Photo

Solo: A Star Wars Story

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:14 PM

Teaser just dropped during the Super Bowl:

Full trailer tomorrow, according to this. As for me, I... can't get that excited. Was never excited from the day they announced it. Between Rogue One being about how the Death Star plans were stolen, and how Solo is almost undoubtedly about how Han met Chewie/won the Falcon from Lando/made the Kessel Run/all of the above, I'm not liking the idea of so many anthology films essentially being about throwaway lines in the OT. I often joke that I'm waiting for "That Bounty Hunter on Ord Mantell: A Star Wars Story," but honestly wouldn't be surprised if that got a film. Hopefully it already got a comic or book to tell the story.

I don't actually know what the film will be about (hence "undoubtedly"), but c'mon, are they really gonna make a film about young Han Solo and not cover one of the above topics? I'd honestly be pleasantly surprised if it was a unique adventure but I doubt it.

And even then, the biggest barrier is the recasting. Yeah yeah, Harrison and Billy are far too old to reprise their roles in a young Han Solo film, but my point is there shouldn't be a young Han Solo film. At least with Rogue One, it had a new cast to focus on. But far as I'm concerned, Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams are Han and Lando. I look at this image of the new actors in the roles from the trailer:

Spoiler

... and I just see pretenders. Regardless of whether or not the film is good, this alone will take me right out of it. I want to see the Star Wars universe go new places, not explain things that didn't need to be explained and were better left to the imagination. Not ashamed to be a hypocrite and admit I'd watch the hell out of a Kenobi film if Ewan McGregor returned but at least that's the right actor. :heh:

#2 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:29 AM

I'm not wildly excited, but I'm mildly curious. It could be fun, or it could be dumb. At least it hopefully won't be depressing; Rogue One doesn't seem like my cup of tea at all, and though I liked The Force Awakens it was undeniably a bit dark (darker than I wanted, so it's a testament to it being pretty good that I like it anyway. Especially Finn).

I often joke that I'm waiting for "That Bounty Hunter on Ord Mantell: A Star Wars Story," but honestly wouldn't be surprised if that got a film. Hopefully it already got a comic or book to tell the story.

1236632721_e595a21550_z.jpg

It got it's own radio play forever ago, back around when they adapted The Empire Strikes Back for radio.

Is that second guy you pictured supposed to be Lando? His facial hair seems off, I thought that was somebody else. It'd be funny if they did like Peter Cushing in Rogue One and digitally altered them to look like Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams XD

Not ashamed to be a hypocrite and admit I'd watch the hell out of a Kenobi film if Ewan McGregor returned but at least that's the right actor. :heh:

I'm finding myself a lot more interested in that these days than I would've expected. You know you're old when not only is portable Mario 64 (with Luigi in it) antiquated, but the Prequel Trilogy has become nostalgic.

Edited by Mitsukara, 05 February 2018 - 01:32 AM.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:02 AM

Well, I mean a story about the Ord Mantell bounty hunter in the new canon, not the old. Was certain there was an older one, but since it no longer counts... Was hoping for a newer one so Lucasfilm can't use it for a movie. :P

And yeah, that's Lando. I don't even mind the change in facial hair, but it's still not Billy Dee Williams. Wouldn't really want them to CGI in the faces of Harrison or Billy though...

Also I'm not so much nostalgic for the prequels as I am a fan of Ewan McGregor. He was great as Kenobi.

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:07 AM

Teaser just dropped during the Super Bowl:

RRWWWGG!

Full trailer tomorrow, according to this. As for me, I... can't get that excited. Was never excited from the day they announced it. Between Rogue One being about how the Death Star plans were stolen, and how Solo is almost undoubtedly about how Han met Chewie/won the Falcon from Lando/made the Kessel Run/all of the above, I'm not liking the idea of so many anthology films essentially being about throwaway lines in the OT. I often joke that I'm waiting for "That Bounty Hunter on Ord Mantell: A Star Wars Story," but honestly wouldn't be surprised if that got a film. Hopefully it already got a comic or book to tell the story.

GGWWWRGHH...RAWRGWAWGGR!..

I don't actually know what the film will be about (hence "undoubtedly"), but c'mon, are they really gonna make a film about young Han Solo and not cover one of the above topics? I'd honestly be pleasantly surprised if it was a unique adventure but I doubt it.

And even then, the biggest barrier is the recasting. Yeah yeah, Harrison and Billy are far too old to reprise their roles in a young Han Solo film, but my point is there shouldn't be a young Han Solo film. At least with Rogue One, it had a new cast to focus on. But far as I'm concerned, Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams are Han and Lando. I look at this image of the new actors in the roles from the trailer:

RRRAARRWHHGWWR...WWWRRRRRRGWWWRRRR!!!

Spoiler

AAARARRRGWWWH, GGGWARRRHHWWWW... GGWWWRGHH!?!?

... and I just see pretenders. Regardless of whether or not the film is good, this alone will take me right out of it. I want to see the Star Wars universe go new places, not explain things that didn't need to be explained and were better left to the imagination. Not ashamed to be a hypocrite and admit I'd watch the hell out of a Kenobi film if Ewan McGregor returned but at least that's the right actor. :heh:

WWWWWWWGGGGHHHRRRRW!!! WAGRRRRWWGAHHHHWWWRRGGAWWWWWWRR!!!!!!!!!
  • strike likes this

#5 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:11 AM

Fair enough; I haven't kept track of the new canon much outside The Force Awakens. Though I do want to try more of Rebels at some point, and I'm curious about Timothy Zahn's new works...

I don't think I'm as uncomfortable with the CGI actor replacement concept as some people, but it is still kind of an immature technology and potentially pretty awkward and strange. And the implications of it ever becoming fully mainstream are... possibly very complicated.

What I meant was, I'm old for feeling nostalgic about the prequels now. XD But I do agree Ewan McGregor was one of the very best things about them, he was great as Obi Wan and seemed to pretty much channel Sir Alec Guinness.

To seize the opportunity to ramble about Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell a little more, that cover art always cracks me up a little. Check out how Luke's leg is right in between the two blaster bolts, as he cuts the tether idly wit his lightsaber while staring off into the distance without seeming to even notice that he's being shot at (his pose sand the angle suggests clinging on for dear life, but his dazed expression doesn't seem to reflect that in any way, either). Look how Luke's got so much eye makeup he looks like he's from the Holiday Special. Look at C3PO pressing his hands up to the glass at an angle where they're not up to the glass. And why does that shuttle look so Star Trek-ish? It's even got nacelles. The whole picture is kind of hilarious.

Also, if this movie has Vuffi Raa in it, then it's getting all of my quatloos.

Edited by Mitsukara, 05 February 2018 - 02:17 AM.

• The Satellite likes this

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:23 AM

Gleeok, I must ask you to speak in English so we can understand your post, since most of us don't speak Shyriiwook. chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:23 AM

I'll have to wait for the full trailer tomorrow to make an accurate judgment.

As far as the story goes, anything they do would be better than the halfway agglomeration which the EU did.

Why? Because Lucas specifically forbid certain aspects of Han's story from being told like how he met Chewie or got the stripes on his pants. (Yes, those are a thing and yes; authors were specifically told not to explain them Though a few did reference that fact.)

If you have any doubts about the EU just making Han's back story a mess, go read the Han Solo Trilogy and Han Solo Adventures. I'll wait.

(Putters around dusting knickknacks...)

Alright, done that? So, Han's origins? No details. Because the idea of this story was being reserved even back then. Parents? Nada. Family? One cousin who's a lookalike that was only included because of another story that introduced him. Love life? Well, Han practically had a new girlfriend every other week in the books and comics. There are some encounters with characters in the Han Solo Trilogy that are shoehorned in and out of order because various other stories had conflicting continuities.

The point is, Lucas has wanted to do this story before the Prequels were even made. So, I'm not surprised its being made now. At least they have a decent director. As far as actor replacements go, they suffer the same problems as the Prequels did casting Anakin and Obiwan or the new Star Trek movies did with the cast of the original series. We don't really see enough in that teaser to make any sort of judgment.

I'll probably see it, but I have no expectations one way or another.

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:47 AM

1236632721_e595a21550_z.jpg

"A Story From The Star Wars Saga" ... "A Star Wars Story"

:whistle:

#9 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:16 AM

Gleeok, I must ask you to speak in English so we can understand your post, since most of us don't speak Shyriiwook. chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f

I'm pretty sure everyone here could understand that, right?! C'mon now TS, tell me you're not secretly super pumped-up to see Chewbacca rip some random troopers' arms off! :D (Rogue One had some PG moments in it I thought)

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:24 AM

But... Chewie already ripped arms off in TFA and it was cut

*imagines the stormtrooper claiming it's only a flesh wound*

Edited by Cukeman, 05 February 2018 - 05:26 AM.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

I'm not necessarily opposed to this movie existing, though I have to admit I'm a whole lot less interested in it than I was in Rogue One. Really though... I think I'd have preferred if they just cast Harrison Ford as Han and we all collectively pretended he wasn't an old man. Seeing anybody else play the character just feels... wrong.

#12 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

I just can't see that guy as Han : / : ( ; - :

-Strike

#13 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

#14 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

When it comes to recasting a part, there's more than one approach. In the Star Trek 2009 film, compare what they did with Kirk (Chris Pine, somebody who basically bore no resemblance to William Shatner at all, picked just for the kind of character they wanted to have rather than any comparison) versus what they did with McCoy (Karl Urban, ties his damnedest to do a close DeForest Kelley impression, even when he has terrible lines to deliver like "space is death and disease, wrapped up in darkness and silence").

There was a similar deal with Stargate SG-1, where Richard Dean Anderson bore no resemblance to Kurt Russell as Jack O'Neil(l), but Michael Shanks was selected to replace James Spader because he could do a great impression of James Spader's take on the character of Daniel Jackson.

With Han I think they're trying to go somewhere in the middle. He doesn't look or sound much like Harrison Ford (His face is totally different and his voice is higher), but they're trying to dress him up for the part, give him (sort of) the 1977 Harrison Ford hairdo, and presumably want to keep the character much more consistent with past characterization, as opposed to Kirk (who was a ground-up rewrite with no similarity except to the most flanderized memes about the character) or O'Neill (who retained his backstory but started acting very differently from the get-go). They don't want an impersonator but they want to fill the shoes anyway, and that's kind of a tricky balance. I dunno how it'll work out.

Speaking of Kirk, contrast Vic Mognogna- who even looks a little like William Shatner- doing a thorough Shatner impression in the fan show Star Trek Continues, and compare James Cawley's in-between performance on New Voyages/Phase II; Cawley doesn't look like Shatner at all, but he tried to keep the same sort of tone of the character. In other words, I think this guy is doing it sort of like James Cawley, trying to match the original's tone despite being obviously different.

It's a weird new approach for Star Wars, because Ewan McGregor was much more trying to imitate Sir Alec Guinness (and has explicitly said so), and I assume the same goes for Genevieve O'Reilly playing Mon Mothma in RotS (in a deleted scene) and Rogue One. Historically Star Wars tries to stick to it's own aesthetic, so having Han and Lando look as different as they do here seems... odd. The music tone seems to go with that too, with it's sort of 'buzzy' sound and comedy beat timing of the trailer. It seems they're experimenting with his one.

As far as the beginning of Solo's backstory in the EU, I thought they established he was a 10 year old thief who got captured by slavers, but not much more than that, right?

Also, one thing that always seemed odd to me about Han being in the Imperial Academy was how he has seemingly no idea how to handle the radio protocol on the Death Star in Episode IV. "We're all fine, here, now, how are you? *cringe*", boring conversation anyway, etc. I wonder if in this movie, maybe he didn't get far enough to learn that kind of thing? For that matter, I wonder how much they'll tell us about the Imperial Academy. Presumably Tie Fighter pilots come from there after they stopped using clones, and we know that's where Biggs went before he defected, and where Luke wanted to go if not for Uncle Owen constantly putting it off in favor of keeping Luke on the moisture farm. But we never really saw anything about the academy until now, except probably in EU works.

Edited by Mitsukara, 05 February 2018 - 12:42 PM.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

"I might be the only person who knows what you really are."

A scoundrel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users