AM2R

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

If only this had been developed for the 3DS indie library, you could have had an arrangement where you buy Metroid II on Virtual Console and get AM2R free or at a reduced cost

#47 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:38 AM

v1.4 is now available (not maintained by the original developer):

Upgrade Patch (v1.1 to v1.4): https://www.reddit.c...elease/e0ibqvq/

Full v1.4: https://www.reddit.c...elease/e0ibqvq/

It won't overwrite your old save game files.

It is best to start a new game due to there being some changes to the file format.

Includes a new Fusion mode.

Includes a Randomizer mode (may need to complete the game to unlock this).

Various minor/moderate changes throughout the game. Nothing drastic.

Also, there is a modifiers.ini file which contains a butt load of game settings you can change. Back the file up before changing it (the game doesn't have a way to restore defaults to the file iirc)

Enjoy.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 17 June 2018 - 12:58 AM.

• ShadowTiger and Anthus like this

#48 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for sharing, I'm downloading it now.

I'm excited to try out the randomized mode, as well as make some suit palettes, and stuff. 

#49 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

Oi ~ Hai everyone's  

I recently changed some music actually for this just a few songs not all.*  The beginning i added the 3Ds .ogg music etc.

http://www.mediafire... Samus PC.zip  

Try it outs.* ^^

• Anthus, Jared and Deedee like this

#50 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:42 PM

I fixed up the download link for v1.4 to a post that explains how to get a complete copy of v1.4 instead of an upgrade package. If you missed the download link:

Upgrade Patch (v1.1 to v1.4): https://www.reddit.c...elease/e0ibqvq/

Full v1.4: https://www.reddit.c...elease/e0ibqvq/

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 17 June 2018 - 12:53 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#51 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:14 AM

Nearly two years after this game released, I sat down and finally played through this. 1.1, for the record, preferred to play the last of the original creator's vision, and I have no interest in the extra modes; especially when the Randomizer's locked behind a very arbitrary requirement anyway.

But more importantly the game itself. It's... incredibly well-made, old news by this point. On a very small number of occasions the unique pixel art doesn't do it for me, but most of it's well-drawn and fitting in the Metroid style. And certainly far better than anything I could do either way. For the most part it's an incredibly faithful remake... which can be its undoing on two minor points. The first, I wasn't a big fan of having to return to the main shaft in Metroid 2 to continue progressing, and that's something that returns here. The second, what also return are a handful of empty passageways with not a single obstacle or platforming challenge to overcome to get through, albeit these are mostly near the end of the game. Could argue it's done for atmosphere but it feels less that, more "pad the gameplay" to me. And that's more Metroid 2's fault than AM2R's.

And on a more personal preference note, while the remixes and compositions are pretty good, very few of them seem to hit that right feeling of "Metroid music" to me, and instead feel more like "excellent Metroid fan remix." It's a bit unfair admittedly, because Kenji Yamamoto is legendary and a high bar to reach.

One final "negative" point real quick in the bonus area... I wasn't a big fan of the "Genesis" that they came up with. Since we know it'll never get expanded upon, it really does just come off as a random fanfiction element and the design isn't that interesting. Granted, having it house a Metroid or an X-parasite might not make sense, though you still probably could have put lore there as well as goodies to find and made it interesting. So seeing as it's been over a decade since I played Fusion I forgot the Genesis came from that game. Instead my opinion changes from "This is random and silly" to "well-played, dev."

But apart from that it's a very fun experience overall. The area design is definitely superior to the original and navigation isn't as much as a chore. And the map feature alone goes miles towards making the experience smoother but I digress. Control is smooth, though carries a few quirks from other Metroid games that can trip me up still; namely forgetting you left a special item like a missile or power bomb are and accidentally wasting them. Atmospherically very well done, and I do like the logbook feature. I don't agree with all of the portrayals of lore in the game but it was still a nice touch.

Bosses are a bit of a mixed bag. The Alpha and Gamma Metroids... don't like them at all. They're a bit unfun because it's so difficult to get a good shot in and led to a lot of "spray and pray" for me, especially earlier when I had fewer missiles and health. I'm also not too fond of the Torizo fight, not because it's a bad fight, but because the flying phase just looks silly. The rest are pretty good though, and the Zeta and Omega Metroids are quite enjoyable especially. Although the one drone boss in the tower did annoy me because I'm not generally a fan of the overuse of bullet hell mechanics outside of bullet hell video games. The Queen though, that was pretty solid.

Ultimately I walked away satisfied at 81% item completion. I may go back to it at some point to get 100% but I honestly don't feel that compelled to, and not least of all because I was getting bad flashbacks to Zero Mission's puzzle-solving for upgrades. I think the game itself is a fantastic effort, but I don't hold it in as high regard compared to the canon series as the rest of you. That little disconnect of knowing it's not a canon game doesn't help either, so it leaves me uninterested in its spin on or additions to the lore.

I'm not going to compare this game to Samus Returns, and there's a simple reason why: These games are completely different takes on Metroid 2. As I said above, AM2R is incredibly faithful to the original game, to my surprise. Samus Returns, while certainly adapting the overall scheme, some hints of level design, and encounters, decided to completely overhaul the experience instead. I mean I could compare boss design I guess, but that's about it. Both are perfectly acceptable, well-crafted, enjoyable experiences that we should just be glad to have both.

• Anthus and SkyLizardGirl like this

#52 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:18 AM

I told you to stream it blind  :(

#53 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:23 AM

Streaming it blind would've meant I'd never get it done with my streaming motivation for anything that isn't Randomizer. It's the sole reason I haven't completed Axiom Verge yet and I'm not letting that happen again. >.> <.<

#54 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:00 AM

Well, parts of the game were planned to get more fleshed out but the C&D put the kibosh on that. I haven't fully played through versions since v1.1 but they've been fleshing out the game here and there with most updates and further improving the art. There's a Save Game editor but it's UI isn't very intuitive, it can be used to more quickly unlock the Randomizer and Fusion mode.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 16 June 2018 - 02:01 AM.

#55 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

When I downloaded 1.4, I had no saves, and was able to start a new game and pick the randomizer right away. What's this about unlocking it?

#56 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

Anthus, could you by any chance upload your save? When I downloaded 1.4, I only had the option for a normal game, and was told that Randomizer and Fusion modes were locked behind speed run and 100%.

#57 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:03 PM

Anthus, could you by any chance upload your save? When I downloaded 1.4, I only had the option for a normal game, and was told that Randomizer and Fusion modes were locked behind speed run and 100%.

I'm gonna post this here too, in case anyone else was wondering.

Save file <- No. See my post below.

Here's my file select screen too. And no I did not beat the game in 49 minutes, with 14% completion, and 47 Metroids remaining, that's crazy talk. :P

5QGrLUi.png

It did occur to me though, that I have cleared the game with 1.1. I used the patch in Nicholas' first post about 1.4. I was thinking though, since I patched the game, maybe it carried over the "he beat it" flag from 1.1 for some reason. Still, it's weird that my older saves are gone. But, if I open my older 1.1 AM2R, my three old files are still there. I copied the 1.1 folder to back it up. Then patched my original version. Upon starting, any of the three blank files let me pick ng+, or randomizer. 

EDIT: If the above is true, that might be a nice little exploit to get around unlocking them. If, I mean, it is somehow reading the data from the initial 1.1 in my 1.4 that says I beat it. This particular game exe is the 1.1 game that I patched, which I had cleared.

#58 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:05 PM

The 3DS First map Music i added sounds/works nice with the overall feel first area of the game.  I also used the sound effect for the second area closer to the gameboy game actual area using the 3DS version theme.  To have that mysterious space beeping in the background as You're on your way to get your first upgrades, is simply priceless" and cant be lost by any fan remix.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 16 June 2018 - 08:06 PM.

• Deedee likes this

#59 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:50 PM

I think Russ and I figured it out. If you want to do randomizer, or NG+ without beating the game again, follow these steps:

1. Go to C:/User/(your name)/AppData/Local/AM2R/ folder. Copy, and zip/ back up your old saves, if you care about them.
  2. If you have finished AM2R 1.1 before, and patched that same .exe, stop here, and you should be able to pick NG+/ Rando from any of the empty saves. That's how it worked for me, and yeah it's weird as hell.
  3. If not, download my saves here, and place these into the directory in Step 1, replacing yours. I think only "sav1" is needed, but use them all just in case.
  4. You might also need the 1.1 version I patched with the 1.4 zip linked by Nic above. Try it first using only the saves above in this post, and your own version 1.4, and if it doesn't work, grab my 1.4 here, and try it.

It seems like no matter which, or, how many versions you have, there is only one AM2R folder in your /AppData/Local folder. This is where your game saves are kept. The older version's saves are "sav#" while 1.4 is "save#". I am not sure why, or how this works, but it seems that when I patched my 1.1 file, it still read the saves in my AppData/Local folder from my old 1.1 playthrough, and thought I had beat the game (thus unlocking these modes). With that said, don't try this unless you know what you are doing.

I sure don't.

#60 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:56 AM

Yeah the full package I linked to is I believe a completely clean, never before played, copy. Thanks for sharing your save files.

v1.4 stores Save Files in a new location (or with a new file name syntax) so older save games aren't overwritten.

Also, there is a modifiers.ini file which contains a butt load of game settings you can change via Notepad or whatever. Back the file up before changing it (the game doesn't have a way to restore defaults to the file iirc)

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 17 June 2018 - 01:01 AM.

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users