Photo

Screenshot of the Week 640

Avataro ywkls Dimentio TheRock Orithan Anthus Shoshon the Elegant

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 640 (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:32 PM

Seems we have quite the turnout this week! Thanks for the entries everyone!

ywkls
ywkls.png
Nayru wonders to herself what strange sort of place that she has stumbled upon now...

A nice day on the field.

Dimentio
Dimentio.gif
ZzZzZzZ...

TheRock
TheRock.png
What's that! Is this game getting fixed up?!?

Orithan
Orithan.png
Warning: Minecarts travel faster than you expect them to.

Anthus
Anthus.png
I can't perceive depth.

Shoshon the Elegant
Shoshon%20the%20Elegant.png
Perhaps this be the lair of Dionysus!

• Anthus likes this

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:38 PM

Apologies about the low quality of my image. I tried to use .gifv (higher quality), but Pure wouldn't embed it :(

• Anthus likes this

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:25 AM

I voted for Avataro's cute screenie. :)

• Avaro likes this

#4 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:27 AM

I'm gettin Vibes from Dimentio's. Voted. Also I like the low quality honestly : p 

• Deedee likes this

#5 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:59 AM

ywkls
Nice-looking screen, though I wonder if the room is trying to do too much. Five doorways is a lot and doesn't leave a lot of breathing room. Maybe it's fine as an entrance room without enemies to fight.

Simple and pleasant, but I'm not a big fan of the pink trees. I find them to clash with the green grass.

Dimentio
I really like the quiet simplicity here. The area gives me the feeling of being alone but at peace, like an introspective retreat. Yeah, the image quality could be better, but you already addressed that.

TheRock
Looks functional enough. The northeast part of the screen feels a little unloved, though.

Orithan
Nice detail. Feels claustrophobic, which I'd expect from a mine area.

Anthus
I think I'd have to see how this concept is executed before I can say much about the screen one way or the other.

Shoshon the Elegant
Good classic-ish screen. I think you could give the player some space to walk around without sacrificing the feel of the forest if you hollowed out a few of those trees. (The unbroken 4x6 block at the top-right is a good candidate.)

In the end, I'll vote for Dimentio. Lots of screens look good, but few give me an emotional response like his.
  • Anthus and Deedee like this

#6 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:03 AM

the first one.
  • ywkls likes this

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:32 AM

Didn't vote since I'm in this one.

Also, nice turnout this week!

Here's some thoughts on the others.

Avataro- Very bright and shiny. The unusual HUD tells me this would be interesting.

Dimentio- Nice animation, but not a lot going on that I can appreciate...

TheRock- Definitely captures that GameBoy feel. The screen is a bit bleak, though.

Orithan- I love this screen! And the fact you seem to have successfully implemented minecarts. My favorite of the bunch.

Anthus- Seems very bland and hard to tell the ground from the pits.

Shoshon the Elegant- In case it's not obvious; I'm not a particular fan of Zelda 1 style graphics. Nothing much to see here.

May the best screenshot win!

#8 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:57 AM

ywkls - I like this a lot, one of the nicest screens that I have seen from you so far. It has some labyrinth-flair. Though for playing such screens might get a bit tiresome for the eyes.

Avataro - I like the multiple colors including the pink a lot. It makes the tileset more interesting. Having said that, I am not too sure about the trees, the mountains and the mountain borders having all the same color. The Ninja is also a bit pale compared to the rest. Not sure if pale is the best word. The mountain-corner reaching into the water doesn't look to great, minor thing though.

Dimentio - a nice screen, is that green thing hair of a charakter sleeping on his face? The water getting white seems a bit extreme to me, though I assume you are limited with the tileset.

TheRock - nice but a bit empty.

Orithan - I'm sure this is a great screen for playing but as a screenshot it has too much black and is very cluttered around the ample light.

Anthus - didn't I play and enjoy this? It looks somewhat plain though to look at.

Shoshon - nice one. Not much to say here.
  • ywkls likes this

#9 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:22 AM

Dimentio - a nice screen, is that green thing hair of a charakter sleeping on his face? The water getting white seems a bit extreme to me, though I assume you are limited with the tileset.

Nope, it's a sleeping minimentus/baby aquamentus! :D

Also, blame the low quality gif for the white. It's sky blue in the final version... :(

Shoutouts to Avataro for pink trees + good looking screen design. Looking forward to playing the non-demo version :)

#10 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:42 AM

Dimentio! Rocks don't float. What Universe are you from? :P

Either way, it was a difficult choice for me between Shonshon, Orithan, and ywkls, but I ended up voting for ywkls. 

Orithan would have gotten my vote if he utilized more screen space. It's an alright screen for what it is, but not for SotW. 

• ywkls likes this

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

Wow that's quite the turnout this week. Pretty good shots overall

ywkls - Pretty neat shot here. Nothing too much to comment on, but the structure is quite nice. I like the different levels of elevation here.

Avataro - Very nice and clean, I definitely like this one a lot. You probably already know about how I don't like trees being vertically stacked like you did on the bottom-right, but that doesn't bother me too much here. Good job with this one, haven't really got any critiques for this.

Dimentio - Cool gif, but yeah like you said, quality is a bit bad. The screen looks nice though, and it seems to be leading into some kind of story sequence, so that's neat.

TheRock - Seems neat, though there it does look a bit plain IMO. Probably try to fill up the emptiness of the screen, by maybe adding tall grass in the plains area at the top, and probably add cacti or something in the desert area to the south. You could also try and alternate between grass tiles and ground tiles in the northern part, just to make things look less empty.

Orithan - Nice mines area here, I assume with that description we're gonna get mine carts going at Minish Cap speeds of fast :P But anyway, looking forward to seeing how this is going to function in-game.

Anthus - I can definitely see what you're going for here, but I think the depth could be worked on a bit more. Maybe try to make the lower darker layer a bit smaller, just so it looks like it's lower down. Other than that, interesting concept here.

Shoshon - Definitely agree with nicklegends about allowing a bit more space maybe around the dungeon entrance if possible, but it looks good anyway. I would try to fix up the dungeon entrance since it doesn't look right (probably need to fill up the transparent parts). I would also personally use a different kind of tree tile, unless it's intended that this is some kind of forest with cracked trees everywhere lol. Good work anyway though.

I voted for Avataro this week, but good job to all entrants.

• Shane and Avaro like this

#12 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

@Eddy: I think the cracked trees just look more leafy.

#13 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:45 PM

With 29.55% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 640 is Avataro!

A nice day on the field.

Congrats!!

Voting totals:
- ywkls - 10 votes [22.73%]
- Dimentio - 4 votes [9.09%]
- TheRock - 2 votes [4.55%]
- Orithan - 10 votes [22.73%]
- Anthus - 1 vote [2.27%]
- Shoshon the Elegant - 4 votes [9.09%]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Avataro, ywkls, Dimentio, TheRock, Orithan, Anthus, Shoshon the Elegant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users