Photo

Games That Aren't As Bad As Media Suggests?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Just thought this would be a nice way to tell people about the good side of games. Does anyone know of/has played any game(s) that the majority of people say is terrible, but actually has several redeeming factors? I can't name any offhand right now, but I'm sure they'll come to me at a later point in time.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Sonic Unleashed. Gets a very bad rep when in reality it's one of Sonic's best games, yet crap like Colors gets praised. Some people I swear...

inb4 some loser says Sonic '06.

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Here's my list...

IPB Image

Resonance of Fate (PS3/360) - This is probably one of the most underrated and most overlooked games of all time. This game came out on the same month as Final Fantasy XIII. (Who's genius idea was it to release it on that month? icon_razz.gif)Most critics complain how the battle system is so difficult to learn that it automatically makes this a bad game. But after playing through the first 3 chapters out of 16, I pretty much knew all the bells and whistles of the combat system. The system isn't that hard to learn. Disgaea's Battle System is WAY more difficult to learn compared to this game. The best part is that once you know how everything works, you're looking at one hell of an RPG released this generation. This game IMO blows Final Fantasy XIII away.

IPB Image

Lollipop Chainsaw (PS3/360) - I say this game is very decent after recently beating it. It scored around the 60's from reviewers. But I think this games deserves slightly higher scores than that. Lollipop Chansaw is developed by Suda 51 who brought us the No More Heroes franchise on the Wii/PS3. I could strongly relate Lollipop Chansaw to No More Heroes as it has all the craziness and epic combat that game had. I guess some people did not appreciate Juliet Starling over Travis Touchdown probably because her normal attacks are much slower and she's terrible at dodging compared to him. Nevertheless, Juliet has several special moves and tricks that are just funny to execute. And one plus I had with this game over No More Heroes is that it does not feel repetitive. Every level in this game was unique with several different surprises. If you can get it for less than $20, then I say go for it!

IPB Image

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/360) - The biggest complaint people had with this game is that it doesn't follow the traditional Castlevania formula. Regardless of that complaint, if you're playing this game as an action-adventure game, then you're looking at a very solid and fun gameplay experience. Other than that, the production value is one of the best of any multiplatform game I've played on the consoles. I got back into playing this and I'm having a lot of fun. I love the combat system. You utilize your whip a lot better in this game. You can use it as a hookshot, latch onto enemies, grab your enemies, and the best part of all, form fatalities with it. Just get through the dreaded and excessively long Chapter 2 and you'll like this game.

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Rayman 2: The Great Escape. It is bashed now by a lot of people because it has been re-re-re-released so many times it's not even funny. It is still in fact, a very good platformer. I still think the N64 version is the best, as it has the best controls. Newer versions have bugs and errors that are quite bad. Just try looking at the sky in the 3DS version. All in all, it is 'original form' I think it is one of the best games, but nowadays, it's seen as dated, buggy, and generally shitty.

On Sonic Unleashed; I agree about it being a good Sonic game. But, the werehog parts where torture for me. I don't go into a Sonic game expecting to have to take it slow in such a way. Talk about a Buzz Killington. It could stand on its own as a great Sonic game without the werehog stuff. Also, from what I 'played' of Sonic Colors in Generations, it seems purtyturrible. What I really want to see in a Sonic game is them go back to having Tails (but without that Gundam shit) and Knuckles playable if they insist on using different characters. Make them play more like their Genesis/ early counterparts in a game like SG and I'd be full fanboy again /offtopic

Edited by Anthus, 13 January 2013 - 12:44 AM.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE(Anthus @ Jan 13 2013, 12:43 AM) View Post
I don't go into a Sonic game expecting to have to take it slow in such a way.

Guess you hate the Adventure games too then, huh? icon_razz.gif

#6 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

Sonic Heroes received a lot of bad reviews, but yet it was a great game by my standards (in fact it is my favourite Sonic game that I've played so far) but it required a fair amount of polishing on Sega's part. If Sega put in more time into polishing the game, it would easily make it into my top 5 games and it would lose a lot of its hate. I actually saw Heroes get put lower than '06 once by a reviewer (I think it was in the Nintendo Magazine, along with a high review of Colors Wii), which required even more polishing to make it actually decent.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (particularly Explorers of the Sky) also has its share of bad reviews, but they were great games (in Sky's case, many reviewers may have not even read the disclaimer that states that it is an expansion of the other PMD2 games), especially in terms of soundtrack, that suffered from a lot of balancing issues (which, apparently, are staples in other rougelikes).

Edited by Orin XD, 13 January 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 12 2013, 09:08 PM) View Post

inb4 some loser says Sonic '06.

Go to Hell.

I liked '06. A lot. One of my favorite Sonic games, in fact. Maybe it's just because after 5 years of hearing people talk about how absolutely terrible it was, there was no way it could meet the incredibly low expectations I had set. I dunno. But I loved it, even if it was flawed and unfinished.

QUOTE(Anthus @ Jan 12 2013, 09:43 PM) View Post

But, the werehog parts where torture for me. I don't go into a Sonic game expecting to have to take it slow in such a way.

Funny how people complain about the werehog being slow, but never complaint about Tails or Robotnik in SA2, or Gamma in SA.

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 13 2013, 01:04 AM) View Post
Go to Hell.

Hey, they reserve special places in hell for those who like '06, so you first.
Maybe it's just because after 5 years of hearing people talk about how absolutely terrible it was, there was no way it could meet the incredibly low expectations I had set.

I dunno, I already had pretty low expectations for Other M and it was even worse than I thought.
Funny how people complain about the werehog being slow, but never complaint about Tails or Robotnik in SA2, or Gamma in SA.

That's what I was getting at. >.>

#9 Smiles the Death Bringer

Smiles the Death Bringer

The smiling demon!

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Lester the Unlikely
The AVGN did a review on it, everybody's only complaints for the game is that Lester is so nerdy, how does that make it a bad game?
Not only that, but about halfway through the game Lester loses his nerdyness...
No one showed that.

#10 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I know there is some games that people say that plain suck, Like Sonic colors, I played it and I liked it.
It wasn't as bad as people lead on. On the internet.
--

And the other game would be E.T on the atari... It wasn't that bad.
Oh my god I can't lie about that game. It was pure crap and everyone was right.

QUOTE(Ovasity @ Jan 13 2013, 07:33 AM) View Post

Lester the Unlikely
The AVGN did a review on it, everybody's only complaints for the game is that Lester is so nerdy, how does that make it a bad game?
Not only that, but about halfway through the game Lester loses his nerdyness...
No one showed that.

Lester gets unnerdy. Hmm... maybe I'll actually try to get passed the second area now.

#11 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 13 2013, 12:04 AM) View Post

Go to Hell.

I liked '06. A lot. One of my favorite Sonic games, in fact. Maybe it's just because after 5 years of hearing people talk about how absolutely terrible it was, there was no way it could meet the incredibly low expectations I had set. I dunno. But I loved it, even if it was flawed and unfinished.

When GameGrumps started playing '06, I decided to play it as well. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

The game is broken beyond belief. There are so many glitches in the game it's awful.
The plot is all over the place. Half the time I don't understand what's going on.
Talking to people. In a Sonic game?
FIRST RULE OF SONIC TALK TO EVERYBODY

------------------------------
QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Jan 12 2013, 11:35 PM) View Post

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/360) - The biggest complaint people had with this game is that it doesn't follow the traditional Castlevania formula. Regardless of that complaint, if you're playing this game as an action-adventure game, then you're looking at a very solid and fun gameplay experience. Other than that, the production value is one of the best of any multiplatform game I've played on the consoles. I got back into playing this and I'm having a lot of fun. I love the combat system. You utilize your whip a lot better in this game. You can use it as a hookshot, latch onto enemies, grab your enemies, and the best part of all, form fatalities with it. Just get through the dreaded and excessively long Chapter 2 and you'll like this game.

MORE LIKE CASTLEVANIA LORDS OF PLAGIARISM

-----------------------------
inb4 some loser says Metroid: Other M

Edited by Vinyl Scratch, 13 January 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Oh right, that was another, thanks for reminding me Vinyl. I liked Other M. Not as much as the Prime series, by any means, but I honestly didn't think it was that bad, save for one or two annoying parts. icon_shrug.gif

#13 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 13 2013, 01:47 PM) View Post

Oh right, that was another, thanks for reminding me Vinyl. I liked Other M. Not as much as the Prime series, by any means, but I honestly didn't think it was that bad, save for one or two annoying parts. icon_shrug.gif

You're trolling. And if you're not, have this, it will explain everything wrong about Other M.

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Not trolling. I can bring up old IRC quotes as support. I really do like Other M, and I can explain why if you want (in fact I've been meaning to reply to TS's rant against it).

#15 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

I loved Resident Evil 6. And the media trashed it. It is good game. People are just so sour about it not being a survival horror.

Also, I like Other M as well. Wasn't the best Metroid game, but it wasn't a bad game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users