22 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:24 PM

Oh, my God, that was the funniest thing ever. That video from Sharon scared me a bit. Because he does have the file of EotM, and I thought he was going to show his face. That was the greatest video ever! Thank you for the huge laugh, oh my God. And... uh... now that his face was built up so much, there will be so much disappointment. lol

#23 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:51 PM

What's wrong Shoelace? Is EotM Link's face that special? I saw his face from the side in one of your photobucket pics. icon_shrug.gif

#24 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE(Linkus @ Dec 2 2007, 02:58 PM) View Post
(I think I'm starting to catch NoeL's "graphics jerk" virus...)

icon_eyebrow.gif You're the jerk icon_razz.gif And it's not being a jerk, it's being constructively critical. icon_wink.gif

But yeah, ennon and Linkus... nice work... I still wish you'd put some gameplay in your shots Linkus... you get my vote anywho... you jerk! IPB Image

#25 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:57 AM

is there a Golden Sun tileset in the works? I'd really like to play with it. icon_razz.gif

#26 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Dec 3 2007, 05:57 PM) View Post

is there a Golden Sun tileset in the works? I'd really like to play with it. icon_razz.gif

Well, might be... it's a secret to everybody... icon_wink.gif
Even to me. icon_neutral.gif

Well, I'm curious if Link's face is really THAT special or it's just the water-needed overhyping. I can imagine that a whole sprite is a big deal, but not that a simple face would be... Unless if "Link" will be girl...

[Mulan]
CastChaos: "What is your name?"
EotM Link: *points at regular Link sprite* "He is Link."
CastChaos: "I know that he is Link, but who you are?"
[/Mulan]

#27 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

I voted for: ennonfenom
ennonfenom, you don't have to put a black outline around ALL of your tiles man. All your detail lies around black outlining. Way over did it man.
Originally, I would of voted for Linkus it looks to typical. Every shot I see is a top-down view. Good sprites and tile usage, ennonfenom.
Shoelance had a nice shot but the 16x16 just isn't in now days. :/
Same with you Trimaster001, your shot looked like a typical cave with the default subscreen. Oh, I see you made the background some what of a gradient.

Edited by Zemious, 03 December 2007 - 04:57 PM.

#28 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

Just wondering, what do you mean by 16x16?

Anyways, I want to comment on the screens this week:

Ennonfenom: I too see a lot of Paper Mario style in it. I love it, for some reason, the art style screams out greatness, however, I am just wondering how it would play and if it could pulled off well enough.

Linkus: I would have voted for you if I voted. This screen was just great design, great use of colors, everything. Masterful. It does look very Golden Sunish, and you know that I am a huge fan of that. It is just out of this world, great job. icon_razz.gif

Shoelace: This screen has nothing special to it. I just haven't had a SotW pic in a couple of months, and wanted to show a screen of one of the main villages in the game. But, as for graphic changes, I have been doing that for over a year, so, don't except huge changes because the tileset is like basically done, and changing the grass would spell a delay, and I am not going to risk that. lol

Trimaster: I like the screen. But it doesn't have anything special to it, but I know it has great design to the cave that it is in. Good job.

#29 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Dec 3 2007, 10:57 AM) View Post

Wow... you're like... a mind reader?
icon_razz.gif
Anyways... CC, it's not a big secret, but we shouldn't walk around bragging about it... cause if it IS cancelled, people could get dissapointed... Now...
DFW, I'm planning to make a number of tilesets with the help of CC. One of the ones I have in my priority list, is Golden Sun.
Now...
My priority list right now, is:
Lufia 4 Tileset and Golden Sun Tileset. The reason I need CC, is that I can't do all of this alone. I have atleast TWO quests that I'm making... I wouldn't be able to finish any of em without CC... so.... yeah... as of right now, I haven't ''oficially'' said anything about a GS tileset, BUT IT IS INFACT IN PLANNING! icon_razz.gif

#30 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

you need a tileset first before you can finish a quest. So I suggest you finish your tilesets first. Your quests will shortly follow, I assure you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users