Photo

Screenshot of the Week 168

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 168 (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

This is Salvadore Aihara's "ONLINE JA--"

No wait. Wrong post

CastChaos
IPB Image
"The limestone concentrates the water into the lava below to create the almighty STEAM!"

Fire Wizzrobe
IPB Image

Majora's Wrath
IPB Image
Deep within the Temple of the Blade of Evil's Bane, a Wizzrobe attacks Link

Moonwhisper
IPB Image
"A great earthquake merged the mountains with perhaps the greatest empire in Celestia"

Trimaster001
IPB Image
"Hey, they made my nose too big!" - Link

I swear, you'd think the 4th of July is three days away, with all the explosions I hear outside...

#2 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:24 AM

First vote!

Fire Wizzrobe!!

#3 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:57 AM

Dangit, SD, you beat me to it...

I voted for CC for some reason, the screen just looks really busy as it should, even with a few graphical errors. I still voted for it.

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:35 AM

I voted CastChaos. I dunno, it's a good dungeon shot.

By the way, I can't see Majora's Wrath's pic. Any others having this problem?

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:25 AM

This is the first time that I lead in SotW! Though, there are only 3 votes yet...

So, I nulled, since I'm in the poll. Now...

CastChaos: Oh, sweet steam in limestone... People couldn't make you their slave, now all became undead...

Fire Wizzrobe: Pretty tiles. Good layout, though the upper left corner bothers me... The mountain ends just as it is.

Majora's Wrath: You utilized those pretty newly submitted dungeon tiles. Layout is simple. The water keep in the middle comes out badly, the columns are round, yet the come out of the water with a straight line and the underwater teleport's line creates weird optical illusions.

Moonwhisper: Pretty LoZ screen.

TriMaster001: Well designed generic Pure screen. The statue looks pretty.

#6 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:05 AM

Can't see his either... at least, not on this page: MW's Shot
Urling it since imging probably won't work for randomly retarted reasons.

It's now time for another episode of Wind's ridiculously long critique session! Please skip most of this info if you're not the actual creator of the shot, because you will be bored otherwise! Thank you! *shot*

CastChaos - To put it bluntly, although quite interesting in concept and design, there's just a little too much on the screen. With the top portion, that... tanish/brownish machine thing just doesn't fit with the rest. If you adjusted it's color to match more in line with everything around it, then that'd be awesome (just as long as it didn't blend so much in that it camouflages it, hehehe). Next is the water... well, if you set a bordering along the flooring just to the left of it, it'd look MUCH better. Right now, it's just uhh... ... well, if it weren't for graphical issues, the real life version would have water overflowing from that. You get the point though. Everything else about the top... although meshed together just bit too much (not like I could solve that myself) is fine though and looks awesome.
Now for the bottom... ... well, I'm separating it from the top because the two parts really don't connect well. It's like running into a super special awesome secret facility of futuristic technology when in an Egyptian pyramid (which could be possible). They're just super different... I mean, it's like Spiderman 3 condensed into a ZC screenshot (no offense). It may be really cool and all, but to me, that's just too much for my tastes.

Fire Wizzrobe - O_O... me... want... tileset... (darn you graphical designers and your special talents! (yes, I know it's not actually you that created that set)). Ok, enough with that. I have two issues with your shot... the water... and the water borderings with the continental (land) borderings. There just seems to be a lack of depth in the color at the borders, because it's one color of brown, one color of blue, and an occassional color of dark blue, and that just doesn't mesh all too well together. I dunno... could just be the timeframe whereas a shot taken at a different time may have worked better, but right now, the water hath been jipped of being smooth (lamely put). Like... a bunch of strings... tied around each other in unharmonious chaos (which makes sense, because chaos is unharmonious (duh!)). Overall, it kinda just looks like a mess there. And the rest of the water... well, now it just lacks depth (but at least it's better than ALttP water!). Adding another color that blends (white? slightly dark blue) would fix that issue... nonetheless, it's all still good.
Rest of the shot + water + a waterfall that's actually really good = O_Osome (lame). Translated - Awsome.

Majoras Wrath - Ah, a shot using those dungeon tiles, eh? Sweet... but just one question: Why are the sides/corners cut into boxed sections rather than connected? It doesn't look bad per se, but it just seems odd to have it like that... not mention the manufacturing costs (cough cough). Anyways... about everything in that shot is quite fine and all except... the middle. More particularly the pillars - they're just sticking out of the water. The transition effect is there, but the fact that it is an absolutely straight line at that perspective level bothers me... ... actually, I take that back. It's the top of the pillars and how ridiculously they're contrasting with the darker tone of the place. At least the lighter portions above the doorways have a transitional color separating them from the darker colors, but with the pillars... they're just there.
That aside, awesome dungeon shot!

Moonwhisper - Fascinating... but although the concept of it being a mountain castle is great, the mountain conflicts with the dungeon walls... at least, by perspective. Granted, it's under a certain tileset that's all too awesome and there's graphical limitations, but right now, it just looks completely odd (yet somehow, it fits... still outta place though). I can't say how you'd fix it... other than possibly intermixing the mountain cliff with the dungeon walls more... which is a potentially viable means of helping the screen, therefore "fixing it." That said, disregard the first part of that sentence.
Really good, sah!

Trimaster001 - Ooh, your standard typical average "pure" shot! If it weren't for all of the great design goodness of everyone else in this week, I'd probably vote this for its simplicity (granted, originality from standard overworld screens in the standard PTUX tileset nowadays = non-original, but it doesn't have any flaws in it...). No wait... just one minor thing - too many flowers. Cut it down by about 3 or 4 and I'd say we've got ourselves a nice shot we can wander our eyes upon without having anything negative to say!
... I'm about to consult the meaning of the word "pure" in ZC terms, because right now, I'm considering adding it to my list of retarded words and just replacing it with "good" or something like that. For now, generic shots for the win! ... ok... ALMOST... for the win. Design from other shots overrules my vote on this one.

Also Fire Wizzrobe, I just realized that the water details used for your shot are LttP shallow water details. Yeah... I think they just work much better for shallow water rather than that type of water, which seems a little deeper and quite swimable - not something to have random bubbles floating atop of.

EDIT: *sees status in middle of Trimaster001's picture, which blended perfectly with the shot* Niiiice... ... and seeing as I haven't actually made a vote yet... ... really, that statue made the whole difference. ... ... god, I hate nullling. *nulls* Original vote was towards Fire Wizzrobe, fyi.

Edited by WindStrike, 02 July 2007 - 04:09 AM.

#7 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:10 AM

CastChaos : not bad but looks a bit un orgininzed

Fire Wizzrobe: Not bad GFX but i don't like the water

Majora's Wrath : Bad use of relcics GFX (becuase there is no bass under the pilliers that are above the water

Moonwhisper : I don't like the mix of Moution tiles and Dugoen tiles

Trimaster001 : (vote) good pure shot because all the tiles flow nicely

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE(WindStrike)

CastChaos - To put it bluntly, although quite interesting in concept and design, there's just a little too much on the screen. With the top portion, that... tanish/brownish machine thing just doesn't fit with the rest. If you adjusted it's color to match more in line with everything around it, then that'd be awesome (just as long as it didn't blend so much in that it camouflages it, hehehe). Next is the water... well, if you set a bordering along the flooring just to the left of it, it'd look MUCH better. Right now, it's just uhh... ... well, if it weren't for graphical issues, the real life version would have water overflowing from that. You get the point though. Everything else about the top... although meshed together just bit too much (not like I could solve that myself) is fine though and looks awesome.
Now for the bottom... ... well, I'm separating it from the top because the two parts really don't connect well. It's like running into a super special awesome secret facility of futuristic technology when in an Egyptian pyramid (which could be possible). They're just super different... I mean, it's like Spiderman 3 condensed into a ZC screenshot (no offense). It may be really cool and all, but to me, that's just too much for my tastes.

It's not a modern facility that has been degraded, rather a cave which got a little modern facelift. People realized that this cave produces steam because the high amount of water falling into the lava and started to build a modern style place, but befor they were finished, all died because the lava moving up and enemies appearing plus the occassional quakes whiches were caused because the machines. (There are digging machines, too. Mostly on the below level.)
Still... it's funny that everybody always tells me that my screens are empty and now suddenly it became "too full". Besides, everything has a reason on the top part, I won't modify anything there.

#9 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:26 AM

I have to null on this one becasue Majora's Wrath's shot doesn't appear on the page. And I don't think it's fair to vote becasue of this.

CastChaos: Keep your dungeon shot nice and cleen. I don't have any interest in playing dungeons that are extremely messy.

Fire Wizzrobe: You would of had my vote becasue I see no problems on this screen. But can you add some enemies?

Majora's Wrath: The dungeon walls need work. It's like exploring a wedding cake. Your better off not to make strange looking dungeon walls.

Moonwhisper: Work on your dungeon walls. It looks like the montains are overlapping the walls.

TriMaster001: WHY DO PEOPLE CARE I USE PURE!???!!

QUOTE(WindStrike @ Jul 2 2007, 04:05 AM) View Post

Trimaster001 - Ooh, your standard typical average "pure" shot! If it weren't for all of the great design goodness of everyone else in this week, I'd probably vote this for its simplicity (granted, originality from standard overworld screens in the standard PTUX tileset nowadays = non-original, but it doesn't have any flaws in it...). No wait... just one minor thing - too many flowers. Cut it down by about 3 or 4 and I'd say we've got ourselves a nice shot we can wander our eyes upon without having anything negative to say!
... I'm about to consult the meaning of the word "pure" in ZC terms, because right now, I'm considering adding it to my list of retarded words and just replacing it with "good" or something like that. For now, generic shots for the win! ... ok... ALMOST... for the win. Design from other shots overrules my vote on this one.

icon_frown.gif icon_frown.gif icon_frown.gif icon_frown.gif icon_frown.gif THAT WAS PRETTY MEAN WINDSTRIKE!!!!!!!!! icon_frown.gif icon_frown.gif icon_frown.gif icon_frown.gif icon_frown.gif

EDIT: Grrrrr, you should of showed me the link earlier!!!!!

Edited by Trimaster001, 02 July 2007 - 07:44 AM.

#10 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

Fire Wizzrobe

#11 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(Trimaster001)

CastChaos: Keep your dungeon shot nice and cleen. I don't have any interest in playing dungeons that are extremely messy.

"Clean" as "detailless"? Seems like ever since I started making colourful screens people started to like empty screens. Seems like everything is totally random, including the number of each screen's votes.

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jul 2 2007, 07:53 AM) View Post

"Clean" as "detailless"? Seems like ever since I started making colourful screens people started to like empty screens. Seems like everything is totally random, including the number of each screen's votes.

Add dungeon borders. Adding dungeon borders actually makes a difference in your shot. It wouldn't look as messy as before. Dungeon borders actually keeps the dungeon well balenced and straightened out. Just don't overdue it icon_wink.gif

#13 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jul 2 2007, 06:53 AM) View Post

Maybe think about using a different floor color from the walls?
Everything is just too...... green

#14 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(Trimaster001 @ Jul 2 2007, 06:26 AM) View Post

TriMaster001: WHY DO PEOPLE CARE I USE PURE!???!!

People care because saying "generic pure shot" is a nice crutch for the majority to use when they don't want to vote something, and not to give reasons why.

By the way, your shot was second best, just cut down on the trees a bit, maybe it's just my opinion, but I don't think having enormous masses of trees in one concentrated area looks good, maybe put some cliffs or water or something in the middle to break it...

I swear, you'd think the 4th of July is three days away, with all the explosions I hear outside...

icon_lol.gif nice one, Relic

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

This was a really tough one, but I went with Fire Wizzrobe.

- CastChaos -

The shot seems to be lacking depth. The waterwheel seems very out of place, as in it doesn't blend well with the rest of the shot. But other than that, it's not as crowded as several other shots I've seen.

- Fire Wizzrobe -

Once again, he's managed to make me pee my pants ERR I MEAN drool over the pretty graphics on the screen. Everything is great, and works together very well. I want that tileset. icon_drool.gif

- Majora's Wrath -

I love the dungeon walls, but that's about it. It's a pretty dungeon shot, to be sure, but it seems to be lacking something.

- Moonwhisper -

As much as I love the Zero Quest set, I can't make myself vote for this one. icon_sorry.gif I've played your demo, and you should submit an overworld shot. The mountains seem somewhat out of place, but I guess that's what happens when the whole set is based off of classic, which is majorly limited. icon_shrug.gif

- Trimaster001 -

To say this without hurting anybody's feelings, anybody who says that this is just the average Pure shot that's in every SotW is right. Besides, it looks an awful lot like another shot you've entered before. icon_shrug.gif

EDIT:
QUOTE(Nuvo @ Jul 2 2007, 10:33 AM) View Post

People care because saying "generic pure shot" is a nice crutch for the majority to use when they don't want to vote something, and not to give reasons why.

I've since floated away from Pure, and it seems that I plan to use it but for one quest. But that's besides the point.

I just saw this after I posted, and all I have to say is: no. It's almost a tradition that there's always going to be a generic shot in the SotW. Sometimes more than one. icon_confused.gif

Edited by The Satellite, 02 July 2007 - 09:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users