Photo

Screenshot of the Week 168

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 168 (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

Well, that wasn't meant to be mean Trimaster001... just... ... the whole thing about "pure" shots being underrated has poisoned my mind and I can't get around to changing that so bloody easily. Blargh... ... then I saw the statue in the middle though, which is freaking awesome! Sorry for any misconviences and all!
Also... what link? I don't recall giving out any links recently... ... at least, not related to ZC...

QUOTE(CastChaos)
It's not a modern facility that has been degraded, rather a cave which got a little modern facelift.

Twas using the modern facility as a comparison, not what it really is.

QUOTE(CastChaos)
Still... it's funny that everybody always tells me that my screens are empty and now suddenly it became "too full". Besides, everything has a reason on the top part, I won't modify anything there.

It's not that there's too many things... more of that the variety just seems to broad and out of place sometimes. I dunno...

#17 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

CastChaos - Nice concept, too busy and too square. Not good enough screen design to accomodate the new graphics put in.

Fire Wizzrobe - Voted. Not only is it pretty new graphics, its also used superbly well. Graphics don't make the screen, but when used expertly like this to make a nice environmental scene like this, they enhance it greatly. Awesome work. I want tileset!

Majora's Mask - Can't see, can't vote.

Moonwhisper - Classic is hard to impress me.

Trimaster - Nice work with Pure, but its a bit bare for my tastes and Pure is getting harder and harder to impress me since I've worked with it for so friggin long. Nice work, but just not enough. You know I'm all about mountains, flat plains like this rarely interest me in Pure

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 02 July 2007 - 12:27 PM.

#18 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

CastChaos - I am somewhat confused about some of the details in this shot. I see some custom work as well, but I am not so sure if it blends in well with what is non-custom. Good amount of detail at least. The openness of this shot should allow for adjustments to be made without sacrificing too much.

Fire Wizzrobe - Beautiful tiles that are used in a desirable way. It all fits well to bring a sense of completeness to the shot. It also makes me think that the surrounding shots are similarly beautiful, as if it is all part of a larger picture and not just a great shot in itself. My vote goes here.

Majora's Wrath - While I like the style of many of the tiles used, I can't help but feel awkward about the shot as a whole. I am not a fan of the usage of the walls in the corners of the room. That lack of a border between the water and the dry floor brings on less of a sense of depth to the water than I would think would want to be seen. Perhaps the water needs more transparency to bring on a better sense of three dimensions in the center of the screen.

Moonwhisper - While I understand that classic graphics have their limitations, I still think that this room could be organized better. I see a combination of boulders, shiny floor tiles, armos, statues, etc. all conglomerated together without seeing the purpose behind it all being the way it is. What was the planning behind all of this? I guess I just don't see it.

Trimaster001 - Not bad for a standard pure shot, but not awe inspiring either. The statue partially hidden behind trees looks awkward to me. Something looks odd about the garden surrounding the statue, but I can't exactly put my finger on it. Perhaps those wooden fences. Either they should be removed, replaced with different fences, or redone in a different way. This may require reshaping the road of course.

#19 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

It's another clash Fire Wizzrobe. May the best man win.

#20 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

For those of you who can't see my entry:

IPB Image

http://www.picoodle....18m_bb7289f.png

EDIT: I nulled.

Edited by Majora's Wrath, 02 July 2007 - 01:13 PM.

#21 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

Fire Wizzrobe all the way, it just grabs my attension over all the others in a good way.

#22 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

Now that I can see Majora's Wrath, I can critique.

Those are excellent dungeon tiles! I'm actually using those, as well. Perspective was my big issue with this screen. I'm not really sure why you made the walls like you did, instead of making them normal. The LttP perspective is a delicate, precious thing, and stuff like that throws it off. Also, I agree with what Nathaniel said about the water. There definitely needs to be a small height difference between the water level and the ground. Still going on about the water, the tops of the pillars look like they were just thrown on top.... maybe you should give them a border with the water. Last thing: those blocks look ENTIRELY out of place! The rest of the dungeon is moldy and decrepit, but the blocks are in perfect condition? Maybe you should edit some wear on those bad boys. Other than that, it's not a bad shot at all... it's very balanced, and looks like a functional screen as far as gameplay goes, which is really the important thing.

#23 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

::sighs:: This is the reason why Wizzrobes are the most annoying enemies ever. No Offense. Hope you win Fire Wizzrobe that's one killer tileset. I'll just have to try harder next time.

#24 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Nuvo)

People care because saying "generic pure shot" is a nice crutch for the majority to use when they don't want to vote something, and not to give reasons why.

To clear up something:
"Generic pure shot" is an abbreviation for:
"Man, why couldn't you take the time to invent something new instead of placing a few overused tiles near each other with an usual layout or if you did that because it suits your quest, why oh why submitted it into SotW where in some way extraordinary screens should be?!"
See, why should we type this long text when 3 words do the trick?
Yes, I'm in a baaad mood.
My suggestion is to rename this whole thing to RPotW (Random Picture of the Week).

To those whos think my screen needs floor borders: please sit down at a quiet place and think about what kind of dungeon is that on the picture.

#25 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

"Generic Pure Shot" I guess has different interpretations, I personally think it the way I do because I see amazing pure shots in SotW, yet people still use this "Generic Pure Shot" to not vote for it whether they just don't want to type out the whole thing, or don't like the person. Also, when I stated this, I wasn't directing it to anybody, I was directing it to Pure shots as a whole in SotW.

If I pissed anybody off by due to me stating my interpretation so bluntly, I apologize, a lot is on my mind lately, but I'm sure no one wants to hear about that.

Good job everybody, all of the shots are nice. I also like your segmented walls MW. It eliminates that dark enclosed feeling.

Edited by Nuvo, 02 July 2007 - 02:48 PM.

#26 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

CastChaos- It's too messy for my tastes. Due to the mixture of the steam machine, conveyor belts, and the wheel next to each other. I keep noticing you like to make critique dodges. But no matter the purpose of the dungeon and what kind of dungeon it is, if you choose theme purely over the beauty of the beauty, it's not going to look any better. For an eye pleasing shot, try to combine the screen's theme with good looking tiles that match it. (Your trying to accomplish a steam dungeon with default DoR dungeon tiles. Try to find something more appropriate outside the set. The cave tiles are fine, IMO)

Me- There's no enemies yet because I haven't finished the palletes for them. Nathaniel, you come out from a town in the east part of the picutre, and the water flows back into the town from the south. So really, only north and west of the shot are similar screens that match it.

Majora's Wrath- Very grainy. I never liked those dungeon tiles too much, and it's very boxy. Maybe it's just that the pallete is too dark and grey.

Moonwhisper- Lighten up that dark brown plz. It's way too dark. The whole screen is very monochromatic, maybe you could change the color scheme of the walls or the mountain chunks?

Trimaster- errrmm... nice layout. Shots like these always won back when Pure was fresh and everyone used the Revenge set and BS Zelda, but then as you know, new tilesets were introduced.

I think that was my longest post ever. bleh

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 02 July 2007 - 03:07 PM.

#27 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

Trimaster- errrmm... nice layout. Shots like these always won back when Pure was fresh and everyone used the Revenge set and BS Zelda, but then as you know, new tilesets were introduced.

You're telling me as long as I use PTUX, I'll never score your vote.

#28 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

Not true Tri. Pure may be old and over-used, but some recent shots of mine using Pure have won SOTW. So all is not lost, you just need kick-ass design nowadays, graphics alone with Pure isn't going to cut it.

#29 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(Trimaster001 @ Jul 2 2007, 04:59 PM) View Post

You're telling me as long as I use PTUX, I'll never score your vote.

No, I don't mean that. You did beat me last time. icon_smile.gif That was just some history.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 02 July 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#30 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:59 PM

Fire Wizzorbe, as while the setup leaves much to be desired, it's good to see someone finally using Takams graphic. Only one out of the bunch that is pleasing to the eye and doesent have some major error in it which I'm sure someone has already blantatntly pointed out somewhere in this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users