Speedrun Contest: Antiquity

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

While I'm not up for actually modifying any quest rules, anyone is welcome to crack open the unpassworded quest to plot a course ahead of time. This one may be a bit longer than many prefer for a casual speed run, and I'll keep that in mind for the future, but I hope it will end up being manageable for this once.

#17 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Moderators

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

I don't think my video will be ready. I'm gonna be busy the next few days, and work Friday and Saturday. That's not to say I won't play this in the future, I got to level 4 and enjoyed it, but I don't think the speedrun contest is for me, atm. :(

Furthermore, I just started recording stuff, and need to learn how to edit it a little better between different recording sessions and whatnot. I'm going to be using what remaining free time I have to do that.

#18 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:24 PM

Sorry you won't be able to make it, but thanks for giving it a shot.

No reason you can't upload a video later and share it, be it here or in an LP thread or something. Have a good holiday!

• Anthus likes this

#19 Anthus

Anthus

• Forum Moderators

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

No reason you can't upload a video later and share it, be it here or in an LP thread or something. Have a good holiday!

Thanks, and I still plan to record playing it in the near future. I just finished recording myself playing SMB (All-Star version) as practice, and it went pretty smoothly (beat all levels in just under an hour woulda been less if not for 8-3's hammer bros). I'm uploading it now, and hope to continue Antiquity some tomorrow, but at a much more casual pace, if I have time that is. I'm not sure what's going on after work, but I know some family is coming in lol.

As for the contest idea as a whole, it might be better to pick smaller quests, but I'm willing to see what turns up. :)

#20 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

Only a few days left! As a reminder, the contest ends at 11:59PM Pacific on Saturday! If anyone's meaning to have a go and hasn't started yet, you've still got a couple days to make it happen! I'm sure I'm not the only one excited to watch any that come in.

On a different note ... I'm gonna be honest here. I'm not expecting much of a turnout on this. This has been an interesting experiment that's given me some good insight on how to make contests like these more accessible to your average member. (Most importantly, shorter events that can be completed in an hour or so). I've got some plans for future events which I think will be a lot more manageable for everyone, so thanks to you all for your encouragement and feedback. I hope you all won't be too disappointed if the turnout here isn't that big, or ... um ... existent. ;) In the end, if it manages to encourage a few people to try a quest they haven't before, then that makes me happy.

• Eddy likes this

#21 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:51 AM

So I had no idea the deadline was so soon and I ended up spending the week on university stuff rather than getting the speedrun done, so I dunno if I'll have the time to get the video done by tomorrow. And sorry for sounding kinda dumb here, but I assume you mean 11:59pm as 1 minute before midnight? If that's the case, then maybe I can get it done :P

#22 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

Yeah, it's one minute before midnight on Saturday. (Tomorrow). I just like to say the time that way instead of "midnight on Saturday" or something to avoid confusion by putting it at a time that's technically Sunday when I mean by the end of Saturday.

• Eddy likes this

#23 Anthus

Anthus

• Forum Moderators

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

Maybe we could do races of shorter games like the NES Marios, or some other game we've probably all played a million times :P

#24 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:53 PM

Currently I'm thinking about races to a certain specific point in quests, or boss challenges for damage/time, time-based collection challenges ... Stuff like that. Should be a lot more accessible.

• Anthus likes this

#25 Anthus

Anthus

• Forum Moderators

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

Hey, uh, whatever happened to this? Are there not enough entries?

#26 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

Nope, there weren't enough. Any, in fact. ;)

As I said above, on reflection I basically expected this outcome. But I know it's encouraged a few people to try the quest when they might not have otherwise, and has given a better perspective on how to successfully run events like this in the future. Expect some more accessible events in the near future.

• Anthus likes this

#27 Anthus

Anthus

• Forum Moderators

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

Hmm, what about a straight up Z1 race to start things off?

#28 Dimentio

Dimentio

Beware false Gollabs, who inwardly are Moral Conflicts

• Members

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:30 PM

Will that not ruin the point of getting people to try new quests?

...Anyways, I recall doing a Zeldawock race over a year ago, and I have to say that it's rather good for speedrunning, as there is a lot of opportunity to cut corners, and it can be completed in under an hour.

#29 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

That's a good idea. Zeldawock's one of my favorite quests, actually. Do you have any suggestions for quests with lots of collectible items? Maybe a very open-world quest where we could race to find the most equipment, or something else with lots of different stuff to find? (My own quest actually springs to mind here, but I wouldn't do that one for obvious reasons.)

• Dimentio likes this

#30 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:01 AM

I definitely like the idea of this kind of thing. But similar to how I didn't enter the Super Metroid Hundo tourney, this is the WORST time of the year, at least for me, to participate in something like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users