Photo

The Megaman Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

I know there are a few of us Megaman fans on the site, so I figured why not make a topic for us Megafans (kill me) to gather and discuss the series now and again? Especially those of us who don't want to search for a good Megaman forum and just want to chill with fellow Megaman fans here on this site.

... I really have no idea for a good opener for this thread, so uh, have at it, or something.

#2 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

My experience with Megaman is limited to the six made for NES, and a few fan games, one of which I am testing and is currently in development.  I have always loved the series as a whole, and while there are plenty of criticisms of some of those games, the series in general certainly brought new ideas to the action game genre.  Even Megaman 1, which has a reputation for being very difficult, and to this day I can't beat without the aid of cheats or save states, certainly set new standards.  It had the unique feature of being able to select the order of your stages, through the first half of the game.  This came at a time when most games similar to it tended to be linear from beginning to end (play stage 1, then stage 2, then stage 3, etc.).  It forced the player to make decisions very early on as to what to tackle first, second, etc.  Without that style of action gaming, you automatically can't have certain conversations about the game, such as "Who do you choose to fight first?", and "Who is easier to tackle with the mega buster, and who is easiest to tackle with the best weapon against them?"  Some of the games that followed addressed certain criticisms, while some took longer to get there, but overall, most of the games for the NES seemed to address certain means to help improve the series.

• Astromeow likes this

#3 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

Okay. Controversial opinions time.

I love the classic series way more than any of the X games. The first Mega Man X is a fine game, but I had trouble getting into any of the others (although I've played and beaten up through 3). The bosses in the later X-games seemed a little too silly, and not in a self-referencing humor kind of way, either. "Overdrive Ostrich?" Really?

I adore the classic series for its simple game play, and clever course layouts. Between the insta-death spikes, pits and other things, I always found classic Mega Man to require greater precision over its more battle-focused sequel series, and that appeals far more to me. I have a special place in my heart for Mega Man 4, as it was my first introduction to Mega Man. I remember watching a friend play, and a boss battle being really close, and then there was that explosion like when Mega Man dies so I thought he lost ... but it was the boss who exploded! CRAZY EXCITED LITTLE AEVIN!!!!!

And now, time to lose all credibility: I loved Mega Man 7.

• Air Luigi, Russ and Evan20000 like this

#4 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

I like Megaman 2, 9 and X1. The rest of the series are pure filler =P Though, the classic series are fun games overall. Sequels of X, Zero and the rest of $$$$ games can die in a hole. Capcom never respected Megaman too much xD I'm more a Konami man, I think...

Edited by Air Luigi, 07 September 2014 - 10:50 PM.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:07 PM

Of the classic series, I enjoy 1, 3, 4, 6, 9, and 10. Megaman & Bass was okay, same with 7, 8 was eh, and I don't have much appreciation for 2 or 5. As for the X series, I played the first two and they were alright, meant to play past but just kinda forgot to. Otherwise those are the only Megaman games I've played. I side with Aevin though, I much prefer the classic series over the X series. The X series is okay, but just doesn't have the same charm as the classic series in my opinion.

As for 9 and 10, I had a thought recently. They were only released on Wii, PlayStation Network, and Xbox Live Arcade (and 9 on mobile). I'd really like to see them rereleased for the 3DS and Wii U eShops. Hell, they could have an option like in Shovel Knight where the abilities and E-Tanks could be on the bottom screen so you can quick swap them without pausing, that'd be cool. They really need to bring those to the current consoles. :(

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

Okay. Controversial opinions time.

I love the classic series way more than any of the X games. The first Mega Man X is a fine game, but I had trouble getting into any of the others (although I've played and beaten up through 3). The bosses in the later X-games seemed a little too silly, and not in a self-referencing humor kind of way, either. "Overdrive Ostrich?" Really?

This is supposed to be a controversial opinion?

It's been a while since I've played some of them, but I love the classic Megaman games, aside from 2 (which has nothing but pure hatred from me). Like I said, it's been a while since I played most, but if I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with 10. I can't say I care for any of the games outside the classic series that much, though.

#7 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:57 AM

I somehow got the impression that everyone but me was crazy for the X series.

Hmm ... Favorites. I'm a fan of Mega Man and Bass, 9 and 3. And Gameboy MM5.  Three was designed great, had great music, and I love that it seemed to give a bit more than you were expecting after beating the 8 main stages. Nine was an awesome revival. I've gushed about MM5 in other threads, but I loved that it had brand new robot masters and admired the way it designed its levels to fit on the GB.

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:00 AM

Favorites as of now are probably 3, 4, and 6. I'm working on playing most of them through again, there's supposed to be an eShop sale next week for Megaman games, hopefully I can pull 1, 2, and 5 off of there if they're all on sale; I already bought 3, 4, and 6. Again hoping that 9 and 10 get rereleases in the near-future, otherwise I could just emulate them again.

I'd bet that 7 will get released on the Virtual Console for Wii U soon, same with Megaman & Bass. Megaman 8... well that's a bit of a mystery right now. Not that it's that good a game anyway. :heh:

EDIT: Oh hey, 7's already out on Japanese VC, about a month ago. Shouldn't be too long before we get it as well.

#9 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

I've only played Megaman X1, X2 and X3. That's it. No Zero, no classic, nothing. Feel free to murder me right now :D

But seriously, from those 3 games I played, I'd say Megaman is pretty cool. Eventually I'm going to play through the classic games and maybe the Zero games just to see what they're like. So far though, my opinions on Megaman are positive. Also, Spark Mandrill's stage man, DAT MUSIC. I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD >_<

• The Satellite likes this

#10 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:57 AM

I've played Megaman 3, X, X2, X3, X7 and X8. Aside from X7, they are all great games <3

#11 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

My first Mega Man games were the Battle Network series, which became one of my favorites. After that, I played Mega Man and Bass as my first "Classic-style" Mega Man game. I've played the first two X games, the Star Force series, and the Classic series up until the one on Super NES. (I forget which one.)

I'd have to say that my favorite classic games would have to be MM2 and 3. I just wish there was a Wily Wars-esque version without the slowdown, worse music, and physics difference, because other than that, I loved the idea of remaking the games with more detailed graphics.

#12 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

I agree, kurt. I loved the idea of the Wily Wars, but there were just too many oddities for it to really be enjoyable. Speaking of remakes ...

I want to make one thing very clear to everyone. If there were an awesome fan-made 8-bit remake of Mega Man 7 somewhere out there, I would not encourage you to search for it. :whistle:

In all seriousness, I like it better than the actual Mega Man 7. It's not a rom hack; he programmed it himself, so it's in the same sort of gray area as Zelda Classic. He did a Mega Man 8 one, too, but I personally had less fun with that one, probably because ... well ... Mega Man 8. They're also in Japanese, so you'll likely miss out on the extremely immersive Mega Man story.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

I should try that fan demake someday. I'm probably gonna give the original game another shot first before I do though.

Also, Spark Mandrill's stage man, DAT MUSIC. I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD >_<

It's a great stage theme and I enjoy it as well. You should definitely give the classic series a shot though, ASAP. If you'd rather not start from the beginning and want a more accessible experience, start with 3 to ease you into them. 1 is a good game, just brutal, and 2 is not the masterpiece people claim it is.

• Eddy likes this

#14 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

It's a great stage theme and I enjoy it as well. You should definitely give the classic series a shot though, ASAP. If you'd rather not start from the beginning and want a more accessible experience, start with 3 to ease you into them. 1 is a good game, just brutal, and 2 is not the masterpiece people claim it is.

Thanks for the suggestions. I usually like to play game series in order, so I'll be starting from 1 :P

I might start playing the classic series pretty soon.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

The most brutal part of 1? In the later games, if you get knocked into spikes by enemies, you have some grace period to get out during invincibility frames; for that matter, speedrunners abuse this to slide across spikes to save time. 1 does not have this; if you get knocked into spikes by an enemy, you're screwed. Also do not forget to find the Magnet Beam powerup in Elec Man's stage, or you're gonna hate yourself when you get to the first Wily castle stage. Other than that, good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users