• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:29 PM

Balance of Nature LP- Part 1

After a long wait, this requested playthrough has begun.

A little background on this quest.
The initial idea behind this was to revisit areas seen in only a handful of games, in a unique story.
More specifically; Holodrum, Labrynna and Termina.
However, I soon realized that cramming all of these areas into one quest would be nearly impossible.
This gave rise to a new concept: a series of quests centered around on storyline.
This is the first in that series.

There are quite a few scripted features that this quest shows off.
For example, those block puzzles that make sounds and stay solved were my invention.
(Mostly because I couldn't get scripts that were supposed to do that to work)
Although none of my original enemies have shown up yet, the Armos was made by Saffith.

In case you were wondering, the Gasha Seed and Animal Flute are part of a trading sequence.
It will be a while before you get to the next part of it, though.

The owl not giving you a reward until after speaking to him again was just how that was set up.
There are other npc's with rewards for 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 Crystalline Flames.

If you pursue the trading sequence and Crystalline Flame rewards, you will get access to a secret final boss and ending. Not sure if you want to try, though.

Finally, getting the tunic early is part of the way I deliberately designed this to be easy.
I was tired of quests where you had to wander half the world to find a sword or the 1st dungeon.
I put the boss there to discourage a player from going too early, but where if they were capable enough; it was available right away.

Looking forward to the rest of the adventure!

Edited by ywkls, 10 September 2019 - 11:23 PM.

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:23 PM

Part 2

So, as Melee Wizard has guessed; every dungeon map is shaped like the item you get inside.

The designs get crazier as the quest goes on.

Also, the gimmick of level 3; the over-under map- was used in the vast majority of the dungeons.

So expect to see it a lot more.

The boss for level 4 is the first scripted boss I currently have in this quest, though I've been thinking about making all of them that way.

I just haven't quite finalized what I want to use and where.

Also, it isn't obvious; but the ladder in this quest is completely scripted.

I did this because of issues with the built-in ladder getting stuck on water and things.

Looking forward to the next part!

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

Part 3

My original design of level 5 had a glaring flaw which got some players softlocked.

All of the LTTP style enemies inside (Pengator, Zazak) were scripts I wrote for this quest.

While a digdogger may seem inevitable for a dungeon where you get the Ocarina, I actually plan a Giant  Pols Voice as a replacement.

The timing of the acquisition of the 10th crystalline flame to the reward isn't coincidental.

I tried to be generous in this quest, dishing out new stuff fairly often.

If you're wondering about the many chests with bombs and arrows in them; it's due to the lack of an easy to reach ammo shop.

The Revival Potion is also scripted and is a one-time full heal. You can always buy more, though.

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:24 PM

Part 4

Two more dungeons down, many secrets found!

The odd locations of things aren't exactly intentional.

I designed things in a very haphazard fashion without thinking it through in this quest.

That's also why the world wrapping around is a thing.

The huge gap in sword upgrades will soon be rectified, by more swords than you'll ever need.

Also, early tunic due to no more of them until nearly the end of the quest.

I'm glad to see the warp zone coming in handy. It was a widely requested feature.

I will probably update the quest so that one wall in Dim Grotto isn't unmarked.

I originally intended more Crystalline Flames but ran out of places to put them.

The reason the dungeon count was so high was the desire to include nearly every standard item but have only one reward per dungeon,.

Of course, I break that rule a few times but it's the thought that counts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users