Photo

Screenshot of the Week 315 - Cations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (58 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

Ebola, I think if you gave a texture to the top of the mountains, then the water would not look as out of place. Like what Midnight_King did in one of his shots a little while back:
QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Mar 17 2011, 05:07 PM) View Post
IPB Image
Comments? People might be wondering how did I detail the mountain top, the answer is simple-- overlaying mountain on the origin ground dirt. The reason being is that the water felt so detailed next to the one color mountain top hence the detailed mountain tops icon_smile.gif.

I think the texture he has used there would really fit with the water tile you have used.

#17 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:11 AM

(mainly towards Beta Link and Radien) My shot was supposed to be an revamp of the Spectacle Rock screen in Z1, in a diffrent style to what people normally would do. Just because it says "Death Mountain" doesn't mean that it shouldn't have lots of grass or trees. And Ebloa, I did use the SD3 pattern, but I was critised by you in 308 for making it too repetitive. Just pointing out comments that I find unhelpful from the ZC perspective.

What I hate to see in SotW is obvious memes, espically those that weren't done in ZQuest; which is exactly what Russ did. My score for that shot dropped by a whole four points because of that meme.

Rankings:

1. Midnight King: 8/10.

2. William: 7/10.

3. Ebola Zaire: 6/10.

4. Lynker: 4/10.

5. Russ: 3/10.

Didn't put myself in this ranking.

#18 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:53 AM

Jimmyb, that might make the mountains go better with the water, but I'd rather just change water tiles to fit with everything else. It's easy to just rip in some new water tiles, but I think if everything else is mostly agreeable it'd be more efficient (and pleasing) to make the screen less busy. Thanks for the suggestion though!

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Mar 29 2011, 01:11 AM) View Post
(mainly towards Beta Link and Radien) My shot was supposed to be an revamp of the Spectacle Rock screen in Z1, in a diffrent style to what people normally would do. Just because it says "Death Mountain" doesn't mean that it shouldn't have lots of grass or trees. And Ebloa, I did use the SD3 pattern, but I was critised by you in 308 for making it too repetitive. Just pointing out comments that I find unhelpful from the ZC perspective.
I did criticize you for that in SotW 308, but keep the context of that criticism in mind. In that shot, you had two very long horizontal rows (one combo vertically) of unbroken grass combos. When the SD3 grass was used in its rigid pattern arrangement in that shot, it actually made the 16x16 tile grid more prominent, not less as the pattern should. On this screen you don't have that problem. I still stand by what I said there (and here): take a look at how the original game used those graphics. The pattern is used and it works, but it does deviate when it will end up looking repetitive. It also had more ground details, like flowers, bushes, and dirt to help it preserve an organic feel. Also, since I'm already here:
IPB Image
Those red circles are where you repeated one of the grass combos next to another one. That doesn't suit the SD3 tiles, and also makes the tile grid more prominent. Also, in my opinion, the plain grass tile should almost never be used, but I don't know how everyone else feels about that. That's just something I found works from my work in the DoR tileset.

Also, speaking of helpful comments,
3. Ebola Zaire: 6/10.
icon_wink.gif I'm just messing with you, but think about it. I apologize if you found my comment unhelpful, but I did put in time to review each shot, post my comments (maybe not as in-depth as I normally do), and rank them as I saw them. If you disagree with it of course that's your opinion, but I don't think it was unhelpful of me or anyone else to give an honest opinion.

#19 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Mar 29 2011, 12:11 AM) View Post

What I hate to see in SotW is obvious memes, espically those that weren't done in ZQuest; which is exactly what Russ did. My score for that shot dropped by a whole four points because of that meme.

Geeze some people don't like to mess around once and a while just please remember this is a fun contest don't take it too far. You don't see me fussing because I getting thrashed by EZ now do you?

Also out of curiosity where would you scale yourself?

I nulled since I'm in

1. Ebola Zaire 9.5/10 (Wonderful detail, nice layout, unique feeling.)

2. Russ 9/10 (Nice detail, nice layout, awesome meme.)

3. Lnyker 8.5/10 (Good detail, nice layout.)

4. William and Orin XD 7/10 (Good detail, good layout.)

Edited by Midnight_King, 29 March 2011 - 02:40 AM.

#20 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Mar 28 2011, 11:11 PM) View Post
(mainly towards Beta Link and Radien) My shot was supposed to be an revamp of the Spectacle Rock screen in Z1, in a diffrent style to what people normally would do. Just because it says "Death Mountain" doesn't mean that it shouldn't have lots of grass or trees. And Ebola, I did use the SD3 pattern, but I was critised by you in 308 for making it too repetitive. Just pointing out comments that I find unhelpful from the ZC perspective.

Think about it Orin. Death. Mountain. Notice the "death" part? Does that say "lush and green" to you?

Also, Death Mountain has been in at least 5 different Zelda games so far, and yours looks like none of them. Zelda fans aren't going to like that, and there are a lot of Zelda fans here. So if you don't like hearing that, don't enter SOTW. Remember how it's a bad idea to enter SOTW if you don't like feedback?

Also, our names are "Ebola" and "Radien." Not "Ebloa" and "Raiden." I'm tired of having people's posts edited for spelling, just to prevent people from thinking my user name is "Raiden."

And I agree with what Ebola said about the grass. Lots of people mess up SD3 grass (the grass found in DoR). But why? Is it difficult to simply lay it out in the same way that it's shown in the combo list? Just right-click an area and use the "Draw 2x2 block" feature. Don't hold the mouse button down and drag it across the screen while you're drawing grass details.

#21 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

Ebola Zaire! Stop blowing my mind!

Just kidding, but seriously Ebola's shot is amazing and it gets my vote.

William's use of the Zero tileset is a nice change of pace.

#22 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

Wow, EZ, this looks great! The overhangs are beautiful, and I love the ground detail and water!

#23 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

im liking this 2 screen shots of the week thing is it perhaps because of so many entries this time around if so keep it up XD

QUOTE(Radien @ Mar 29 2011, 04:53 AM) View Post

Think about it Orin. Death. Mountain. Notice the "death" part? Does that say "lush and green" to you?

Also, Death Mountain has been in at least 5 different Zelda games so far, and yours looks like none of them. Zelda fans aren't going to like that, and there are a lot of Zelda fans here. So if you don't like hearing that, don't enter SOTW. Remember how it's a bad idea to enter SOTW if you don't like feedback?

im a zelda fan and i liked it >.>
also voted for him....

Edited by chainswap, 31 March 2011 - 07:33 AM.

#24 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

Midnight_King - 9 votes = [18.00%]
Lynker - 1 vote = [2.00%]
William - 8 votes = [16.00%]
Russ - 4 votes = [8.00%]
Orin XD -3 votes = [6.00%]
Ebola Zaire - 25 votes = [50.00%]
Total Votes: 50

Ebola Zaire
IPB Image
If you think this is over, then you're wrong.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users