On rating quests

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#16 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Maybe we just need a professional rater who downloads and plays EVERY quest. His rating will be the absolute one thats being displayed.

#17 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I could certainly get behind that were it a paying gig. icon_lol.gif

#18 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

Isn't this the same thing that happened to Youtube? People either voted 5 stars or 1 star. Therefor, they removed the ability to rate videos, and introduced "likes" and "dislikes". Also, do The Darknut Within really deserve 5 stars, or is it just because people find it hilarious? icon_smile.gif

#19 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Hoff123 @ Apr 2 2013, 01:59 PM) View Post

Isn't this the same thing that happened to Youtube? People either voted 5 stars or 1 star. Therefor, they removed the ability to rate videos, and introduced "likes" and "dislikes". Also, do The Darknut Within really deserve 5 stars, or is it just because people find it hilarious? icon_smile.gif
It hilariously deserves 5 stars. Maybe not as much as some quests (like HoD), but it's up there in a comedic way. Like Mario rampage. (watch TeamUDFs playthrough as well, for the full darknut, I mean effect)

Edited by Franky, 02 April 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#20 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Darknut within....yeah, I'm guilty of giving a joke quest a joke rating, which is probably a bad thing. Rating while sleep deprived and easily amused is a bad idea. icon_frown.gif

I've also noticed that there's a weird stigma with joke quests that if you don't like them or rate them highly, then you "didn't get the joke" or don't have a sense of humor. While it's all fun to laugh at a joke quest, they shouldn't be placed on a higher pedestal because they're not taking themselves seriously.

#21 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(Aevin @ Apr 2 2013, 04:51 PM) View Post
I think a lot of people think like that. And I don't find anything wrong with it. Given that many of the people here are programmers and veteran game designers/rom hackers, it's not surprising that the interests of the majority are in the technical stuff behind game making. I, on the other hand, consider myself a storyteller who just happens to make games, so I do sometimes wish people valued story more. I should also clarify that I don't believe a good story needs to be very complex.

I like to consider myself a storyteller as well, and while video games are a great medium to tell a great story, I guess my gamer takes over when I play a game; it's up to the game itself to appeal to my inner storyteller and change my perspective. The Phoenix Wright games did that; I don't care for their gameplay controls at all, but they tell a good story, so I kept playing them. If a ZC game manages to do that, then it'll get that special props from me. Even better if it manages to keep shifting my viewpoint throughout the game, from caring more about the story than the gameplay to more about the gameplay than the story. Skyward Sword did that a little, for instance.

But even if the story's fantastic, if the game's outright unplayable, I'll go watch a walkthrough instead. icon_blah.gif

#22 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

What a great thread to start right before we get our site update! icon_biggrin.gif Yeah dude, but the thing is that what you're saying is the same thing that used to happen to Youtube. Generally when people are rating quests they really don't put much thought into it and it the result is that there are a ton of disproportionate ratings...IMO A good solution would be to either

A) Introduce a ratings system similar to dA's critique system to make people think much more thoroughly about their grade.
or
B) Employ a system similar to Gamefaq's ratings where there are "Player ratings" that are out of 10, and "Admin ratings" which are also out of 10, and you could search based upon either rating.

#23 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

One thing that I think would actually be helpful is to just simplify the ratings to a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down, with ratings being optional. That way, with ratings being simpler, people would (hopefully) be more likely to rate quests. More ratings, better average.

...Right?

#24 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Possibly, better yet, three or four ratings. "Excellent," "Good," "Passable," "Needs a ton of work." Even three ratings could be useful.

If it were only two possible ratings, it's either thumbs up or thumbs down, ... i.e. "This quest is really bad," and "This is a quest."

#25 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

You could also make a rating system such as the "likes" on facebook (I don't even use facebook, though I know how it works), with no possibility to give a dislike. This still works because quests that nobody likes don't get a "like" rating.

The amount of "likes" generated by a quest would indicate how many people felt it was a worthy quest, yet it would not get bogged down by ratings solely destined to lower a quest's ranking.

On the other hand I can imagine joke quests getting a lot of "likes" simply because they amused people.

Well, it's just a random thought, this can certainly be planned out better, but it's an idea.

#26 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Apr 2 2013, 02:31 PM) View Post

Possibly, better yet, three or four ratings. "Excellent," "Good," "Passable," "Needs a ton of work." Even three ratings could be useful.

Amazing, Good, Needs a ton of work?

#27 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

... I ... ... I really can't imagine anything other than "yes" as a response. icon_shrug.gif So, yes. A very happy, yes. ^_^

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

*continues the chain*
You can also just get rid of the rating system. The comments alone could tell the tale of the quest. People who want to be thorough will be thorough and have their own "inner ratings," like "Story 10/10" or "Gameplay 39/40" to give a more precise meaning of what they are saying. If a quest gets no comments (or any other submission for that matter; why does it have to apply to just quests?), then people haven't played it. If they have, they'd leave their mark on the page for sure.

Otherwise, I say Like and Dislike system. No complicated scaling going on, either people like it or they don't. Simple as that. Any more complicated than that results in threads like this.

#29 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Ya know, a Like/Dislike system that's as simple as +1 and -1 to the score, in addition to the current system, could be good. Maybe I could search for "Quests a lot of people are liking recently", for example. Even if a lot of people are liking it, it could still be anywhere from a 3-5 range, which would also influence my decision about what to play, but number of likes vs dislikes would also play a factor. It could be cool to have both. icon_shrug.gif

#30 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

I present to you PureZC's new rating system:

Anyway a like/dislike system is an awful idea, in my opinion. I prefer an average system based on points rather than thumbs. I never liked the rating switch on YouTube (especially since it led to awful "x amount of people y" comments), so I'd personally rather not see it here. Personally I think the discussion of any potential new rating systems should wait until after the majority of PureZC gets to experience and get used to the new system on the new site. icon_shrug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users