Key Items

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

What's the best way to do key items (trinkets NPCs want to let you pass) in a no-script quest?

I like scripts, but I want to do something simple and default-ZC-friendly for a change.

Some of the options I've considered:

1) Bait.

-You could just have a set amount of bait available in the game, but then this would only work in a strictly linear quest.

-You can make different classes/levels of bait, but I don't think bait NPCs can tell the difference between them.

-For less linearity, you could have the bait NPCs behind item gates, but how would you prevent Link from picking up more than one bait and breaking the game? You can't make a bait counter, can you?

2) Level specific keys. Problem here is you're potentially using a whole lot of maps just for key items.

• Lightwulf likes this

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

What's the best way to do key items (trinkets NPCs want to let you pass) in a no-script quest?
I like scripts, but I want to do something simple and default-ZC-friendly for a change.

Some of the options I've considered:

1) Bait.
-You could just have a set amount of bait available in the game, but then this would only work in a strictly linear quest.
-You can make different classes/levels of bait, but I don't think bait NPCs can tell the difference between them.
-For less linearity, you could have the bait NPCs behind item gates, but how would you prevent Link from picking up more than one bait and breaking the game? You can't make a bait counter, can you?

2) Level specific keys. Problem here is you're potentially using a whole lot of maps just for key items.

Level keys, ir nothing. Bait as a key has always been a terrible idea.

Multiple levels if bait are only useful to either allow carrying more than one bait item at a time (remove the highest level on use), or to change the item graphics mid-game (meat L1, fish L2, bottle of whiskey L3).

The original Z1 bait room existed to give the bait an 'extra purpose'. The Japanese text in it also made much more sense, roughly meaning 'hungry stomach sounds'.

If only Wizzrobes responded to bait: Then, and only then, would it be exceptionally useful.
Bait rooms are silly in modern quests, as are MOYL rooms. (*They only make sense in NES quests.)
  • Lightwulf likes this

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the input, I am thinking of a mostly NES styled quest

Edited by Cukeman, 22 December 2017 - 05:56 PM.

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

If these are going to be items obtained, and given to NPCs through dialogue, you could just use string control codes. You can make it so, if Link has an item, a different string will play. Strings can also give, and remove items from Link's inventory with no scripts needed. You'll just need to make the items as normal.

String Control Codes.

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:42 AM

If these are going to be items obtained, and given to NPCs through dialogue, you could just use string control codes. You can make it so, if Link has an item, a different string will play. Strings can also give, and remove items from Link's inventory with no scripts needed. You'll just need to make the items as normal.

String Control Codes.

Thank you, I am familiar with all that, as I used that heavily in my incomplete quest (Zelda III: The Return of Link).

While it would work in some cases, taking items away via string control codes won't move an NPC out of the way unfortunately (or remove a barrier they are standing next to).

And on a lesser note, it becomes a little bit clunky when you're not using NPC scripts to talk to characters, and when you're trying to mimic Z1 dialogue where a character only gets one string box.

Edited by Cukeman, 25 December 2017 - 12:19 AM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#6 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:11 PM

While it would work in some cases, taking items away via string control codes won't move an NPC out of the way unfortunately (or remove a barrier they are standing next to)

Wrong. Obderhode taught me a useful ZQuest trick capable of executing secrets with strings control codes without scripts. Here's the thing. Put a "Trigger" enemy in the room with the NPC, and set the screen to trigger secrets once enemies are dead. Once you have the item needed to proceed, using SCC, give Link silently the "Kill all enemies" item and it will trigger the screen's secrets.

Easy and unnoticeable. I thank him for sharing his knowledge. :D

• Cukeman, Lightwulf and coolgamer012345 like this

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:06 PM

Sounds great, will try it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users