Photo

Screenshot of the Week 659

Avataro klop422 Shoshon the Elegant Jared

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 659 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

They stood there in disbelief, as they found what they were looking for, far away from Hyrule.

klop422
klop422.png
Just a sneak-preview of level 8

Shoshon the Elegant
Shoshon%20the%20Elegant.png
Prometheus approaches a house guarded by Amazons.

Jared
Jared.png
What will we find here?

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:39 PM

I voted klop422 for his cool use of train/minecart tracks. Avataro's is nice too, but the palette seems too dull IMO.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#3 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

well what can I say but, voted for the best put together screen. Setting aside the fact of perspectives......

Avataro     I real don't like those grid looking things. Other then that standard gb screen.

Klop422    your's is the biggest offender of perspective.. you should lay those pillers on the left wall, a few tiles back. Because they look like they are laying down but in/on the wall? I feel as if I am looking at all 3 different angle: top down, top back, and sidescroll.

I do see you have a creative side but, the persective.

Shoshon the elegant     Yours is the least with perspective issue's. And I feel you have improved alot with you screen design. 

Jared     If your going to use those dungeon wall's might I suggest vertical flip on the bottom to pillars? so they go with the flow of the walls? And maybe stand link sideways. He looks to be pastout drunk in the door way.   And are your candles back there floating?

Well any how this week, I voted Shoshon, because I like his screen better then the rest. And I feel he is trying to improve his style.

Edited by EnnonFenom, 30 April 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#4 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, I'm working with the weird Classic perspectives. That's my excuse.

• Cukeman likes this

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:06 AM

But EnnomFennom, that's just how the perspective in 2D zelda dungeons work. Flipping stuff at the bottom side of the screen would look weird.

• Shane and Jared like this

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

I think you don't understand 2D Zelda perspective at all, EnnomFennom. Which is surprising considering this is a Zelda fan game site focusing on 2D Zeldas.  :P

Anyways, I voted for Avataro, with Jared close second. Good screens everyone!

• Matthew likes this

#7 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Avataro: Solid GB shot. Great Palette. Very nice.

klop: I love the composition of the screen. Looks really cool.

Shoshon: I actually don't have any personal gripes on my screen this week.

Jared: Really solid dungeon screen. Looled meh on my phone, but much nicer when I checked it out on my PC.

I really like klop's shot, so I voted there despite being in this one.

#8 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Avataro - Really solid work here, I like the overall structure a lot and the palette and attention to detail are really nice. (also you didn't vertically stack trees, good job :P)

klop422 - Pretty interesting concept you got going on, I like the cart tracks quite a lot. Are those moving platforms I'm seeing there too?

Shoshon - Nice shot, the custom tiles are pretty unique. I'm a little confused as to what the random grey lines are, I assume those are barriers or railings or something? I dunno if it would look any better, but maybe try custom fences instead? Just throwing random ideas here, looks nice anyway lol

Jared - Pretty interesting dungeon entrance (at least I assume it's a dungeon entrance), I like how deserted and ruined the place looks. I'm not entirely fond of how squared and empty the screen is, but it's more of a personal preference thing for this tileset I suppose so you can do whatever :P

Pretty nice set all around, I went for Avataro this week.

• Avaro likes this

#9 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

klop422 - Pretty interesting concept you got going on, I like the cart tracks quite a lot. Are those moving platforms I'm seeing there too?

Nah, they're just spinning tiles.

• Eddy likes this

#10 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:22 PM

But EnnomFennom, that's just how the perspective in 2D zelda dungeons work. Flipping stuff at the bottom side of the screen would look weird.

yes I diss, like contradicting perspectives. "Flipping stuff at the bottom side" do you see those pillars on klops screen to the left? It wouldn't look nearly as badas that.

I think you don't understand 2D Zelda perspective at all, EnnomFennom. Which is surprising considering this is a Zelda fan game site focusing on 2D Zeldas.  :P

Anyways, I voted for Avataro, with Jared close second. Good screens everyone!

You just, seem to have beef with me for some reason. Your always saying something negative.

Ok, um if I would have finished a little sooner, I would've posted this

jcFSon4.png

I like to think I know perspective.... Good Day

#11 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:26 AM

Z1 uses a forced perspective, even though it's not the most realistic look.

Edited by Cukeman, 01 May 2018 - 07:11 AM.

#12 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:36 AM

@EnnonFenom, that's a nice screen and this time it doesn't hurt my eyes, especially the colors are a lot better. It's really interesting and I want to see more.

Regarding your issues with perspective, your points are correct but everyone knows already and doesn't really care. It's simply how these tilesets work. I mean I get your point, I also have a lot of issues with perspective in quests.

For example with klop422 (for whom I voted, great screen), your dislike of it is just a personal thing, but your critique sounds a bit like "you must be retarded if you don't see how wrong the perspective is.". It has a very negative vibe and somewhat forces your opinion on other's and that's unneeded. And I think Shane is just standing up for his buddies, he doesn't say anything negative at all.

Like I personally don't like Shoshon's prometheus tileset very much, but that's just my personal view, in general (objectively) I can say that it is unique, outstanding, unusual and many people will really enjoy his quest.
  • Shane, Jared, Cukeman and 1 other like this

#13 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:06 AM

Just gonna give my opinions on the screens:

Avataro: Really nice looking screen - would have voted here if I hadn't entered. I admit I'm partial to 8-bit tilesets, especially GB-looking ones. Even without the structure in the middle, it's a solid screen, but the works so very well in context. I'm intrigued as to what's happening here

Klop422: Best Screen, vote here.

Shoshon the Elegant: It's a well-built screen, but the wall/fence tiles (I assume) confuse me slightly - they look a little flat; could use a little perspective. That said, while I don't like the feel of the other custom sprites as much as other tilesets/sprites, they do look rather nice and work well in the screen.

Jared: It's a nice screen - can't tell where exactly in the dungeon it would be, but it is rather nice. No real issue here, except the floor could have been a little more textured, but I just prepare the others, tbh.

• Avaro likes this

#14 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:08 AM

your dislike of it is just a personal thing, but your critique sounds a bit like "you must be retarded if you don't see how wrong the perspective is.". It has a very negative vibe and somewhat forces your opinion on other's and that's unneeded. And I think Shane is just standing up for his buddies, he doesn't say anything negative at all.

Like I personally don't like Shoshon's prometheus tileset very much, but that's just my personal view, in general (objectively) I can say that it is unique, outstanding, unusual and many people will really enjoy his quest.

You all do understand it is a contest? And when deciding what is best of the screens. You have to have thing to give or take away points toward giving a vote.

So if people are not mature enough to understand what it is to compete, then they should judge any one else words!

and as for reading into my words anything beyond that, well that is on whom read's it.

And which brings me to my next point. It's seem's like this is more a tile show off page for buddies.

Man when did PureZc turn into AG?

Edited by EnnonFenom, 01 May 2018 - 07:11 AM.

#15 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:11 AM

@EnnomFennom Nice perspective errors on the left mountains. Nice use of switching between 3/4ths, 7/8ths, and 5/8ths perspective. Wow, I have to say that is an amazing abstract artwork. Perhaps you should submit to your local dada contest.

• EnnonFenom, Shane and Matthew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Avataro, klop422, Shoshon the Elegant, Jared

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users