Announcing ZeldaShark (current v1.2.0)

cheat

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 AviSoft

AviSoft

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

ZeldaShark is a spiritual successor to ZConsole, born of my trouble playing older quests which don't run right in ZC 2.50. It can enable level 4 cheats for any quest, and will show you the cheat codes for quests which have cheats enabled.
It was designed for, and has been tested in, Windows XP thru 7 and 10; I don't foresee any problems with 8 or 11 but I haven't tested it.

If you have trouble with ZeldaShark, or it needs updating in the future, PM me. I will hopefully see that... I think my email likes to ignore notifications sometimes.

screenshot2.png

Newest Version: 1.2.0 - Oct 14, 2021 - The 'Oh, I forgot I started giving the releases nicknames' edition

Full Setup: ZeldaShark_1.2.0_Setup [Mf]

Executable only (you'll need the Visual Studio/C++ 2017-2019+ runtimes): ZeldaShark_1.2.0 [Mf]

• added 2.53 "LTS" Release 2 (b33), 17 April 2019
  • added 2.53.1 b54
  • added 2.55 a98/B61
  • changed the build environment (and now the download is twice the size even though it's only using ~1MB of files in the redistributable. Thanks, microsoft.)
  • changed the window drawing routine so it won't look so ghastly on W8+ (ugh!)

*This has not been exhaustively tested with the newest ZC versions. If you see garbled text strings or nonsensical data, close it and ZC, and then re-run them and try again. If it doesn't straighten out after some tries, message me.

A Pitiful "Readme"

It's pretty hard to get lost while using it, but here are the basics:

• In the upper-left are three text fields: they give you the state of the program and ZC, including any errors.
  • In the upper-right is just a button to show your basic About screen.
  • In the center appears the title of the currently loaded quest (assuming, of course, it successfully accesses ZC).
  • Below that is an area which displays the passwords for the current quest (or whether it has them disabled). The level 1 code appears on the top line, and level 4 on the bottom. Note that levels can be blank, so you may see one or more blank lines for some quests. Right-clicking will bring up a menu to copy one code or all to the clipboard (don't try to select the text; it's not a "real" text box!)
  • At the bottom is the enable cheat button. It functions like a check box; click to turn on level 4 cheats, click again to disable. On the left of the button (and echoed in the tray icon if you're using W7+) is an indicator that shows green when cheat level 4 is on. It also keeps track of what you're doing in ZC, turning green if you enable level 4 manually, and yellow for any lesser level.

It supports pretty much any major release of ZC you can find, from 1.92b183 on up to 2.55 a98. I'll try to keep it updated if I see any newer versions.

Well, I think that's enough for instructions; have fun with it. Post in this topic or send me a message if you have trouble running it or other technical issues. Size is about 5.2MB [<1.1.0] / 12.7MB [1.2.0]; sorry it's not smaller but it needs the Visual C++ 2010 [<1.1.0] or 2017+ runtimes [1.2.0] (if your system already has them it won't waste time installing them).

Older Versions

1.1.0 - Comet 45P edition

Full setup: ZeldaShark 1.1.0 Setup [Mf]

Executable only(so be sure you have the runtimes): ZeldaShark 1.1.0 [Mf]

• added 2.50.2 Final (build 28)
  • added 2.50.3 RC1 support
  • added a user-assisted patch search function for future unknown versions

When it sees an unknown version, pop-up dialogs will walk you through the patch searching function. ZeldaShark will ask you to load the 1st.qst (which comes with the ZC downloads) so it can search (you can pause ZC during the process; but it shouldn't matter either way). If successful, it will then tell you to enter a cheat code it has enabled. You will have to pause/unpause once or twice to make the Cheat menu visible, then enter the code and hit OK on the dialog to continue. If the second search is successful, the patch data will be saved in your registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AviSoft\ZeldaShark\[the file size of the ZC version]. Figuring out the versions' names is kinda tricky, so you can edit the VerName field to name it as you see fit. Since it's saved, the next time ZeldaShark sees that file, it will auto-apply the saved patch and you can use it as normal.

There is also a fallback in case some portions of the patch aren't found - ZeldaShark will try to patch it so you can enter "ZShark" to get level 4 cheats. (This has not been thoroughly tested.   :nerd: )

If you cancelled the auto-search, you can start it again by double-clicking on the version line (the second from the top; "Zelda Classic v2.50" in the image above).

1.0.4 - Turkey leftovers edition

Full setup: ZeldaShark 1.0.4 Setup [Mf]

Executable only(so be sure you have the runtimes): ZeldaShark 1.0.4 [Mf]

• added 2.50.1 Final (build 28) support
  • expanded spline auto-reticulation area
  • changed strings of recognized ZC version (added build numbers)

• fixed a rare but possible stack corruption (var overwriting) during patching

Full setup: ZeldaShark 1.0.3 Setup [Mf]

Executable only: ZeldaShark 1.0.3 [Mf]

• added RC1 (oops, skipped it before) and RC3 support (aka build 25 and 27)
  • changed "versionless" quests to simply display as blank instead of "[v0]"
  • reticulated splines
  • found way for splines to automatically reticulate

Full setup: ZeldaShark 1.0.2 [Uploaded] | ZeldaShark 1.0.2 [Mediafire]

Executable only: ZeldaShark 1.0.2 [MediaFire]

If you have cheats active, it probably bears mentioning:

Nathaniel: ...cheating could potentially break how some things work in some quests.

If anybody finds it useful, you can thank me by...telling me what that Metroid quest is on the lower left at http://www.zeldaclassic.com/what.php -- searches aren't helping :confused: .
(Future me: Don't worry, people told me what it was.)
-----------

While I'm here, I want to show you another ZC-related program I made in case anyone would find it useful. This I call ZeldaGrabber.

Zelda_Grabber_ex.png

(click to enlarge)

It's still only in a beta stage now, but it takes shots of game screens while you're playing. I made it to keep myself from getting lost or forgetting to go back to look at things, etc.; you might like it to make area maps. You can easily arrange each screen discretely in its place without having to carefully align pixels like an image editor. So, if any folks think it would be helpful, let me know in here, too.

Well, I see several posts (more than I expected) with interest in ZeldaGrabber, so I'll try to have a basic version up here after getting rid of some quirks. (Not, like, immediately, but it shouldn't be too long, hopefully.) I'll make a post in this sub-forum announcing it.

Thanks, and take care.

Edited by AviSoft, 14 October 2021 - 01:59 AM.

• Ventus and Demonlink like this

#2 Shane

Shane

πŸ’™

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

ZeldaGrabber sounds amazing.

#3 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

That looks like the Metroid XL-75 Remake quest by Exate. He has a link to his quests here, and it should be included. I highly recommend it and also Link's Nightmare, which should be in the zip file.

• AviSoft likes this

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

I personally like the idea of ZeldaGrabber, it can really help me out with making dungeons for my quests :D

• Shane likes this

#5 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

Zelda grabber looks cool, Zelda shark, no.

-Strike

• Shane and Avaro like this

#6 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

πŸ”Έ

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

I like both ideas! :o

#7 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Suddenly, beating Fun In The Sun and Fun In The Sun 2 are now possible.

#8 Link1

Link1

Senior

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Wasn't a thread like this around a couple of weeks ago? :confused:

#9 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

Oh man hell yeah for the Zelda Shark!, some quest might be beatable and enjoyable now!. Zelda grabber looks cool as well... But I'm more interested in the ZS! :D

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#10 Shane

Shane

πŸ’™

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

Time for scripters to make an anti-cheat script. Would totally dig.

Insta-death by cheating seems fair to me.

Edited by Charizard, 30 May 2014 - 09:34 AM.

• Eddy and Binx like this

#11 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

ZeldaShark is cleverer than ZScript ;P

Using the program to enable cheats has no influence on the Game->Cheat variable, and setting it to 0 each frame doesn't work either. ZeldaShark can maintain the scripts enabled for 1 frame or so, enough time to still take advantage of the cheats.

• Shane likes this

#12 Shane

Shane

πŸ’™

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

ZeldaShark is cleverer than ZScript ;P

Using the program to enable cheats has no influence on the Game->Cheat variable, and setting it to 0 each frame doesn't work either. ZeldaShark can maintain the scripts enabled for 1 frame or so, enough time to still take advantage of the cheats.

Well, at least this can do.

Personally, what I am more worried about is that people will be lazier to report bugs, since they'll just use cheats and go about their way. I grown to accept the fact if people sequence broke anything or cheated and criticized me for it, I shouldn't take the reviewer seriously at all.

Edited by Charizard, 30 May 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#13 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

Time for scripters to make an anti-cheat script. Would totally dig.

Insta-death by cheating seems fair to me.

That seems a bit cruel you know? I don't see the big deal is with cheating, heck maybe someone would want to play a quest with cheats where they don't have to grind for rupees or when someone has an overkill boss and they run out potions and they no longer want to die there.

I know I'm going to use this on quite a few quest where I can enjoy them without unneeded grinding of money.

#14 Shane

Shane

πŸ’™

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

My (and other) quests don't feature any of the sort, so that means it isn't cruel to use such a script, no? I don't see the big deal of having anti-cheat scripts as much as there isn't a big deal of cheating in quests. ;)

Edited by Charizard, 30 May 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#15 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

Its still cruel ya know? no matter what the premise it seems wrong to punish someone for cheating. I don't have to worry about that, at least I believe there is no way to stop the engine cheats through scripts.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users