Nintendo Labo

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

To be fair, they do have to make it theirself before they sell it, or else it would be false advertising~

Edited by Koh, 19 January 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

As far as I'm aware, it comes with the software that the cardboard is meant to interact with, so it costing that much makes sense to me. Otherwise, I'd agree, far too expensive.

#18 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:05 AM

The trailer gives the impression the games aren't as deep as standard games, so I'd expect the software to be lower priced. Don't really have enough info yet to be sure.

#19 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

The trailer gives the impression the games aren't as deep as standard games, so I'd expect the software to be lower priced. Don't really have enough info yet to be sure.

I bet one of the first few games is a sequel to 1-2 Switch.

But, perhaps later on, they could make another big title.

I also imagine a WarioWare title could work on Nintendo Labo

#20 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

Honestly, while I'm not particularly excited for this, I think there's a couple things to keep in mind:

- $60 USD is the average price for a new Switch game, so the $70-$80 price tag merely means it's above the average price.

- It's not just cardboard, the Lab-o seems to be a minigame compilation of sorts based on the trailer.

The only thing I have issue is that I think it's a tad overpriced, and not because it's cardboard. It's because it seems to be another 1-2 Switch situation where it's another overpriced minigame collection.

I feel like a lot of people are just blatantly ignoring the fact that there's actual game here and going "It's just carboard reeeeee". I haven't really noticed it with this thread, but I figure I'd give my two cents anyways since I haven't really seen anybody bring up these points outside this thread really.

EDIT:

This is what I think of when I see the Lab-o

• Shane likes this

#21 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

What are some of the most iconic items from games that could use this?

Luigi's Poltergust?

3D printing will probably do some nice-looking stuff, but you'd sacrifice the building part.

#22 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

You could always 3D print the parts and put them together...?

Nothing's too much work if you want to avoid paying money!

Reading up a little more (though still a very cursory scan of google and the top results) it does look like Nintendo Labo is just one game. If that's the case, I've lost most of my excitement.

While putting together cardboard 'game controllers' would be fun, all of that for one game would feel a little pointless. Granted, this is the Nintendo Switch - it could very well be a massive game (though still in essence a minigame collection).

Comparing to the Wii Motion Plus that I brought up earlier, that was useful for a variety of games - the two that come to mind being Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort. The Wii Balance Board had both Wii Fits, a Super Monkey Ball, and others. It would be a shame if Nintendo Labo's cardboard turned out to be for just one.

Although, any third-party games released for it would probably also have to design new items for the cardboard, which could turn them off from it like the Wii U did.

Anyway, I'm speculating.

Also, I know it's not technically cardboard, but that's easy to remember.

#23 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

I wonder how Gamestop will deal with selling used copies of this. De-assembly required? :blink:

#24 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

I sincerely hope Gamestop is not in business by April 20th

#25 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:20 AM

Today's the day