Photo

Screenshot of the Week 53

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:56 PM

Snort: Your shot is an insult to all that Siezure Tower stands for. icon_razz.gif What, the edges flash? Come on! EVERYTHING flashes in my tower.

Well... Yours does look a little more pretty, but MINE has full coverage. So there. XP

And Petoe: I'm sure you saw shots that were way more bland than that. "Redefine blandness" was totally uncalled for. Heck, I'd bet in your old days, YOU made a shot as bland as that, when you were a newbie, making a quest that you never released. We've all done things like that. Me, even.

Believe me, that shot is going to come back, looking ten times better...

Edited by Stungun, 07 April 2004 - 10:04 PM.

#32 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(Stungun @ Apr 8 2004, 04:56 AM)
And Petoe: I'm sure you saw shots that were way more bland than that. "Redefine blandness" was totally uncalled for. Heck, I'd bet in your old days, YOU made a shot as bland as that, when you were a newbie, making a quest that you never released. We've all done things like that. Me, even.

Huh? I'm just being honest, that's all. If you're talking about the last shot, then yes, it is the blandest one I've ever seen. Why should anyone praise a shot that took 1 second to make? Sometimes you have to be rude to make people work harder.
And you're right, when I was a newbie I was a crappy quest designer, but I've never done anything as bland as that... uh, who cares.

I believe so and I hope so. There's only one direction to go, and that's up. icon_thumbsup.gif icon_wink.gif

#33 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 10:34 AM

masterlink3000 - *VOTES* I really, really like the tiles used here. I'm not sure what attacts me to this shot. It just.. uses some great palatte features. I really can't explain it.

skateboarder11 - It's empty, dude. Empty. I like the lava effects though.

PolygonX8 - Well, considering that I've seen it before, .. ... *stuff* .. But I KNOW how awesome a quest it is, I will hold this one close.

Jaivaz867 - Well... mixed feelings about this one. First of all, there's nothing to rip, so you didn't have to gloss it over like that. Secondly, there's not much happening other than in the upper right corner. THERE, is a nice area though.

codelinker8705 - I think I like this shot a lot, but I can't get over the fact that there aren't any "real canopies" in the area. IF.. you could put "Shadows" underneath the forest areas, THAT would create the illusion that they were above the dungeon, rather than just floating around it. Also, you would have to make the palatte much darker for it. So make a new palatte, copy the Green Dungeon Palatte into it, and make all the colors in Cset 2 DARKER.

Nick - The grass is impressive, I must say, along with the rock. Other than that, .. the shot is merely "great."

Snort - I've seen it already. Quite impressive. The walls are the greatest asset to this shot though. .. Perhaps the floors too.

Teilyr - I think it's quite the wonderful shot. Caves don't come 'round much better than that nowadays, with the possible exception of some of Nick's caves. I like the new floor borders. Quite spiffy, despite the lack of detail on them.

Hunter P. This could be cool, .. if it wasn't so.. newfirsty. Add some cool screen effects. .... But if you say that it was done in a hurry, then by all means, improve. icon_smile.gif

#34 blckscab

blckscab

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:41 AM

Nothing realy that amazing this time. But Nicks and MasterLinks are the best IMHO. But i have to vote for Nick

#35 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:41 PM

Codelinker: Nice shot, but they're getting a little old. Try showing something else.

Nick: not bad, but Maybe I'm just getting a little tired of looking at ZC shots?

Skateborder: a little too square?

Jaivaz and Hunter P.: A little too (is every too little?) bland.

Teilyer: nice pic... (what? did I say something wrong?)

Polygon X8: Nice Link, but the tiles are BS, not my personal favorite.

Snort:......*starts convulting*

Is there gonna be something original?

#36 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(SwordOfSeals @ Apr 8 2004, 12:41 PM)
Nick: not bad, but Maybe I'm just getting a little tired of looking at ZC shots?

Did you mean to say ZC shots? icon_odd.gif

#37 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Happyman @ Apr 8 2004, 01:37 PM)
Did you mean to say ZC shots? icon_odd.gif

Didn't He? icon_snide.gif icon_lol.gif

Well, hey, if "Non-Zelda" Quests are what sparks people's interests, then that's something else. Perhaps he would have liked to see MM: DWR rather than AoA. Who knows. icon_shrug.gif Everyone has different tastes and interesting.

#38 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Apr 8 2004, 01:42 PM)
Well, hey, if "Non-Zelda" Quests are what sparks people's interests, then that's something else.  Perhaps he would have liked to see MM: DWR rather than AoA.  Who knows. icon_shrug.gif  Everyone has different tastes and interesting.

MM:DWR was made with ZC too, you know. EVERYTHING in this is a ZC shot. That's why I wanted to know if he really meant to say that.

If he did mean it, he wouldn't like anything in SoTW. icon_razz.gif

#39 Fox

Fox

Will the Hero rise again?

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:12 PM

It's been a while since I've commented on pictures...

Masterlink: Though some say symmetry doesn't look good, it can look good if used right, and used sparingly. And this looks like it works pretty well. However, I don't really like the white color of the stones and bridges, or in the water(fall). If you can change the white in the water to light blue and the white in the stones and bridge to grey, I think the shot would look a lot better. White doesn't work very well in most shots (snow being an obvious exception).

Skateborder: The top of the walls looks really strange... it's bricks... The whole thing is a bit monotonous. Perhaps a little color variety would help. Right now, you have only tan and red. If you can get some tiles in there with different colors, the shot might look a bit better.

Polygon: BS... haven't seen that in a while. For the most part, this shot looks pretty good. However, I do have a few qualms. First, the screen seems boxed due to the rocks around the perimeter. Also, the bridges seem a bit odd, especially near the top right. Going across three bridges to get to your destination? It feels very forced, and only causes the player to take more wandering time to get to where he/she is going. And the right angle in the grass bothers me a bit.

Jaivas: Nice use of fairies for people, and the hearts look nice. You went a bit overboard on tree variety (two is probably more than enough), and the cliff and grass below - especially with the brown on the bottom and left sides of the screen - look like space-fillers. If you could add something besides bare cliff to the shot, I'm sure it would look nicer.

Codelinker: Looks good, for the most part. What bothers me (and this may just be me) is the grassy stuff (never know what it's called) that's on top of the ceilings. It just looks odd floating on top of the walls like that.

Nick: I like the grass. Can't really say anything bad about the picture, or anything you need to improve.

Snort: Umm... o_O I don't know if I can really comment on this one. I'm not really a fan of disco dungeons.

Tei: Like Nick's shot, I can't really find any faults here. I like the flames on your torches icon_razz.gif

Hunter: Variety is key. Having a screen full of water won't do you much good. Add more land, and get some variety in there. I can't help too much with specifics.

I ended up nulling my vote.

#40 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:12 PM

If you are tired of ZC shots, then why do you even visit this thing? All of it is ZC shots. If you meant Zelda tileset shots... the program is Zelda Classic.

I am honestly tired of these people expecting all people to make non Zelda quests with Zelda Classic. There is nothing wrong with having non Zelda quests, but just simply expecting everyone to make them is retarded.

Finally, why don't you just make something original yourself instead of once again expecting it to just happen like magic. icon_sweat.gif

Honestly... if you have no useful feedback, it doesn't need to be in this contest (as comments are supposed to be useful feedback in this forum... and useful feedback isn't to change tilesets like you suggested with every single shot this week).

#41 Matt

Matt

Come on!

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(Nick @ Apr 8 2004, 05:12 PM)

Sorry to sound rude... but you picked the wrong day to say that. I'm already pissed off enough as it is by rude people.

If you are tired of ZC shots, then why do you even visit this thing? All of it is ZC shots. If you meant Zelda tileset shots... the program is Zelda Classic.

I am honestly tired of these people expecting all people to make non Zelda quests with Zelda Classic. There is nothing wrong with having non Zelda quests, but just simply expecting everyone to make them is retarded.

Finally, why don't you just make something original yourself instead of once again expecting it to just happen like magic. icon_sweat.gif

Honestly... if you have no useful feedback, it doesn't need to be in this contest (as comments are supposed to be useful feedback in this forum... and useful feedback isn't to change tilesets like you suggested with every single shot this week).

Why do you speak out so strongly against SwordOfSeals for expressing his honest opinion? It's not even like he said he disliked your shot. He said, "not bad." Whether or not he's tired of "ZC shots" is his own issue. You're acting quite defensive for something that does not specifically pertain to you. His "Is there gonna be something original?" comment was concerning all of the shots. As for your bad day, I say this: you can't expect others to change their comments and/or opinions based on whatever may have gone wrong in your day. Especially since most of the time they aren't even aware of it.

As for the screenshots.. yeah, Zelda shots are getting kind of tired. icon_sleep.gif

I'll go with Nick's shot though. None of the others really appealed to me, and his seems the best laid out.

#42 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

We're Zelda Classic, Matt. Zelda screen shots are pretty much implied. However, from time to time, someome will create a quest that's not Zelda related in the slightest.

But, that is rare. So, for all you people that ***** about Zelda shots, remember the name of the program that you're using.

#43 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:45 PM

Polygon: BS... haven't seen that in a while. For the most part, this shot looks pretty good. However, I do have a few qualms. First, the screen seems boxed due to the rocks around the perimeter. Also, the bridges seem a bit odd, especially near the top right. Going across three bridges to get to your destination? It feels very forced, and only causes the player to take more wandering time to get to where he/she is going. And the right angle in the grass bothers me a bit.

I do agree with you when I look at it. Thing is, this is "Link's Nightmare" (I should mention it these days...). In a nightmare, anything could take any shape. Even though it forces the player to move around it may have been made that way for a reason (If you know what I mean). Sorry if I sounded mean, just pointing something out. If it is all that much of a BIG thing, I will cahnge it. As I'm planning to make LN better, since I decided not to make a DC of it.

I seem to have noticed that as well. icon_shrug.gif I do create Metroid quests, but I still create Zelda ones as well, even related (Darknut Wars for example). I dunno what is with some people these days. icon_shrug.gif That's what the program is mainly for, and creating different quests is just something else to do.

#44 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:50 PM

Hmm... So there ARE people who are really tired of Zelda shots and want to see something non-Zelda? Splendid.

And why do so many have a problem if someone wants to see originality here? Can't people have opinions? Should everyone be happy with Zelda shots and always vote Prince's shots when he submits one just because he's the best tile creator? Mmkay...
The program is called Zelda Classic so it means that almost every quest is a Zelda quest. Well it doesn't have to be that way. It's very easy to create a non-Zelda quest nowadays, so I see nothing wrong in it if someone wants to see non-Zelda shots more often. I think it's only human nature to get bored of something one sees every now and then.

#45 Aegis Runestone

Aegis Runestone

Cecil Harvey - Paladin

• Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:00 PM

I voted for Teilyr's because the custom map is absolutely awesome icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users