Beta 5.5 Almost Ready

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Though I've said this many times before, I haven't really been confident enough to give a clear date on when I will be releasing this beta other than the beginning of the summer holidays. Now that the summer holidays are here, some fans may be left wondering. "What's going on?"

Well, after grinding many hours touching up and making general improvements to this quest, and trying to meet a certain goal point. I have to admit I set my standards too high and have made a goal that was very difficult to reach in the time frame I have given myself.

But because of promises, I will release this beta as promised around this current frame in time. I am predicting either tomorrow, or within the next few days. To meet this deadline. I had to make a few sacrifices, the boss Helmet head will not be included in this current beta, but in fact he will be skipped and the storyline and gameplay will continue to the point of the game where I originally planned for the beta to end. Also, a few caves towards the end were also just slapped together to meet the deadline.

There are also some bugs that will be very noticeable towards the end that I may or may not be able to fix by the deadline, but these bugs are visual bugs, and will not effect actual gameplay.

But despite those minor setbacks, this beta will show exactly what this quest will have to offer. I encourage for many of those, if you have not yet got into this quest to do so now, and you can be the judge.

Beta 5.5 will include Lost Woods, Eldin Island, North Faron, South Faron, and a sample of Twilight Winter Death Mountain. These regions should give hours of exploration, also this beta will include 4 levels, and 2 palaces.

--- Palaces feel more like dungeons than actual levels, and I don't mean dungeon in the Zelda sense, but more like dungeons you find in many of those games like Oblivian or Swords and Serpants kind of deal, they are simplistic, but trickier to navigate, and a bit more repetitive than the actual levels featured in my quest. They serve as the final trial before fighting one of the 6 Guardians of the game. ---

Also, Souls 2 adds a minor RPG element to the gameplay, there is a significant focus on experience points in this game, but they take the form of rupees, and they are used to purchase upgrades at shops. Because this type of gameplay has been practiced before, and has never really been perfected without coming off as dull or awkward, I instead used the rupee and shop system to avoid this issue. Long story short, once you progress through the game, you'll find enemies are really generous with rupees, and that grinding to buy an 800 rupee sword is not such the tedious task as it would originally appear.

To sum it up:

- Every single item in the game can be leveled up to higher potentials.
- Every town has shops where you can see from the outside what you'll level up in these shops, so you don't have to go inside and check.
- A Sword shop for example will offer you a Lv2 Sword, Lv3 Sword, Lv4 Sword.
- All spells consume more magic at higher levels, the magic coin serves as the magic ring in my game, and is necessary when using your spells (items).
- Enemies are very generous on rupees, some much more generous than others. You'll find the Pirate Stalfos to be generous near the beginning.
- Everything about this leveling up system feels fun, you'll be always looking at your magic meter, but not in a way that it is distracting, but in a way that just feels right, a way that makes the magic meter feel useful.

I've played through this quest several times bug testing it and enjoyed the many different ways I can level up my gear, I can't find any possible way of making the leveling up system in my quest better. (even though that can be challenged).

So with all that said, I am currently figuring out a certain script that allows Link to jump using the L & R buttons, the moment I am able to accomplish that script to a satisfactory degree, I'll release the first available version of 5.5, with that I'll be continuing my personal play through in search for bugs and errors, while you as a fan can finally play this well invested beta.

Thanks for supporting Souls.

PS: I currently only have one confirmed bug tester, and that is Colossal, I had a few before, but times lead people to new directions, so therefore I am not entirely who for sure has the availability to be a beta tester, so if you're interested in being a beta tester, pm me in the message forum, and we'll talk.

#2 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

I'm sure that you have noticed it... but, Link's sprites clashes pretty bad with this tileset.

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Yes, I've noticed, but the Link's sprites was a personal preference overall. Though he may appear out of place at first, he is in my opinion the perfect choice. He is the same sprite used in Souls 1, so I wanted to leave the hero untouched, and therefore his sprite was transferred to this quest.

Also, he is very easy to adjust, though I may not have his sprites completely on par, I will have him more down path in future updates. He is an easy sprite to work with when I want to create my own custom sprites, and the sprite is also very very great to work with when building cut scenes.

Though this sprite may not be of your preference, and even if he may never become your preference, I am certain in my choice to use these Link sprites in my quest.

It is a detail I am certain that not only will it be overlooked, but will be eventually agreed upon to be the best pick for this quest.

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

I just watched all your new screens you uploaded. Seriously, how big is this quest?! This quest is not just big.., the gameplay you described there is also great! I am sure that this is going to be a great hit! But I actually think that you should release it only when its completely finished. I don't really like betas.

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

I understand your point of view, but the point of releasing betas is that it's your choice as a player if you want to play it or not, some may want to wait to play this quest when it is finished, others may want to get their hands on it first.

Only by releasing betas can I get decent amount of beta testing which is needed to improve the quality of the final product, that is why I believe beta releases are important, it is much easier to let beta testers just download and play the game than to run around and try to persuade their interests.

I hope that explains things.

#6 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Oh I understand. I'll wait for the final release then and not download it now.
Should I try out the first Souls of Wisdom? I heard lots of people say how great that quest is!

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'd recommend waiting until I can get the most up to date copy. It's currently on my old computer that the power supply box failed on it. I would need to get that part replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users