Lanmola movement?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 satokoaddict96

satokoaddict96

.qst

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

I'm trying to make a single Lanmola viable as a mini-boss using 9 segments. The problem is that the Lanmola enemy itself turns around way too often which can cause it to loop back and forth like 10 times before going in another direction. Since I'm trying to make this work in a maze-like room, is there a way to make it turn left or right in the maze almost every chance it gets?

I have almost no experience with scripting in general, and never tried it in Zelda Classic.

(ZC Version 2.50.2)

Edited by IcyMind, 07 July 2017 - 01:48 PM.

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Go to the enemy editor and try editing the ranom rate. It's default is 8. Try like 4, 5, 10, whatever. Not sure if this will help.

Edited by Avataro, 07 July 2017 - 09:01 PM.

#3 satokoaddict96

satokoaddict96

.qst

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Already tried it and random rate is no good. Changing the number both up and down causes the same issue of it going back and forth.

#4 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

A random rate and homing of 0 might help?

#5 satokoaddict96

satokoaddict96

.qst

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

Homing is set to 0 by default and I already tried random rate 0 which causes it to never turn sideways (Perma back and forth loop).

I think I'll just try a higher random rate and remove the maze so it won't loop as much.

I still want the maze setup to work though, so if anybody knows how in ZQ I would like to get something like this:

3sBgp07.jpg

Edited by IcyMind, 08 July 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#6 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

Lanmolas are very much hardcoded in ZQuest. There is only so much you can do with them with the enemy editor. You'll likely need a fully scripted Lanmola in order to do what you want. It is possible, but it isn't an easy script to write.

Edited by Jamian, 08 July 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

Don't bother. You cannot truly affect Lanmola movement without scripts, and at that point, you may as well script one from scratch. Even with scripts, forcing Lanmolas (or Moldorms) to do anything is quite difficult, and it will usually not have quite the effect that you desire. It may be possible to force their direction to remain static unless they hit a screen edge, but at the same time, this may cause them to behave erratically in yet-another-manner.

'Lanmolas and Moldorms obey no natural laws.' - This was in my signature back in 2015.

I know that a few members here have replicated them in scripts and perhaps they would be willing to put them into the database; but you will only go mad trying to force internal boss enemies to do anything that they do not naturally do in the source code. Scripting them is not all that difficult, save that you need to plan ahead for wrapping around objects.

I may decide to have a look at a few of the bosses and allow editing some of their attributes for 2.60, but by that time, we may replace them with npc scripts that the user can easily modify from the editor. I am leery about changing enemy behaviour too much, primarily as it may cause old quests to break. 

Be very careful with changing the movement type for boss enemies too, as this may cause undesirable side-effects. I seem to recall Lanmola or Moldorm type enemies leaving the screen if their movement type is set to something other than their default .This can be quite comical, but I expect that you do not want it to happen.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 08 July 2017 - 06:52 PM.

• satokoaddict96 likes this

#8 satokoaddict96

satokoaddict96

.qst

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Well, open room with high random rate Lanmola it is then. I'm very careful with editing too much or doing things I have not tested before. As long as it's easy to undo mistakes or reset to default I'm not really worried... unless I can manage to corrupt the quest file somehow? If possible maybe refer me to a list/thread that states things that you should not mess around with? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users