Photo

Screenshot of the Week 153

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 153 (80 member(s) have cast votes)

9 shots!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

Sorry I was late with this. Some people just needed to get off my back about it, and after they did, I decided to put it up. Enjoy!

Aribar
IPB Image
A screenshot for the first part of a quest I've been thinking of.

Anthus
IPB Image
Taken in ZC, ftw... Classic Catfish's Maw?

Revfan9
IPB Image
Oh noez! Axis! :O!

Sharon Daniel
IPB Image
Those mushrooms are hiding something from Link...

/M/
IPB Image
It Looks better in ZC...

NoeL
IPB Image
Link faces off against some giant... turd... thing... icon_confused2.gif

Moonwhisper
IPB Image
With such an autumn scenery, my heart just flutters in the wind ^_^

Nuvo
IPB Image
Don't let him get away! He killed boss.

Shoelace
IPB Image
The first screen shot of EotM.

#2 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:18 PM

9 entries... hoo boy... it's no wonder there are a lot of good shots, because this week we simply have sheer volume. I'll have to sit on this one. A lot of people are doing a good job, and the best screenshots have different strengths and weaknesses. icon_smile.gif

#3 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

I can't decide between Sharon's and Shoelace's. Sharon's is a very good one and I like the cave door, but Shoelace's has a new type of area. It's a flooded area. I'll decide later.

#4 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:39 PM

I love noel's mountains. icon_w00t.gif
*votes for noel*

#5 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

It's a hard choice this week. None of them are really dazzling, but nearly all of them aren't bad either

Aribar - Good design, but those mountains in the upper-right corner sort of ruins the rest of the shot. The player could use some work as well

Anthus - I love the colors, but the custom tiles really clash with the rest of the set

Revfan9 - Looks like the rest of the shots you've been submitting. The graphics are nice enough, but the screen isn't all that impressive. The tree at the bottom, at the very least, needs to be moved up by one tile

Sharon Daniel - It's good, but there are just too many oddities that make it look funny. The lack of shading around the waterfall opening, the backs of the mountains for starters. The cave is nice, though

/M/ - It's a nice setup, but the lack of color makes it look too bland. Like, everything dosen't have to be the exact same white/beige color

NoeL - Odd. From a gameplay standpoint, it's poorly designed. The mountains are nicely done, except the round cliffs halfway up. They are very, very off as far as perspective. The ground is also too soft and too repetitive

Moonwhisper - It's good, but the bright Link makes it look funny. It could also use some more stuff going on. More rocks on the dirt, some bushes, enemies, ect...

Nuvo - I like it, but Link is kind of hard to see. It's also way too brown, and could use some darker ourlines and brighter highlights

Shoelace - I love the detail in this shot, as well as the colors. Though, the trees in the water clash with the rest of the trees, and Link looks much too big for the screen

After all is said and done, I voted for Shoelace

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(Relic @ Jan 29 2007, 07:33 PM) View Post

Revfan9 - Looks like the rest of the shots you've been submitting. The graphics are nice enough, but the screen isn't all that impressive. The tree at the bottom, at the very least, needs to be moved up by one tile

That's kinda harsh. I voted for Revfan9's shot. It's a pretty shot, and I thought it was laid out well. Love the tileset.

#7 Aribar

Aribar

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

Ooh. Lots of screenshots this week. Well, time to get down to, ah, nitpicking!

Anthus: Very purpley! For a Classic screenshot it looks okay, and there are really only two areas of the shot that could use some improving I believe. In the upperlefthand corner the small swamp patch near the mountain looks a little odd, and now that I look at it the opposite corner's plant looks odd as well. I believe it is because the edges don't have a little bit of land framing them. Also, the Catfish Maw entrance... Ah, it isn't the best in the world... I'm pretty sure I saw a loose tile set that had that entrance. The one in the shot doesn't exactly... Blend in with the rest of the screen.

Revfan9: This is a neat screen shot. Those, ah... Evil rabbitmen look tough. It's a beautiful shot and I think there are only a few faults to it. The first is that the treasure chest looks a little odd.. I think there might be a little too much gold on the bottom of it. Hrm... It does remind me of the Mana games' chests, however! The trees' trunks also look a bit odd. I think the coloring is a bit too dark. I think a warmer colored tree would work better in such a location.

Sharon Daniel: Is that the Deku tree symbol I see on that door? Overall this is a very beautiful shot. I don't think I can find a complaint for it. The border around the map and the wooden sword both look nice as well. This was the shot that got my vote.

/M/: Hrm... I hope I can agree with the comment. Without the snow being animated it looks like an overly white screen. Also, the grass patch extending over the path looks a little odd.. And all of the little grassy elements sticking up out of the snow. Still, the layout as well as the subscreen looks nice!

NoeL: This shot has an intersting art style. The walls of the wasteland certainly stand out against the floors. I don't think I want to know what's trying to kill Link, but it looks mad. The subscreen looks nice, although the sword looks bent for some reason. Also, Link looks a little odd... I think it is because his sword is included in the sprite. I don't remember seeing any screenshots with other characters from this tileset, but just in this shot Link stands out in a bit of a bad way.. I think.

Moonwhisper: This is a nice screenshot. The map's text looks nice, as do the items. I think the heart and magic meters should be brown like the other items instead of yellow, however. The trees look a bit odd growing on the road, as well as not really having autumn colors. Still, it's a pretty shot.

Nuvo: I definately wouldn't want to be Link... SIX armored knights nigh-surrounding me? Eep. It's a beautiful shot, and I really like the subscreen. I also like the sky in the background. I think my only complaint would be that in this shot Link looks a little too dark color wise.

Shoelace: Now this is a nice swampy shot! It reminds me of Majora's Mask's swamps. . I dread what Link'll find in that stump. The trees look a bit odd with the blue leaves, but it could grow on me I believe. The planks at the bottom of the screen and the bird look a bit odd... Flat I believe... Compared to the rest of the screen.

Aribar: You're a terrible hack that should never touch Zelda Classic again. . . Jokes aside, I suppose for just using the Pure tiles this shot isn't too terrible... It was supposed to be the entrance to a ruined sort of temple town that would be a Forest Temple of sorts. A sort of custom Link sprite as well! 'course, that's hidden by the trees' shade... Hrm. I'm not really happy with the subscreen, but I just did a quick job with it. The B item is supposed to be three little flames, but I'm not sure how well I achieved that goal. The map was an attempt to mimic the style evident in Shoelace's Hero of Dreams. . . I sort of think my creation of a minimap is too shameful to even mention beside such a good quest. Ah well. I entered this shot to contribute what little I could to the community since I doubt I'll ever crank out a quest or even a single tile...

#8 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 29 2007, 04:45 PM) View Post

That's kinda harsh. I voted for Revfan9's shot. It's a pretty shot, and I thought it was laid out well. Love the tileset.

Harsh? Hardly. Unwalkable tiles should always be placed at least two tiles away from the edge of the screen, it's a general rule. It's a pain having to walk around an object as soon as you enter the screen, and I believe most 2D Zelda games use this as well. That's what I was talking about when I said it wasn't impressive. Maybe I should reword that and say it's a poor design

#9 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

Abir- Love the use of grey house tiles, but the crappy brown walls on the top right part of the screen ruin the shot.

Atus - Nice layout, nice pallete, but graphic are less than stunning. I coudl see this bieng SoTW material if the grahpic were upgraded.

Rev- Yet another pretty shot with miserable layout.

Shar- Standard Pure shot.

/M/- Snow shot. Yipie kiyay.

Noel- Unique, simplistic, sexy, and nice. The only thing I would fix would be to make the ground a bit more diverse. Other than that, you sir get my vote. Pat youself on the back and such.

Moon- A screen composed of my most hated Pure tiles. Kudos.

Nuvo- It looks... dirty. If you could possibly clean up the graphic and make them look a bit more 3 dimensional. Nifty subscreen though.

Shoe- The big Link ruins the picture for me as it feels like the rest of the grahpic are to small in comparison. The blue tree leafs seem to get lost in the water, which I do love. This would easily get my vote, but Noel wins int he creativity deparment. On a different note, sorry I couldent help you with EtoM as much as I had hoped.

#10 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:06 PM

Shoelace: Now this is a nice swampy shot! It reminds me of Majora's Mask's swamps. . I dread what Link'll find in that stump. The trees look a bit odd with the blue leaves, but it could grow on me I believe. The planks at the bottom of the screen and the bird look a bit odd... Flat I believe... Compared to the rest of the screen.

I said the same thing to Shoelace when he showed me this shot in chat. But he explained to me that there is a very good reason why the trees have leaves of that color. I'll say no more though; I don't want to spoil anything in the quest. icon_rolleyes.gif

Shar- Standard Pure shot.

icon_aggravated.gif

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE(Relic @ Jan 29 2007, 08:04 PM) View Post

Harsh? Hardly. Unwalkable tiles should always be placed at least two tiles away from the edge of the screen, it's a general rule. It's a pain having to walk around an object as soon as you enter the screen, and I believe most 2D Zelda games use this as well. That's what I was talking about when I said it wasn't impressive. Maybe I should reword that and say it's a poor design

Oh, well, I see what you mean. But moving it up one wouldn't change much in the shot, so I'm leaving my vote there. I never had a problem walking around those kinds of tiles, but that's just me.

#12 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

Yeah there is a reason the leaves are blue, I will say nothing more. And, yes I will look into the bird being flat. About the big link he is 16x20 (4 added pixels). I will look into fixing the size things if it brothers people. I think the only thing that looks weird is the tree house size compared to him. I will look into finding a bigger sized one too.

About the area: It isn't called Sexy Beast it is a place holder until I find a name for the area that fits the storyline. icon_razz.gif But this is a very important part of the game.

Also, wow, 9 shots! The thing is, not one of them is bad. O_O

#13 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

*Steps out of his retirement home*
Votes for the Shoelace.
*Thinks he's a shoe in*
*Goes back into retirement home*

#14 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

Nulled because I entered, though my favourite is /M/'s. Out of the few winter towns I've seen, this is one of the better ones. That said, however, it would look better if there was actually snow on the ground and rooftop, rather than just the palette being painted white.

As for those who commented on mine being crappy, I totally agree. I did that just before SOTW was due to be up... didn't think it'd be another week before I saw it...

QUOTE(Hero Link)
Sorry I was late with this. Some people just needed to get off my back about it, and after they did, I decided to put it up. Enjoy!
That's an incredibly irresponsible thing to do, and I'm not impressed in the least. When you took the job of managing SOTW you took on the responsibility of getting the competition up on time. For reasons unknown you weren't able to post it on time, but delaying it further because people were "on your back" will only make people angrier. Being director of SOTW isn't your right, it's your job. You're providing a service to the PZC community and I for one expect it to be done right. If you don't like doing it, then give the job to someone else.

#15 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

I say shoelace has the best shot here. The transparent water is great. The bigger Link is not to shabby either.
Noel had a good shot too. Those mountains look like a pain in the butt to use though, but in the end they look great.
I think all the shots are good this week. Even the pure shots look good.
Anyway, about my shot. I submitted my shot to see what people thought of my gemmed subscreen, and the clouds in the background. Those are my only real highlights in the shot.
Also I wanted to give an idea of what kind of dungeons you can make with my tiles. Multifloors, with outside areas. Etc.

Edited by Nuvo, 29 January 2007 - 09:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users