Photo

Screenshot of the Week 333 ~ The Moon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (61 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

If Pabru wins this week, he will break the record for most consecutive wins in SotW. icon_smile.gif

#17 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

Voted Pabru, because he just gave me some wonderful inspiration. icon_biggrin.gif

#18 Pabru

Pabru

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Oh, and cough, gravity rides everything.

#19 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

William - A-
Classic, yet unique. You did well again.

Orin XD - B
Not too shabby. I think it could be better, but I am not sure how.

aaa2 - C-
Better than before, but there is still more room for improvement. Again, I find that orange to be too bright and due to how much of it there is, it's too overwhelming to the eyes. Lots of straight lines make the natural elements of the screen feel pretty artificial. Also, the screen feels like it has almost no transitional relation to the screens adjacent to it, which you can tell even when you can't see the adjacent screens. Keep looking for inspiration from others of your choice.

King Harkinian - B+
Looks like a fun one to go through, although not the most unique screen out there.

The design is decent for a limited classic set, but I'm not seeing any creative element in this one, besides a couple of custom sprites.

Jared - B+
A nice looking winter screen. Nice to see another one again.

Fire Wizzrobe - B+
I like it. I've seen better GB screens no doubt, but it's still pretty good.

Pabru - A-
Generally a very nice screen. Great design for the most part, and almost everything seems to fit together. For a screen that does a lot, it also doesn't feel crowded, so kudos for that too. My only gripe is that some of the overlapping grass on top of the building in the center of the screen looks a tad awkward, thus not a full A from me.

Hard decision between William and Pabru, but I chose Pabru this time due to slight edge in overall appeal.

#20 Zim Elite

Zim Elite

ban evader

• Banned

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:24 PM

Whoa. I voted for William. It's HARD to make the classic set look that gorgeous.

#21 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

William - Pretty good effort at making something fairly unique. However, while the idea was good I think that the execution could use some work. Because the bottom of the mountains don't match up with the water level, it just looks to me like it's floating in the air above the screen. icon_unsettled.gif You could try making diagonal versions of those tiles; I think it would make the screen a lot better.

Orin XD - Not bad. Mountain work is nice, although the ledge in the lower-right corner doesn't really do much for the screen since you can't fit any ground detail tiles there. Overall I think that you could have chosen a better shot to highlight the floating island aspect; this one doesn't show much of the world beneath it, so it just looks like it's on a really high mountain.

aaa2 - Sorry man, but the colors and design just aren't good. I understand that you're going for a colorful, SNES/NES hybrid look but this just isn't the tileset to do it in.

King Harkinian - Much better than your dungeon shot last week. There's some really random detail placement though (the floor borders which are used sporadically, the different blocks around each torch, etc. Overall a good improvement, the design here is perfectly fine.

Avataro - Okay for a classic shot, but there's nothing noteworthy here in terms of tiles or design.

Jared - The fact that the entire screen is white and you threw heavy snow in on top of that makes it incredibly difficult for me to pick out detail. I think the design is okay, but the detail isn't good (no trees on the forest brush, straight mountain, etc.). I also dsilike the number of different styles this screen throws together; GB enemis, and MC-inspired octorok and Link, LttP-inspired brush, BS water borders and waterfall... it doesn't really go together.

Fire Wizzrobe - My favorite screen this week. As Fire Wizzrobe pointed out the variety of trees could be better and the color could have more variety, but overall very good.

Pabru - Parts of the screen are way too cramped (the lower right corner) and the overhangs obscure a walkable path (in the lower-left). I think that you could have chosen a much more optimal palette (the ruins are already bright, making them yellow is a bit too much on my eyes).

#22 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:50 PM

William:

What can I say William, It's probably one of the best classic screens I've ever seen. 10/10 icon_thumbsup.gif
(By the way, I MUST HAVE THIS TILESET,) (If you don't want to give it to me, I understand)

Orin XD:

Looks pretty Basic, but still a great screen. 6.5/10

aaa2:

I feel this screen would be a lot better with a normal pallete 2/10

King Harkinian:

Nice dungeon Screen 6.5/10

Simple, yet good looking 7.5/10

Jared:

Though the snow makes it a little hard to see, its still a good screen 7/10

Fire Wizzrobe:

A great GB screen, 8/10

Pabru:

Awesome screen 10/10

It was hard to choose between William and Pabru, but I eventually voted William, because it is excellent classic work. icon_thumbsup.gif

#23 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

Voted for King Harkinian just because I like the dungeon tiles

#24 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:02 PM