New dirt for DoR (now available)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:13 AM

I'm strongly considering switching to a different kind of dirt for DoR, because the ultra-dark FF5 dirt just keeps annoying me more and more.

The alternative I'm considering is something lighter, but still detailed, released by Linkus. I think it was ripped from Terranigma or something. Anyway, the real big issue with any new dirt is, by far, how it blends with the mountains.

With that in mind, here's something I threw together. Whaddaya think?

IPB Image

Consider this an unfinished work. I realize there are some oversights that I haven't gotten to yet. icon_smile.gif

Advice is welcome, but please focus on the tops of the mountains. The mountain bases are easy; finishing them is just busy work.

#2 Migokalle

Migokalle

Weeeeeeee!!

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

I'm not sure. On one hand, this dirt is really good... and I'm even using it myself in some places... but the DoR dirt is good too. I think I like the original better, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be an alternative, right?

I'm using both, and possibly even more types of dirt, myself, but DoR is still my favorite.
All dirts look horrible when used like they where in the screenshot you posted though... without commenting on the shot, I'll rather look into how people actually USE the dirt tiles.

A lot of people make one thick line of dirt, calling it a path or a road... while it's realistic, it doesn't work really well in ZC.

Only my 2 Norwegian Kroners icon_razz.gif

#3 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

That dirt looks wonderful, Radien. Honestly, the old is somewhat better, and to me, the dirt looks like a crusted surface, or like the crustsy like dirt at a dried up water bed.

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

I haven't ever seen better dirt than the old DoR one, but variety and change are good anyway. This dirt is good, but I'd only use it around settlements and such built areas, never as wasteland element. It also looks a bit muddy and wet, make it darker, make it a slow walk combo and you win.

So, the mountain tops... It's OK for me, but if you want more blending, line up the mud dirt curves with that simmetric mountain top curve at the mountain tops. Honest.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

Well, to be honest, I like the old DoR dirt better. This kind looks too much like hardened clay. It might be good to put in the tileset/quest, but not to replace the old dirt, just for extra purposes like dirt roads and stuff.

#6 Ebola Zaire

Ebola Zaire

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

Having been using the tiles myself for some time now, I love what you've done with the tops. No complaints from me, I love the dirt.

#7 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Unvalidated

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

Wow! That is Amazing.

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

I don't really have any problem with it looking like dried mud. It's a valid appearance, and practically any area will have that sort of thing. Yes, I could still use the old FF5 dirt for places where it doesn't fit.

The problem with FF5 dirt is that it is extremely dark, and looks like bark mulch. Mountains and cliffs look like they've had bark mulch shoveled and spread across the top and the base of the cliff, which doesn't look right when they're supposed to be rock. icon_razz.gif People also flip-flop between describing the old DoR dirt as either dry or muddy. I think it looks more dry than anything.

My biggest problem with it is that I've ended up using sand for the grass tops. What you see for grassy LTTP mountains is actually the sandy mountains with grass atop them. The dirt is too dark for this transition. It kinda kills the idea that sand only appears in certain areas. Thus, I'd like lighter dirt. In fact, something even lighter than what I posted above might work even better, depending. icon_shrug.gif

#9 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Keep the old dirt in there, too. Like I said in another post, the dark dirt in the current DOR would looks great for transparent water. So, yea, keep both in, I like this dirt meself.icon_smile.gif

Edited by Alestance, 06 April 2009 - 02:36 PM.

#10 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

I already have 'em. A mountain version for it would be nice.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 6 2009, 01:34 PM) View Post
Keep the old dirt in there, too. Like I said in another post, the dark dirt in the current DOR would looks great for transparent water. So, yea, keep both in, I like this dirt meself.icon_smile.gif

To be perfectly blunt and honest... I think the current DoR dirt looks absolutely, positively horrid under transparent water. I also think most of you have merely been using the old dirt long enough to get used to it. People were complaining left and right about DoR dirt the year it came out. I only resisted changing it because all other dirt available at the time was really primitive. FF5 was the best replacement I could find, but it used so many colors that I had to resort to making it really dark.

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Apr 6 2009, 01:41 PM) View Post
I already have 'em. A mountain version for it would be nice.

After I'm done, I'll release whatever I've created with this dirt style, even if I don't end up using it myself. Okay? icon_smile.gif

#12 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

How'd I miss this?

I do have some mountain tiles for the dirt, as well as an alternative dirt tile so it's not as noticeable that it's tiled. Give me by next week and I'll try to bring them here.

#13 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

I think it looks great, but there's a clear grid present in the tiles. If you reduced that slightly, I think it would look downright fantabulous. icon_thumbsup.gif

#14 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

I like it much better than the FF5 dirt. I'd say to make some alternate form of that dirt that doesn't look so... lumpy.

#15 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(Linkus @ Apr 12 2009, 06:50 PM) View Post
How'd I miss this?

I do have some mountain tiles for the dirt, as well as an alternative dirt tile so it's not as noticeable that it's tiled. Give me by next week and I'll try to bring them here.

Oh, um... okay. Truth be told, I've already done a lot of work on making the new tiles. Are your mountain tiles based on LTTP mountains? Either way, I'd like to see them.

Also, you and nicklegends do have a point... there are some horizontal and vertical lines which make this dirt look tiled. I'd be happy to integrate a remedy to that.

Incidentally, I imitated a technique I employed when I used darker pixels on the snowy mountains, using it to make the tops of the mountains seem less flat and awkward. It seems to have helped...let's see how it turns out. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users