Photo

Screenshot of the Week 729

Joelmacool HeroOfFire shuji

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 729 (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:27 PM

We've got snow. We've got fire. We've got both in one shot. Which do you prefer?

HeroOfFire
HeroOfFire.png
It's always snowing somewhere...

Joelmacool
Joelmacool.png
recycling old screens be like

shuji
shuji.png
Castle between mountains !

• nicklegends and Hari like this

#2 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 10 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

My Vote goes on Joelmacool for the Nice Warm Colorfull Palette :D

• Joelmacool likes this

#3 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:50 PM

I really like shuji's shot. It's not as technically good as the other two, imo, but it has a unique and enticing aura to it.

#4 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:49 PM

a goode week, but holy fuck that atmosphere in sushi's shot really does it for me. god damn.

• Matthew likes this

#5 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:27 PM

Last-minute opinions before the next contest is posted...

HeroOfFire

I like the overall vibe of the screen. The unsaturated colors feel cold and I like the subtle details throughout the screen. Nice touch especially to have the snow packs ride up the angled cliffs, though I think the outlines of where they meet the cliff face in the top-right could be made darker; also the lower-left pack feels too square against what is supposed to be a jagged cliff. Are those little Farfetch'ds or ducks or what? Regardless, I like this shot.

Joelmacool

Another atmospheric screen in a long line of nicely built screenshots. It's a small detail, but I like that you used the vanishing cliff tile up top to convey a slope. (I think a lot of designers are afraid to use them because they mysteriously gain or lose the designers a layer in their cliffs, but the GB Zelda games used them everywhere.) The teeny-tiny pool of lava at the right-side cliff corner looks a little odd given you used dirt corners in the other places. It looks like you also created custom tiles for where the lava meets the rock—nice. No other real feedback... It's a pretty tight play space, so I hope you don't load it with too many enemies.

shuji

A unique shot! I think it's a little dark, but I like the general color composition. The biggest issue I have is that it's difficult for me to tell whether this is a top–down area or a sideview area. The strong borders at the edge of the red section convey depth in the surrounding bricks. Nice subtle mountains and delicate touches of snowflakes. The tundra reminds me a bit of Undertale.

All three shots have their merits, but I voted for HeroOfFire (who, ironically, is the only contestant without fire in their shot).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool, HeroOfFire, shuji

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users