• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

http://nerdist.com/s...s-classic-2018/

This is a thing. I liked the original so I'll be keeping an eye on this. It's only slated for release on Sony's platforms and PC though, no Switch or Xbone versions announced yet.

edit: Video:

• Rambly and Joca like this

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

That sword looks a little bit rusty maybe. But yeah, this is great news!

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

I like the original for what it is, but... I guess maybe I'm just getting older, but am I the only one who is getting bored with these generic, chibi anime graphics? I know the original was bright, and the characters were depicted as chibi as many early RPG characters were but why not take this time to give us something truly awe inspiring? Why not go the extra mile to make it look, well, not like every other shadeless, chibi game out there? I'm not asking for photorealism, but it just looks like a cheap cash grab in some ways instead of a truly realized remake with its own sense of style.

Still, I'm glad we're getting it at all, just my thoughts is all.

#4 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

If this does well, then maybe—maybe—we'll actually finally see an official localization (remake or port) of Seiken Densetsu 3. I won't count on it, but it would definitely be nice.

• Rambly and Anthus like this

#5 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

I like the original for what it is, but... I guess maybe I'm just getting older, but am I the only one who is getting bored with these generic, chibi anime graphics? I know the original was bright, and the characters were depicted as chibi as many early RPG characters were but why not take this time to give us something truly awe inspiring? Why not go the extra mile to make it look, well, not like every other shadeless, chibi game out there? I'm not asking for photorealism, but it just looks like a cheap cash grab in some ways instead of a truly realized remake with its own sense of style.

it depend from the game, i think  this graphic is cute for this RPG, don't forget that even monsters was cute in the original SoM

Other that graphics,...i see that they add a mini map, let's hope that there even things like extra levels and optional boss

• Anthus likes this

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

it depend from the game, i think this graphic is cute for this RPG, don't forget that even monsters was cute in the original SoM
Other that graphics,...i see that they add a mini map, let's hope that there even things like extra levels and optional boss

They mention this in the article, but it is kinda cool how the mini map is the SNES version's map.

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

I was doing a playthrough of the SNES game with my brother, but he lost interest. Not thrilled with the idea of finishing it alone

#8 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:32 PM

I was meaning to play Secret of Mana sooner or later. Now that this remake has been announced I just might have to wait for it to come out and see which version is recommended.

#9 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

Why don't they just make another game? Secret of mana is so great that even today I go back to it every once and a while. Build from it!

• Anthus likes this

#10 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

I'd agree if it didn't actually match the style the original game and artwork conveyed.   You see, although this chibi anime style has been popular for 3D RPGs as of late, the ones that actually had this art style even in the concept art translate just fine.  If this were Chrono Trigger, though, I'd expect the art style to be more reminiscent of Akira Toriyama's art style, like Dragon Quests 8 and 9.  

#11 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:31 AM

I may have to give this a shot sometime.  I have played the original and SD3 both and enjoyed them immensely.  

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

If this does well, then maybe—maybe—we'll actually finally see an official localization (remake or port) of Seiken Densetsu 3. I won't count on it, but it would definitely be nice.

Well, I did find this while looking up official artwork for the first game. Seiken Densetsu 3 was 'teased' on the Switch. This is from March, and predates the SM remake. This looks to be more like a Virtual Console translation/ port than a remake though. Maybe, just maybe, they are secretly remaking both.

And again, while I don't hate the art style, I just kind of wish there were different filters, or effects or something. It just looks like straight up textured models with like no shading. It does little to set itself apart from other games of this style, and if they are attempting to show a new generation this game, it needs to pop out cause there is an endless sea of games that look like this now. I know it's still WIP, but they could give it some extra flare, and make it look like a painting, or something. I dunno. I'm just that guy who is sick of anime style RPGs, but I know I'm surely alone on that one. :P

And he has that damn generic anime 90s kid who becomes a hero voice gaaaaaaaah

#13 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

Why don't they just make another game? Secret of mana is so great that even today I go back to it every once and a while. Build from it!

I disagree, personally. I've always found the original Secret of Mana to be incredibly clunky, and honestly a bit of a broken mess.

I'm pretty excited for this remake, honestly. While I would definitely love to see a remake of another RPG (*COUGH* ROMANCING SAGA ON A PLATFORM THAT DOESN'T SUCK *COUGH*), I do think Secret of Mana really could work well with the remake treatment.

• Orithan likes this

#14 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

Honestly, my major issue with Secret of Mana is the need to wait for your attack to recharge. It's pretty annoying but maybe it can be improved in the remake. I prefer the sequel much more (can get this localized please?).

I find it weird that it will be released for PS4, Vita and PC of all things. No Switch or even Xbone.

Edited by Norzan, 04 September 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

So there is a collection in Japan on the Switch of the first three games. Sorry it's on shitposty Kotaku. The Switch is region free, so you could theoretically get this, but you'll have to play the games in Japanese.

edit: So, I looked at a bunch of official artwork of the characters from the original. Well, not really, there isn't that much out there. I guess technically the 3D models are pretty faithful to the drawings, and clay models, but the artwork has more of an edge to it. The proportions are still kinda chibi, but their faces look more.. I dunno, just more unique. If I didn't know already, I couldn't tell that model of Randi apart from a Bravely Default character, or an Ever Oasis character. Randi looks like he's like 6 in this trailer, and Purim also looks like she'd be too young to be wearing this. That's the other thing, why do we need day one DLC costumes in a remake of an action JRPG from 25 years ago?

Wait, it's 2017, I guess there real question is, why wouldn't there be day one DLC costumes in a remake of an action JRPG from 25 years ago. All of this really has no effect on how thew game will play, and again, I don't hate the art style. I like it generally, I'm just kind of tired of it. If you want proof I'm not a hater, I like Purim's model from a 3D mobile game that everyone hated. :blah: (It's like an OC where someone mixed Shantae and Princess Peach.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users