• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:28 AM

What is Master Digi Volume? (in the ZC Sound Settings) Thanks

Edited by Cukeman, 18 July 2017 - 03:29 AM.

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:36 AM

'Digi Volume' is for digital sound cards such as SoundBlaster-16, and controls the sound output for an audio card. It is mostly a legacy leftover from when systems did not have embedded audio chipsets.

I'm not certain if this setting does anything practical at this point, but Allegro segregates between DIGI and MIDI sounds. I do not know if this setting needs to exist, alongside SFX, Enhanced, and MIDI. On systems that had separate MIDI hardware from DIGI hardware, years ago, you did need to set the volume output of each interface separately, but these days, they are all tied together.

Nothing in the source allows the user to add DIGI sound samples to a quest, and the only place this is used is to initialise the audio device driver.

It could probably be disabled and never be missed. Allegro does support recording DIGI files, so perhaps if we add microphone capability, this might have some purpose. :D

Lowering Master Digi Volume might affect all audio other than MIDI files, so that you can set a threshold for it; but the library that we use for some audio files may ignore this setting. It's probably a rusty boat anchor.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 22 July 2017 - 06:40 AM.

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

Okay so there's 3 types of sound files, MIDI, enhanced music, and SFX.

If Master Digi was affecting anything, then moving that slider to 0 would mute all 3 correct?

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

I believe it only affects MIDI volume if Allegro's built-in driver is used, which is normally the case on Mac and Linux.

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:52 AM

Ok, so going from default sound settings, turning Master Digi to 0 muted SFX, but not MIDIs. Haven't tested enhanced music yet.

Edited by Cukeman, 30 July 2017 - 11:28 PM.

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

Ok, so going from default sound settings, turning Master Digi to 0 muted SFX, but not MIDIs. Haven't tested enhanced music yet.

I believe it only affects MIDI volume if Allegro's built-in driver is used, which is normally the case on Mac and Linux.

That makes perfect sense. I remembered digi stuff on *nix systems, but I was not certain what it did on Windows, as I have not seen any didi files since the SB16 era.

Seems logical. Enhanced music runs through GME, Allegro (ogg), almp3 (allegro MP3) and various other libs. Some music might be affected, and some may not, particularly GME-related formats, such as .nsf.

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

When I did my test I used the default first quest. I assumed the music in that was MIDI because it sounds different than the original NSF.

The default first quest uses what file types for music and SFX exactly?

• Anthus likes this

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

When I did my test I used the default first quest. I assumed the music in that was MIDI because it sounds different than the original NSF.

The default first quest uses what file types for music and SFX exactly?

Mine uses MIDIs that are built into the quest file. There's "Overworld", "Dungeon", and "Level 9". I think to use the .nsf, you have to import it, but since the first two quests are passworded (for some reason) you can't do that easily. The SFX, I think, are also just the default ones built into ZC/ Clean .qst files.

#9 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

That's why I'm confused. Saffith thought it should only affect MIDI volume, but the music (which I thought was MIDI) wasn't affected.

Edited by Cukeman, 03 August 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:39 AM

That's why I'm confused. Saffith thought it should only affect MIDI volume, but the music (which I thought was MIDI) wasn't affected.

Hmm, no. Allegro segregates between MIDI and DIGI. The sound effects (WAV files) are digital samples, and that is why it affects them. Both are used in the allegro init routines, and if the allegro driver is used for MIDI, then DIGI volume may also affect MIDI files. That would only occur on Linux, or on OSX, or other *nix systems; and possibly on DOS, but we no longer support using DOS.

Master Digi Volume may in fact, work entirely different on each platform.
  • Cukeman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users