I'm asking: MotM? How's it?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hello. for some time now, I've been running Map of the Month.
Oh, no, I'm not about to stop. That, infact, depends on YOU and how often you submit maps.
As long as I get maps, I will continue.
Anyway, I'm wondering if MotM is appealing to all of you out there.
Is there anything you think I could do in a different way, maybe?
Any complaints at all? Feedback maybe?
Any "features" you might want me to add?

There is a few things I'm already planning.
Like, an archive.
I'm already having my own offline archive at my computers ZC folder, but I AM planning to make it online some day. I've promised TriMaster to make it around the time when MotM 10 is out.
This will probably be situated in Screen 80, cause I've got moderator powers there, so I can lock and unlock the thread to my wanting.
The archive would not be open for discussion, but I would have a seperate thread, where you can discuss any of the MotM's archive maps. This is so you wouldn't have to gravedig or PM to comment a map on an older MotM. But, hey, PM's like "that map you made is awesome" is really awesome, and it REALLY gives the receiver a good feeling inside. Believe me icon_biggrin.gif /me hugs PM'ers.

Then there's another thing I'm planning on adding.
This is what I'd like to call "Upgraded Captions", which enables the map maker to clearly tell the viewers what exactly they're seeing. Schwa, though unintentionally, sparked this idea. It's rather simple, really. As in SotW, you have captions. This, we've got in MotM too, but no one seems to be using them.
An Upgraded Caption would preferably look like this:

Link to map here
-The top left corner leads to Gerudo Airstrip
-The road on the left arm of the clock, has three invisible warps, which will confuse you, for no apparent reason
-The purple tree can be bombed, so Revolution Fans have something to nag about later.

Though, not as random... or, if you WANT to make it random like that, feel free, but it probably won't earn you any votes.
What it should do, is to explain certain things about your map, that might not be visible for the naked eye.

Get my idea?

Well, things like that... I'd really like some more ideas, or even just feedback to how I'm doing things.
All I want, is to improve MotM for all of you.
So please contribute to MotM not only by giving me ideas and feedback here, but also by submitting your maps.
Small or big, interiors or overworlds... they are all welcome and are greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
-Migo

Edited by Migokalle, 06 August 2008 - 06:08 PM.

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

I have no complaints at all about MotM. icon_biggrin.gif

Just remember to keep all of your winners in storage for Map of the Year. icon_wink.gif

#3 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

MotM is fantastic. I like it even better than SotW, even though in SotW I actually won. icon_razz.gif

The captions thing is awesome. It'll give contestants a good way to explain stuff about their map that might be confusing just to look at.

I have one recommendation, but I think if at all you should wait until AFTER #10 to try it. Every few (3 or 4) rounds there'd be a "bonus round" so to speak where the map has to follow certain guidelines (examples: "Overworld only", "No more than 15 screens", "a Hookshot-themed map", etc.) We wouldn't want these bonus rounds that often, because limitations usually aren't too cool, but it would be interesting at least. Just, I would avoid imposing Tileset-based limitations, because many contestants pull maps out of their own project to show, and obviously not everyone uses the same Set. Hehe.

But yeah, this was a genius idea. I hope one day it actually gains site staff support and you become a Contributor. icon_wink.gif

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

Hmm... I really like that idea! I'll think about it, really.
Thanks!

But yeah, this was a genius idea. I hope one day it actually gains site staff support and you become a Contributor.

Oh, thanks :3 Just so you know, I'm not the ONLY one that had this idea... it actually sparked during a conversation with Deviance, though I do think I actually had the idea of actually DOING it first. Though, this is a very long time ago, so I may remember wrong icon_biggrin.gif

#5 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:34 PM

I truly love it, so far. It's a fantastic idea that is being well-executed. I cannot ask for much more.

There. Is that short and to-the-point enough? icon_razz.gif

#6 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

Yeah! It warms my heart when I get comments like these icon_biggrin.gif
I personally love doing this too. I mean, I love doing it. I like holding arrangements that really work out and seems to be liken by other people.

Cause, even if it sounds cliche, but that's what I'm all about:
To do my best to make the ones around me happy. Cause that makes me happy. :3
Thanks!

Edited by Migokalle, 06 August 2008 - 06:53 PM.

#7 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Its got its ups and downs, thats for sure icon_thumbsup.gif

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

I love it! I think the captions idea is great, and Schwa's idea is also great! I think MotM should have it's own forum like SotW, but I'm not sure if the admins would like that.

#9 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

I think you're doing a great job, Migokalle. Keep up the good work, I have no complaints.

#10 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

Well said, Eurysilas- I agree completely.

I have enjoyed this as much- if not perhaps more- as SotW, and I find it quite resourceful, but still something I'll easily go out of my way for. You've put on a good show, Migo, and I hope you'll keep 'em up.

#11 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:58 AM

Aww, thanks! I'm really happy that you all like it icon_biggrin.gif
I will make sure that it doesen't come to an end anytime soon... even if I have to make 4 maps of my own, just to submit them! J/K icon_biggrin.gif

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

The site has spoken! PZC LOVES MOTM!

Now hurry up and release Month 5. icon_razz.gif

#13 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

:3
Well, that won't be til next month, you know. xD
And even if it wasn't, I wouldn't want to release it right now, as I've only got two maps so far :3

#14 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

I like MotM the way it is, personally. It's great to see new maps every month, and I find it enjoyable. Thansk for hosting this! icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users