Photo

Do you want a custom costume in my new quest?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:31 AM

I recently completed an entry for the official 6th Quest Contest, which is currently in beta testing (if you would like to help test, feel free to do so over on the 6th Quest Contest discord server!). It's a quest with a minimalist Z1-type story and Z1-based graphics, but with new items and puzzles and a rearranged world where everything is just a bit different. Many familiar mechanics from "Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia" reappear here, although I aimed to make this quest a bit simpler and easier to understand, more rooted in Zelda 1's design.

My quest includes an option that allows the player to replace their sprite (or that of an optional partner assistant) with a number of costumes. These costumes also replace the graphics for the Cane of Somaria's block, the Triforce, and what character is rescued in the ending. They also affect the sword sprites, although the sword is not generally in the quest under most circumstances, and affect the optional partner's swordbeam sprites.

I'd be happy to add custom costumes for anyone who wants to request one, if I can work out some appropriate graphics for them! (Bear in mind the rest of the quest is in Z1 graphics style). The requirements are:

1. I can't make any promises, and I reserve the right to refuse any request, but I'll try my best!
  2. I strongly prefer you have some sort of tiles for me to base it on, ideally a four-directional walking sprite. A full Link-style tileset is even better. However, if I find your request easy enough to draw or adapt, I may still try it.
  3. This quest intends to be "open source", meaning people could reuse it's tiles (including any costumes you submit/request). I request anyone doing so credit the original costume's creator, but even so.
  4. Since this is for the 6th contest, it may (or may not) wind up being packaged with some future versions of ZC.
  5. I probably can't do any obscene content (sorry) and won't do any offensive content. No costumes of real people.
  6. Requests can only be taken until about the end of February (when the testing for the contest ends).

Formatting information:

• The costumes are in in the following csets (for "no ring", "blue ring", and "red ring" respectively): 4iX0RMz.png
  • 16x16 pixel tile size. (I didn't use large Link this time.)
  • BS Zelda style animation (meaning that the walking animation can be two or three frames long, the character will display the latest frame of their walk animation when they stop moving, and the upward-facing walk doesn't have to flip).
  • Costumes don't use expanded Link tile modifiers, meaning that the shield will only be displayed during walking. The shield mostly isn't in the quest on the default settings, although there is an optional mode to use it at any time).
  • The sprites use this general format as a template:

FJpkZXZ.png

(Not sure how much sense this makes, but basically, the last row of Link walking tiles are the "Charging the sword" tiles which are unused in this quest, and the second-to-last are the jumping sprites. The bottom left two tiles of Link are unused.)

The built-in costumes include:

Spoiler

I realize that's already a lot of costumes, but I'd love to add more if anyone has some requests! I'll also credit you if your draw your own tiles.

I'll be taking these requests until the testing period for the contest ends (approximately the end of February 2020). So feel free to ask for whatever you might have in mind! ^_^

Edited by Mitsukara, 04 February 2020 - 04:23 AM.

• Aquamentus (Facing Right) likes this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:40 AM

Zelda 1 hates outlines, so it's hard to straight up port graphics from GB works, since at that point outlines were often more of a standard...

Is outlines something that would be a straight up rejection for this? It will clash a bit with the Z1 aesthetics but it would open up more porting options and..., well, I kinda stink at spriting in the Z1 style, tbh.

• Mitsukara likes this

#3 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

I plan to try and work on these suggestions, and I'm putting them here so I don't forget.

Bunny Link
Triforce: Red Pendant
Zelda: Moon Pearl (Link's ending pose is as normal)

Armos
Block: Staircase
Partner beam: The poker it carries
Zelda: Bracelet

Rope
Block: 5 Rupees
Partner Beam: Zelda 2 dripping lava but recolored to venom
Zelda: Cobrat (Mario 2) or Coily (Q*Bert)

Wallmaster
Block: Trap
Partner Beam: Floormaster Kid
Zelda: Link (gets captured)

Deadrock
Block: Its stone version
Zelda: Tektite

Hoarder Bug
Block: Z3 Stone
Partner Beam: Green Rupee (like when you pick up the bush off of it)
Triforce: Z3 Bush
Zelda: Z1 Boulder

Zora
Block: Whirlpool
Partner Beam: Z1 Fireball
Triforce: Flippers
Zelda: King Zora

Bari
Block: Aarghus Ball
Partner Beam: Biri
Triforce: Aarghus Ball
Zelda: Three Biris

Chain Chomp/BowWow
Block: That block he's tied to in Moblin's Hideout
Partner Beam: "WOOF"
Triforce: Dog Food
Zelda: Link (Second frame is of Link like in the LADX picture)

Eyegore
Block: Sleeping version of itself
Partner Beam: Arrows or larger Z3 Beamos Laser
Zelda: Beamos or Z3 Goriya

Kodongo
Partner Beam: Z3 Kodongo Fireball
Triforce: Baby Dodongo
Zelda: Dodongo, Helmasaur, or Z3 Moldorm Boss

Z3 Headless Stalfos (yes I'm making this lol)
Block: Its head
Partner Beam: Also its head
Triforce: Also its head
Zelda: Stalfos Knight's Body

Blind the Thief
Block: His head
Partner Beam: Also his head
Triforce: Also his head
Zelda: Zazak

Zazak
Partner Beam: Z3 Zazak/Lynel Fireball
Zelda: Blind the Thief

Prince Richard
Triforce: Golden Leaf
Zelda: Frog

Hammer Bro.
Block: SMB1 Brick or SMB3 Treasure Chest
Partner Beam: Hammer
Triforce: Axe
Zelda: Peach

Lakitu
Block: SMB Cloud
Partner Beam: Spiny Egg
Triforce: Axe
Zelda: Peach

Guardian (The Guardian Legend)
Block: Breakable Block
Partner Beam: Shot
Triforce: Key
Zelda: Randar

• Anthus and Mitsukara like this

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

This is such a cool idea and I'm really happy with it. I love playing with the costumes in your quest, and being able to request some seems really fun.

I've got lots of costumes I could request, but to start with, I feel like two from my own 6th Quest entry would be appropriate. Minor spoilers I guess.

Spoiler

The sprites use solid black colors, which ZQuest likes to convert to transparent when you rip, so I put them on a solid purple background so you can rip them in and mass recolor transparent to black and purple to transparent. They're already in your quest's CSet 6, so no other recoloring should be necessary. They don't have separate slash or overhead/hammer tiles, but honestly it probably looks fine with just the stab tiles (they only use the stab tile for slashing in Depths of Malice, at least, and nobody complained there).

Do you have a limit on the number of costumes a single person can request? There's a few others characters of mine I'd kinda like to have too (I'd provide any sprites, so no worries about burdening you with more work), but I also don't wanna feel like I'm overloading your quest with my OCs (though the fact that there's 68 costumes to begin with makes me feel a little less worried there).

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking the second character should have a projectile for the partner beam instead...
  • Mitsukara likes this

#5 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:35 PM

If it's not too much trouble ...

I tested on your own quest file, and this should rip in fine. The style clash is real on this one ... I hope that's not a big issue.

• Mitsukara likes this

#6 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

Is outlines something that would be a straight up rejection for this? It will clash a bit with the Z1 aesthetics but it would open up more porting options and..., well, I kinda stink at spriting in the Z1 style, tbh.

Outlines won't be rejected, they just won't look as good. If someone wants an outlined sprite I'm happy to add it! Especially if it's premade. If it was a new thing I was making myself I'd edit out the outlines and possibly make the shading style more Z1ish, but adding a finished sheet is quite easy. Moosh already has outlines, in fact, since I was using existing sprites made by Shane (from ITLKOTBBG, I think). So don't worry about style clash, I'm okay with it for these requests.

I plan to try and work on these suggestions, and I'm putting them here so I don't forget.

Those all sound pretty cool! Sorry I didn't get the entire Z1 enemy cast represented, especially ones that

Spoiler

If you're looking for tiles to base them on, please feel free to open the quest- most of my custom NPCs are around page 38 (though some are earlier or later, wherever they fit best) and the custom items are on page 76. The costumes begin on page.... 130 or so I think? And I have some tiles for

Spoiler
in the alternate item graphics right after that (and yes, I'll need to move the alternate item graphics page when I add more costumes, but that's not too tough since I just change what starting tile it's copying them from.)

I've got lots of costumes I could request, but to start with, I feel like two from my own 6th Quest entry would be appropriate.

Those both look good and are already in a pretty good format to adapt easily. I should definitely be able to add those! I love

Spoiler

I'd rather not limit the number of costumes, but if I start to run out of tile space I may have to make some decisions on that basis (each costume takes up one page of tiles). I think there's room for at least like, 30 or 40 more though, although I really should check for sure. (Too bad this isn't 2.55 or it'd be a non-issue.)

If it's not too much trouble ...

Looks good, I'm happy to add this one too!

Edited by Mitsukara, 04 February 2020 - 09:46 PM.

#7 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:16 AM

Do you like eevees?

Spoiler

Too clarify, the row with charging tiles is above the row of jumping tiles, right?

Edited by Mani Kanina, 07 February 2020 - 12:35 PM.

• Mitsukara and Deedee like this

#8 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

Hm, so I don't see a Goron in P-Tux's (or anyone else's) list, so if it's not too much trouble for you to import them (and if I find the time and motivation) I may just adapt the NPC Gorons I did. That does depend on me actually doing it, though :P.

• Mitsukara likes this

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:11 PM

Spoiler

• Mitsukara, Jared and Hari like this

#10 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:40 PM

Do you like eevees?

Looks good!

Too clarify, the row with charging tiles is above the row of jumping tiles, right?

No, it's the other way around. Easy enough to fix when I add them in, though. I'm more concerned about whether the cset on these will work- they'll have to work with the csets I showed in the first post, unless I make them 8-bit tiles (which means they wouldn't flash correctly when the player is hit or collects a clock).

Hm, so I don't see a Goron in P-Tux's (or anyone else's) list,

What do you mean, aren't the rocks from Zelda 1 what become Gorons in the Downfall timeline? I look forward to it if you manage it!

Yoshi

Wow, that came out great! Definitely adding this one in. Hoping to work some of these early submissions in within the next week, after I do a little more bugfixing / testing stuff.

The way costumes currently display, it flashes a banner with the character's name at the bottom of the screen. I'm thinking for these submitted costumes, I may use small letters to credit the creators on the side (similar to how the titles of more obscure games like Maze of Galious and Solomon's Key are listed on existing costumes). So it would say "by Shane", "by Mani Kanina", etc, in small letters to make sure it fits.

Edited by Mitsukara, 05 February 2020 - 11:42 PM.

• Mani Kanina, Shane and Hari like this

#11 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:40 AM

No, it's the other way around. Easy enough to fix when I add them in, though. I'm more concerned about whether the cset on these will work- they'll have to work with the csets I showed in the first post, unless I make them 8-bit tiles (which means they wouldn't flash correctly when the player is hit or collects a clock).

These were adapted to use the first row of the CSet you posted, I specifically imported it so I worked with the right colours (I did change transparency colour to make it easier to work tho, but that should be irrelevant). :o

The hair bow uses the first green too so it will change colour when you get a new ring.

unknown.png

• Mitsukara likes this

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

Those both look good and are already in a pretty good format to adapt easily. I should definitely be able to add those! I love

Spoiler

The way costumes currently display, it flashes a banner with the character's name at the bottom of the screen. I'm thinking for these submitted costumes, I may use small letters to credit the creators on the side (similar to how the titles of more obscure games like Maze of Galious and Solomon's Key are listed on existing costumes). So it would say "by Shane", "by Mani Kanina", etc, in small letters to make sure it fits.

Quoting both of these since related. While the characters are mine, Moosh sprited them, so be sure he gets some credit. As far as I'm aware, no references were used. Thanks for adding them!
  • Mitsukara likes this

#13 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:33 PM

What's that, self inserts? naaaaaaaah, totally not. <_<;

Spoiler

Edit: Dimentio mentioned that partner sprites might be for when the given character is the partner, rather than the partner you have with you, I need to update my two sheets.

Edit 2: Updated both sheets (as well as earlier in the thread):

Spoiler

Edited by Mani Kanina, 07 February 2020 - 12:34 PM.

#14 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:24 PM

Edit: Dimentio mentioned that partner sprites might be for when the given character is the partner, rather than the partner you have with you, I need to update my two sheets.

No, the partner always uses the same tiles as a the regular costumes. The only exception was that for the manhandla head/body in one of the built in costumes, I hard-coded it to draw a manhandla body for the partner instead of using the normal tiles. Nothing else displays differently on the partner than it would on the regular player costume, so if you want a different partner, it's easier to just add it as a separate costume that works for both player or partner.

The only other thing that's unique to the partner graphically is that first row of swordbeam tiles, which is used for their beam attack and not used by the player.

Hope that makes sense.

I still haven't actually gotten costumes added, haven't been doing much on ZC in the past couple days but getting back into the swing of it a bit today. I'll make sure to post here when any of the costumes are added! Unless I forget because I'm dumb like that

• Mani Kanina likes this

#15 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

Version 2 is up on the contest server (and may be on the PureZC database soon). The following costumes have been added:

- Din (requested by ywkls, sprited by me)

- Nayru (requested by ywkls, sprited by me)

- Farore (requested by ywkls, sprited by me)

- Zora (by me)
- Yoshi (by Shane)
- Holm (by Aevin)
- Kell (by Russ, sprited by Moosh)

- Riggs (by Russ, sprited by Moosh)
- Eevee (by Mani Kanina)
- Mani Kanina's "Self insert"
- Gardea (by Zaxarone)

Hoping to also get some of P-Tux's requests in by the end of the month too. I'm still open to more requests, so feel free! Doubly so if you already have sprites to work with.

Edited by Mitsukara, 21 February 2020 - 10:21 PM.

• Mani Kanina and ywkls like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users