Photo

Screenshot of the Week 213

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 213 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screen!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

Yeah... but it was more visible in this shot...
Anyway, this is how to make it something else:
Go into options, click ''2'' then select wanted snapshot format... Easy icon_wink.gif

#17 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Jun 2 2008, 09:33 AM) View Post

A note to all that say "JPGness ruins my shot" I have never submitted a Screenshot of the Week shot that was not a JPG. It has ALWAYS been JPGs... because I can't figure out how to make it not JPG.

Do you use photobucket? It automatically turns all your shots into JPGs.

As for me, I would have voted for Moonwhisper, just to be different. Although Plissken's is amazing.

#18 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jun 2 2008, 11:10 AM) View Post

Do you use photobucket? It automatically turns all your shots into JPGs.

As for me, I would have voted for Moonwhisper, just to be different. Although Plissken's is amazing.

That's not entirely true... if you're using GIF's, it doesen't icon_wink.gif

#19 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Jun 2 2008, 10:35 AM) View Post

That's not entirely true... if you're using GIF's, it doesen't icon_wink.gif

True. But that's probably why LiH is having that problem.

#20 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

Blaman - the best shot here by far. Has good design and aesthetic. Gets my vote.
Gray0x - very plain GB shot. Nothing too outstanding about it.
LIH - there is such a thing as TOO much detail. It just looks cluttered and does not focus your eye on any particular part of the shot.
Moonwhisper - Nothing special here when there are better GB shots in the running.
Nuvo - You've done better, you know this.
Plissken - Almost got my vote because of beautiful translucent water, but realized that can be done easily with layers and the overall design does not rival Blamans.
Russ - if only a true Earthbound tileset existed, I'd so use it. But changing it to force it into a GB zelda type of mountain completely ruins the shot.

So Blaman is the more deserving of the win, even though its not going to happen because of translucent layers. *yawn*

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 02 June 2008 - 03:49 PM.

#21 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

I think it's kinda funny how when after watching a couple of GameBoy shots win SoTW they seem to be growing... hm...

I like Blamans the best.

#22 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

Hey, I got a vote! YAY! who was the person who voted for mine?

#23 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

blaman - 8/10
While it only portrays your standard forest and bushes shot in concept, it does it excellently well. I love screens like that. I really like those tree leaves to the south. That one is new to me.

gray0x - 7/10
I could almost see green. You give this set a good name.

LostInHyru1e - 7/10
More gameboyish galore. A wise choice in using the wavy water. Good detail all around, but I wonder if more can be done with the sand itself (not referring to the details on top of the sand, as that all looks good). Not all sand has contours that flow in that diagonal direction, especially between the water and the ledge, but I don't know what you have to work with there, thus my uncertainty. Having a variety of different line directions for those type of sand tiles is a huge plus to have. Ideally it looks best if the contours at least sort of line up with the contours of the waves, mainly closest to the water.

Moonwhisper - 7/10
The best thing going for this screen is the grass details. While I normally dislike those trees, I think they look fine for this particular screen. I am not a big fan of box-like peninsulas, but I am not sure what you are doing in your nearby screens to see how it can be worked around. But hey, follow up questions are usually a good thing.

Nuvo - 6/10
Great tile choices and details for the natural parts, but I don't like that roof at all. It looks significantly less detailed than everything else in the screen, so therefore it feels very out of place graphically.

Plissken - 7/10
These types of screens always have high potential for being breathtaking, and it looks like you did it well. It is very consistent and interesting at the same time. Nothing in it says, "get rid of me".

Russ - 6/10
I am liking these graphics more and more. I am wondering if more can be done with the grass to spice things up, but you know what you are working with much better than I do.

My vote goes to blaman which at first I thought would be a landslide vote for me, but after careful examination, it seems like a closer decision due to the good work of the other screens as well.

#24 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:51 AM

Okay, at AGN, my entry is one of the most controversial in history. One person said about it:

E.....E.....Ea....Ear.....Ear......Eart......Eart. .....Earth......EarthB.......EarthB......EarthBo.. ....EarthBou.......
EARTHBOUND!!!!!!!11111111111111! !11111111!!1!
*Eyes explode into candy and small children come running to grab some*

You're making an Earthbound quest?! Yays!

Revfan, on the other hand, had this to say:

Russ: HOLY MOTHER OF F***** GOD WHAT THE H*** DID YOU DO TO MY EARTHBOUND!?

Jesus Christ, this shot is an insult to all of humanity. I don't think I can spot a single tile in there which is actually used correctly, and all of the colors are immensely overly saturated. Seriously, what the f*** is wrong with you? You took one of the most memorable games of all time and f***** it right in the a** to produce this twisted hellchild of a screenshot. The colors look like someone decided to barf all over your moniter and you picked the colors based on the little food particles you saw. You took isometric graphics and tried to convert them to Zelda-perspective graphics without any sort of editing at all and the end result looks like donkey jizz.

Not to mention how the screen is so awfully composed. Objects are just placed randomly with no regard for their positions and there is almost no detail. Just looking at it makes me want to tear out my eyes and eat them.

The only way that this screenshot can possibly be forgiven is if you immediately delete all copies of this shot off of all web mirrors, then promptly melt your computer and make sure that you never use Zelda Classic ever again. Hell, better yet, chop off all of your fingers so that you never use a computer again in your life. It's the only way to stop this monstrosity from doing any more damage than it already has.

I'm sorry, but you got to enjoy Revfan's rants like that. They always amuse me.

#25 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

lol, that was great.

#26 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

well, while I agree with Revfan on some points, I don't think it's that big of a PROBLEM. It looks okay... Not awesome, but okay...
Anyway, his rants is always funny, even while they can (is) WAY to aggressive.

#27 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

Heh, the fact that Rev isn't banned from the entire internet never fails to perplex me, but his rants are always quite funny. He has a way with words.

Although I think GB-ifying them makes the Earthbound mountains usable. I mean, the originals would be freaking hard to use.

EDITED. YOU SHALL NEVER KNOW WHY. MUAH-HA-HA.

Edited by LostInHyru1e, 03 June 2008 - 11:59 AM.

#28 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Jun 3 2008, 09:52 AM) View Post

Heh, the fact that Rev isn't banned from the entire internet never fails to perplex me, but his rants are always quite funny. He has a way with words.

Although I think GB-ifying them makes the Earthbound mountains usable. I mean, the originals would be freaking hard to use.

EDITED. YOU SHALL NEVER KNOW WHY. MUAH-HA-HA.

First, I never did like the way EB used the mountains, which is why I GB-ified them.

Second, if you think Revfan has a way with words from that rant, you should read his rants about how he hates Pure ZC.

#29 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

what? I loved the way EB used the mountains! I refuse to utilize a Mother tileset that butchers the mountains that way.

#30 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

Admittedly Russ, after looking at how the mountains are supposed to be, yours look pretty horrible...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users