Photo

Screenshot of the Week 744

Ephemeral.7 Haritiro HeroOfFire

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 744 (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your Vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:50 PM

I'm liking the distinctly different styles in this week's shots. Leave a vote for your favorite, and some feedback!

Ephemeral.7
Ephemeral7.gif
Display of Contrast Between the Red, Green and Blue or Something...

Haritiro
Haritiro.png

HeroOfFire
HeroOfFire.png
Bit of a contrast on the other side...

#2 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:16 PM

Voted Hari cause I'm a sucker for GB-esque.

I'm also hoping theres another cave behind the falls.

#3 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:26 PM

Aw man, I was really expecting Ben (Bagel) to enter this knowing his history with the number 744. Oh well.

I like the feel of Ephemeral's screen. The contrast between fire and lava is definitely attractive. I think the ground is perhaps a little dark for its own good. It makes it difficult to make out the walkable area of the screen.

Haritiro's shot has a polished, classic feel. The smaller shrubs might benefit from the same light-green highlights present on the trees (but I'd need to see it in action to know). The upstage cliff that masks the water gives some depth to the scene. Nice!

HeroOfFire, I think the design of your shot is overall quite good from a functional persective. Is there a story behind the square trees and squared-off indents in the ground? I do like the vines on the right side and how the stone lines the border between water and earth.

My vote this week goes to Haritiro.

• Nathaniel, Twilight Knight, Jared and 1 other like this

#4 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:40 AM

I really like Ephemeral's screen in terms of atmosphere but it's just a little too cluttered in my opinion. I ended up voting for Haritiro's. Hero of Fire's is also good, those boxy trees compliment the aesthetics of the other tiles nicely. Good turn out this week!

• nicklegends and Twilight Knight like this

#5 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:51 AM

Ephemeral.7

These graphics are outstanding! A very awesomely detailed screen. Those water tiles are mesmerising!

I do agree with some of the given feedback, it's hard to see where you can walk on this screen. I'm not sure how you could fix that... Perhaps using the floor tiles even on the darker spots could help.

I voted for this screen for the great atmosphere, the awesome graphics and design.

Haritiro

These are great (custom?) graphics and I really like the design of this screen.

That lighter grass throws me off a bit, but that makes sense if it's intended to draw more attention. The paving also doesn't fit in quite that well, it seems to be floating on top of the grass. Perhaps you could use some grassy details in it or add some shadows to the grass?

HeroOfFire

Great screen design and atmosphere. This looks fun to play.

I must say that I'm not a big fan of those blocky graphics, for it's hard to grasp the perspective, but I think you pulled it off very well. Especially with those blocky trees, they fit right in. The mushrooms are a bit cheaty though, they aren't square  :P

• nicklegends and Bagu like this

#6 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:14 PM

Aw man, I was really expecting Ben (Bagel) to enter this knowing his history with the number 744. Oh well.

truly a missed opportunity

anyway these are all really incredible aesthetics and i would vote for all of them if i could. but i can't so i'm gonna vote for ephemeral.7 because i'm really digging everything going on between the elements and layers and whatnot

• nicklegends likes this

#7 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:37 PM

I voted for Haritiro.  I really like the usage of the Pokemon mountain tiles here - I don't recognize the others though, but they're all really well synthesized and fit together really well.  Great graphical consistency.

I'm a little torn on Ephemeral.7 - I really like the contrast between the very dark stone colors and the very bright lava, but it also is kind of hard to see the details on a lot of areas of the screen.

HeroOfFire has a really nice atmosphere, palette, and style, but it just wasn't as striking as Haritiro for me.  I agree with the consensus that the trees do work pretty well in this style.

#8 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:57 PM

Um, I hope this isn't rude... Looking at Haritiro's screen again I noticed that I feel like the stone path doesn't align quite naturally with the other terrain. If it's an issue at all I believe it can be fixed super easily by recoloring the darkest grey with the grass colors, kinda like this:

Unbenannt.png

That's kind of like the golden road tiles work in SD3 for example.

• Rambly, nicklegends, Twilight Knight and 4 others like this

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:58 PM

I just got back from the doctor, cause Ephemeral.7's shot gave me an erection for more than four hours. DoR is a hard set to use (I'm sorry) and seeing such unique use of it makes me nostalgic. The other two are good too of course.

• Hergiswi, nicklegends, Twilight Knight and 4 others like this

#10 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:53 AM

Ephemeral7.gifp

Perfect!!!
...this is giving me "Secret of Evermore" vibes, for any reason.

Edited by Bagu, 09 December 2020 - 10:55 AM.

#11 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:00 PM

I just got back from the doctor, cause Ephemeral.7's shot gave me an erection for more than four hours.

Wow, I've heard of the quest, "Link's Erection", but,

i liked them all but haritiro's is my fav

• Hergiswi and Anthus like this

#12 Hari

Hari

Snivy Gang

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:24 AM

Some of the feedback in this thread has been implemented, including adding highlights to the small bushes, and the suggestion made by Sheik about the brick path tiles.

zquest_screen00258.png

Also, the tiles are a combination of ripped, edited, and custom tiles. The mountains are from Pokemon GSC.

Some of the tiles are from here:

https://www.purezc.n...e=tiles&id=1438

The grass details are custom (aside from the border tiles between the light and dark grass). The character sprite is a heavily edited version of one of the Link sprites from EZGBZ.

The water is from EZGBZ, and the water-grass borders are by Shane, with some edits by me (rounding off the corners).

Most of the tiles have minor edits to help them fit together better (the most major edit being editing the trees to make them tileable, though that was more of a stylistic choice then an edit for cohesion), with custom tiles to fill in where needed. I'm also making custom tiles based on these ones to have variety in the different areas of the quest, such as making different tree varieties for the other overworld areas.

But yeah, thanks for the feedback. :)

Edit: Also, the palette is custom and based off of the EZGBZ 2.50 palette structure.

Edited by Haritiro, 16 December 2020 - 01:26 AM.

• nicklegends, Twilight Knight, Shane and 1 other like this

#13 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:10 AM

The new stuff is good, but I kinda like the old bushes too? They looked like berry bushes and the new ones just look like plain bushes. :P

#14 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 December 2020 - 03:22 PM

Voted for Ephemeral.7 for the stunning aesthetics, with just one suggestion to the author to be mindful of screen space going forward. This screen is a little too cramped. Replace most of that deep water with more shallow water, and make a wider bridge would solve this minor gripe.

Also, avoid open corners, it is a ZC sin.

#15 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:56 PM

Ephemeral, Ephemeral, 7times Ephemeral!!!
....sorry, but I really love this shot!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ephemeral.7, Haritiro, HeroOfFire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users