Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Download

Finally.

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

So I guess Zelda Classic really is an Armageddon Game now. Hyuk hyuk hyuk.

Mayans predicted 2.5's release.
  • The Satellite likes this

#3 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Woohoo!

Thank you to all the developers of this wonderful program.

#4 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

This is the best news I've heard in forever. Wow! I can't believe this day has finally come.

Thank all of the developers SO much!!!

I'm so happy! icon_awesome.gif

-Strike

Edited by strike, 21 December 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#5 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Now the real question:
Whats next?

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Anyone who thinks the Devs deserve a sorely needed vacation for their tenacity, post in this thread.

.. heh.

#7 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Aye!

-Strike

#8 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(aaa2 @ Dec 21 2012, 11:27 AM) View Post
Now the real question:
Whats next?

Well, now we start rewriting the whole thing from scratch. But there'll also surely be a 2.50.1 to fix more bugs, probably within a few months.

#9 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(Saffith @ Dec 21 2012, 10:39 AM) View Post

Well, now we start rewriting the whole thing from scratch.

Does this mean old quests won't be compatible with ZC 3? What's the reason for rewriting it from scratch?

#10 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

And just in time before world's end, too. icon_razz.gif

Seriously, though, this is great. A big thank you to all the developers and contributors!

#11 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

A rewrite can be the best thing to happen.

Imagine you're unpacking a box into another box of the same size. You have no idea what's in the first box. You have to make all of the pieces fit as well or better than they did in the first box, or it won't close.

If you don't see what all of the pieces are at once, you're not going to be able to plan your placement. If you do see it all, you can at least plan for proper piece placement.

That's sort of what the rewrite will be like. Now that all these features are in 2.5, we already know just what the new rewritten program will need to do and how it will work, but it won't have any of the mess of the past to worry about. It can be written cleanly and for efficiency the first time, without having to worry about backwards compatibility with itself.

It will, of course, likely have to be compatible with the old quest format, but that's likely going to be very easy, because it can be written specifically to do that. But who knows. I'm wishing the Devs worlds of luck with all of this.

It's a worthy cause.

#12 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Saffith @ Dec 21 2012, 11:39 AM) View Post

Well, now we start rewriting the whole thing from scratch. But there'll also surely be a 2.50.1 to fix more bugs, probably within a few months.

Here's an idea: when you guys re-code ZC from scratch, add more options to make GBC style quests, like options for trade sequences, or more items like the Shovel or Pegasus Boots. Sure, you can do all of those things with scripts, but it would be nice to have things like trading simplified into menus. I'm downloading 2.50 now.

#13 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(Jamian @ Dec 21 2012, 11:41 AM) View Post

Does this mean old quests won't be compatible with ZC 3? What's the reason for rewriting it from scratch?

if there are to be any major new features in the future, a rewrite is really the only option. If we keep building on the current codebase, it'll easily be another decade before the next version. And Allegro 4.2 probably won't work very well on Windows 10.
We do plan for it to be backward compatible, though we haven't worked out the details yet.

#14 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(King Harkinian @ Dec 21 2012, 10:50 AM) View Post

Here's an idea: when you guys re-code ZC from scratch, add more options to make GBC style quests, like options for trade sequences, or more items like the Shovel or Pegasus Boots. Sure, you can do all of those things with scripts, but it would be nice to have things like trading simplified into menus. I'm downloading 2.50 now.

You can do trade sequences without scripting, just by using the string editor codes to add/remove items.

#15 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

This is like... the official finished Zelda Classic 2.50 right? icon_freak.gif

Can't believe this day actually came. After 6-7 years of waiting we finally have something stable again? Really have to try this out and I will literally eat my hat and pants if it indeed does work. This man will continue doubting until he sees the product in action and working properly. icon_biggrin.gif

By the way, is the ZC community still going strong? I'm just wondering will there be people playing my quests if I do some more? Oh man I haven't touched ZC for years but now would be a perfect time to get back into things...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users