Astronomy

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#46 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

New horizons must be almost to Pluto now,  was not forecast for the 14 july the closest approach ?

#47 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

New horizons must be almost to Pluto now,  was not forecast for the 14 july the closest approach ?

New horizons is close. In fact, I read that it found methane on pluto!

Also- Eddy, have you heard of Magnetars? They're highly magnetic celestial bodies. Just another thing that makes outer-space fascinating.

Here's and article on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetar

#48 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:18 AM

Also- Eddy, have you heard of Magnetars? They're highly magnetic celestial bodies. Just another thing that makes outer-space fascinating.

Here's and article on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetar

Yes, I've heard all about these. I looked into a bit of it a while ago, really amazing stuff. I guess while we're on the topic of that, ever heard of Pulsar Planets? :P

And @New Horizons, nice! I can't wait to see what information will come out of this.

#49 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

Yes, I've heard all about these. I looked into a bit of it a while ago, really amazing stuff. I guess while we're on the topic of that, ever heard of Pulsar Planets? :P

And @New Horizons, nice! I can't wait to see what information will come out of this.

I've heard of pulsars, but I'm not quite sure what they do.

#50 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

I haven't really looked into Pulsars that much, but in brief they are "Pulsating Radio Stars", which are basically neutron stars (the dead core of a star that is the result of a supernova) that rotate extremely rapidly and emit a beam of very strong electromagnetic radiation on two sides, which I think is mostly X-Rays.

• Dark Ice Dragon and Logos like this

#51 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

supermassive black holes,  it is supposed to be in the center of our galaxy and that each galaxy have at least one

#52 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:06 AM

http://pluto.jhuapl....page=20150711-2

We got some pretty close pictures yesterday, though they're only black and white. Better pictures will still have to wait until the actual fly by.

• Eddy and Astromeow like this

#53 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

That's some really cool news. Looking forward to seeing what else New Horizons can bring to us on the 14th.

#54 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

http://pluto.jhuapl....page=20150711-2

We got some pretty close pictures yesterday, though they're only black and white. Better pictures will still have to wait until the actual fly by.

It's a good time to be alive and turning 21. I believe we are entering a golden era of humanity, a modern renaissance.

Very glad to see humans are still operating and striving to unlock the secrets of our species next frontier. May sciences and technologies continue to boom at rapid rates, to thus thrust Earth into a Type 1 civilization.

The dark areas on Pluto is very fascinating. What may have been a lifeless planet may in time exhibit the wonderful and active physics regarding to the planets environment.

Im actually kinda surprised and happy, that humans arent tripping so hard on this imagery. I was expecting many mentions of finding extreme life through hyper guessing and postulation. These's more cool stuff going on than always trying to attach a "is there life possible now?" with these new solar system and beyond discoveries and oddities.

#55 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

in the past was said ithat Pluto was not spherical , from the images seem to me that is spherical

#56 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

in the past was said ithat Pluto was not spherical , from the images seem to me that is spherical

I have never heard that, and frankly, it makes no sense that anyone would say that. Pluto might be a dwarf planet, but it's large enough that its gravity should keep it close to a spherical shape, and we've known that for a long time.

#57 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:14 PM

Aw crap, have I had found the news about New Horizons' close approach to Pluto a few days ago I would have used the obligatory "Dawn of the X day" pics from Majora's Mask.

Now it's too late, only 14 hours remains :(

#58 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

It's a good time to be alive and turning 21. I believe we are entering a golden era of humanity, a modern renaissance.

Very glad to see humans are still operating and striving to unlock the secrets of our species next frontier. May sciences and technologies continue to boom at rapid rates, to thus thrust Earth into a Type 1 civilization.

The dark areas on Pluto is very fascinating. What may have been a lifeless planet may in time exhibit the wonderful and active physics regarding to the planets environment.

Im actually kinda surprised and happy, that humans arent tripping so hard on this imagery. I was expecting many mentions of finding extreme life through hyper guessing and postulation. These's more cool stuff going on than always trying to attach a "is there life possible now?" with these new solar system and beyond discoveries and oddities.

Actually you're going to wish you were just born yesterday, living in the far future - Alot of things in the future are going to make you so envious when you're old and grey in your 50's and 60's looking at all the kids with digital and brain enhancements and their minds connected to the internet by chips and whatnot and a division between - old fashioned limited humans and those that chose to have their brains enhanced with internet interfaces and you will have divisions of classes being those that refused enhancements get stuck in the lower dumb classes or those who can't afford them get boxed up while the cool kids get to live up high in their skylight anti-gravity mansions in the High-high class with their anime - science fiction based academies and the intimidation will be so intense you will just burn up at what kids and teens get to do in the future that leaves everyone all behind in the dust.

(Also, I've already got that immortality thing worked out actually and am reason for the origins of the functions of that division of humanity being a hybrid human ..')

There is plenty of space for us all.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 13 July 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#59 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:37 AM

What's this fictional futuristic stuff got to do with Astronomy?

#60 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

What's this fictional futuristic stuff got to do with Astronomy?

To infinite... and beyond!
  • Russ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users