Change to Rule #13 (image limits)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Due to some complaints about ZQuest images in big mode causing horizontal scrollbars for some users, especially images that are 800x600 in size, we have decided to remove the exception that we had in place for all images over such limits from ZC and ZQuest. However, the general limits have been increased from 500 to 600. So no matter what kind of image you post, make sure you don't embed any images that exceed 600 in either dimension.

This rule change becomes effective immediately. Make sure that any image you post follows these dimension limits.

Any image that breaks the new rule but not the old one, and was posted before this announcement was made will not be enforced.

Also, here is some highly recommended advice from Nuvo to heed when posting any screenshot anywhere on this board:
http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=43125
That topic is pinned in Custom Quest discussion.

I will leave this topic open for anybody who has any questions or concerns about this.

#2 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

Hm. I always liked posting them in jpegs as long as the blur wasn't to bad because it also meant that no one would be able to rip anything from it.

#3 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

Just curious, who using anything but a pocket computer actually gets horizontal scrollbars from >600 pixel wide images? Even netbooks have at least 1024px wide screens.

Personally I've never even found horizontal scrollbars too much of an issue. This rule has always bugged me for some reason.

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

According to Nathaniel (who tested different resolutions) 800x600 shots give horizontal scrollbars on 1024x768 resolution, which is relatively common. On 800x600 (which is really the lowest resolution that is still technologically viable) 600x600 should be fine.

Lemon: I know that Radien does the same thing (or something similar) so you're in good company. icon_smile.gif The thing is that most .jpeg's are used because of certain image hosts or because people don't know that they reduce quality.

#5 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

My desktop computer got horizontal scrollbars, but not my laptop. Either way, it never really bugged me.

Edited by Molten Onyx, 11 April 2010 - 09:06 PM.

#6 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

This may be a novice question, but is there a way to take smaller shots from ZQ, as opposed to ZC?

#7 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

As far as I know there isn't, but you can easily resize them by 50% with the most basic of image editors to make them the a more normal size. But you'd only need to do this if you took the image in large mode.
EDIT: I personally use Windows Photo Editor for the resizing and Paint for editing out the what I don't want. As my computer came with them, it's easy.

Edited by Molten Onyx, 11 April 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 11 2010, 10:18 PM) View Post
This may be a novice question, but is there a way to take smaller shots from ZQ, as opposed to ZC?
There's always GIMP, if you're not opposed to downloading a program. GIMP can be used to do some awesome things in the hands of an expert, but it's also handy for simple things, like resizing images to any dimensions you want.

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

I use www.irfanview.com for cheap and simple resizing. It does the job, though one image at a time.

If you're using Firefox, and watch to temporarily enlarge any image you see in your browser, I highly recommend ImageZoom. I can't live without this thing. It's so great. My eyes aren't perfect, so I like to zoom in on really small images. It'll inevitably create a horizontal scroll bar, but only for you. Not for everyone else.

#10 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

In addition to all of that, if someone has a slower internet connection that makes images load slowly, you do have the option to shut off images, avatars, and signatures in your board settings. Wild Bill would keep these off back in his dialup in the middle of nowhere days. Yeah, our own webmaster, believe it or not.

Anyway, when I joined this place, the image limits were in fact only 400. Since then, the dimension limits have increased 50%, which is quite generous. When you think of it, the area limits (length x width, for those who forgot their math) have more than doubled, going from 1600 to 3600. Those are no small potatoes. We can't forget about those who have less than us, but we aren't going to completely hold their hands either.

#11 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

Somehow I missed the part of this where you increased the size limits from 500 to 600. Bless each and every one of you for that.

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

500 for non-ZC shots. 600 for ZC shots.

I'm on a 1220x900 (something; not on my home PC right now.) resolution, and ZC shots still give me horizontal scroll bars more often than not. 600 will likely be fine.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Apr 12 2010, 08:37 AM) View Post
500 for non-ZC shots. 600 for ZC shots.
Eh? According to Nathaniel's first post and the actual rules thread itself... It says 600 for all shots... icon_confused2.gif

#14 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

Yep, 600 for everything (thus when I said "general limits"). It's much easier just to have one limit for everything. It minimizes confusion. So it was a compromise overall. Up the general limits, but remove any exceptions for what goes beyond it.

#15 Deviance

Deviance

Le' Deviant

• Banned

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Apr 10 2010, 12:08 PM) View Post

Due to some complaints about ZQuest images in big mode causing horizontal scrollbars for some users, especially images that are 800x600 in size, we have decided to remove the exception that we had in place for all images over such limits from ZC and ZQuest. However, the general limits have been increased from 500 to 600. So no matter what kind of image you post, make sure you don't embed any images that exceed 600 in either dimension.

This rule change becomes effective immediately. Make sure that any image you post follows these dimension limits.

Any image that breaks the new rule but not the old one, and was posted before this announcement was made will not be enforced.

Also, here is some highly recommended advice from Nuvo to heed when posting any screenshot anywhere on this board:
http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=43125
That topic is pinned in Custom Quest discussion.

I will leave this topic open for anybody who has any questions or concerns about this.

Oh come on Nate we are not living The 90's anymore icon_razz.gif
People, it's time to update.

Edited by Deviance, 13 April 2010 - 09:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users