Photo

Screenshot of the Week 327

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (54 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

Lynker
Can't say I'm too fond of that "poisonous water," and it looks like Pure lava to me, colored purple. You might do better to find some other bubbling liquid.

This looks like a Pure palette, and I can't say I'm too fond of it. "Dead brown" doesn't look right against such bright green and purple. Subscreen looks pretty nice, though. I'd just move the "A" and "B" frames over to the right a little, to balance out the subscreen and give the counters some much-needed space.

William
I just realized, is "Liam" named for the last four letters of your own name?...

Hmm, more customized Classic overworld. I see a few new tiles, and most of them are at least as good as the existing ones -- with the exception of the pillars, which look totally flat (not even sure whether they are really supposed to be pillars). I don't detect the change of palette without comparing directly, but this palette is pleasant.

linktopower
I don't get it... is Link in side-view, bouncing on the Aquamentus' head? Is that even possible in ZC?... If this is side-view, the graphics you used for it are a little weird. For one, those are staircases, not ladders. The rest of the graphics are too flat to tell whether they are side-view or not (thus is the nature of Classic).

Subscreen elements could use some tweaking (mostly just shifting them around), and I think subscreen labels are usually unnecessary, but with some adjustments it'll do the trick.

Bourkification
I like it a lot. icon_smile.gif The subscreen is not crammed overfull, and it is nicely symmetrical. I still say the Gamecube button layout is wholly unnecessary, but whatever. Nintendo fanboys go for that stuff, sooo yeah. Hmm, are those Phantom Hourglass hearts I see (or perhaps Spirit Tracks, which may use the same hearts)? And is that a Spirit Tracks rupee, too? If so, it doesn't look like mine. Did you rip it in yourself somehow, or perhaps you drew it?

This once again proves that BS mountains work well with MC tiles, particularly the water. Now, you don't specifically have anything happening on this screen, but hey, Link's gotta shop for bombs sometime. Amidst other screenshots showing other aspects of your quest, this would be perfectly nice in its own respect.

Cukeman
As I'm sure you've noticed, people tend to downplay title screens here, because they don't really show anything about the quest itself, and the usual basics of ZC screen design are a moot point. That said, I'm really liking that sword. I suppose the image could use a little bit of touch-up, as it still shows visible signs of graininess from color reduction, but overall it looks very good for such a limited palette.

Personally, I would not call it Zelda "III." Most Zelda fans treat LTTP as "Zelda 3," insomuch as there really is a Zelda III. Also, "Return of Link" is a really generic title. This "Return of Ganon" of which you speak, is that a quest you made earlier? I suggest something relating to the quest's story that could not be said about other Zelda games.

Lithium
Hmmm, nice solid Gameboy screen. Looks like it'd be at home on the old handheld. This particular choice of screen doesn't tell us much, though. It's mostly scenery. For what it is, though, it'd look just fine in a quest.

Christian
Not quite getting the love for this shot. It's a mess of cave walls all facing different directions, which doesn't work well on ZC's finite screens which lack smooth scrolling. And in general you have to be VERY careful when subdividing a screen into three or more sections, and this looks like four or more.

I think you did a good job fitting so much stuff into the subscreen, but in order to keep it from feeling crammed in, you should probably remove some of the labels. In particular, we don't need a "Life" sign to tell us what the heart meter is, nor "Map," nor "Equipment," etc. Might also want a couple pixels of clearance at the bottom of the subscreen.

...Okay, that's that. I think Bourkification's screen deserves to win this time, and so the 4th entry got my vote. icon_smile.gif

IPB Image

#17 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 5 2011, 10:29 PM) View Post
Personally, I would not call it Zelda "III." Most Zelda fans treat LTTP as "Zelda 3," insomuch as there really is a Zelda III. Also, "Return of Link" is a really generic title. This "Return of Ganon" of which you speak, is that a quest you made earlier? I suggest something relating to the quest's story that could not be said about other Zelda games.

"Return of Ganon" is what you see displayed on the Game Over Screen in Zelda II.
My game takes place after Link dies in Zelda II, where he 'awakens' to find himself
in the realm of the dead, and tries to find a way back to Hyrule. That is Link's sword
and tombstone. In what other Zelda game does Link return from the grave?

Since The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past doesn't use the number 3 in it's title,
I didn't think there would be much confusion. And as my game is a sequel to Zelda 2,
it made sense to me. The vibe I'm going for is 'what if they had made another NES
game instead of A Link to the Past?'.

Edited by Cukeman, 06 July 2011 - 01:41 PM.

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Jul 6 2011, 11:25 AM) View Post
"Return of Ganon" is what you see displayed on the Game Over Screen in Zelda II.
My game takes place after Link dies in Zelda II, where he 'awakens' to find himself
in the realm of the dead, and tries to find a way back to Hyrule. That is Link's sword
and tombstone. In what other Zelda game does Link return from the grave?

Since The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past doesn't use the number 3 in it's title,
I didn't think there would be much confusion. And as my game is a sequel to Zelda 2,
it made sense to me. The vibe I'm going for is 'what if they had made another NES
game instead of A Link to the Past?'.

Yes, I grew up on Zelda II, so I am familiar with the "RETURN OF GANON" screen. That *&$%in' game over screen gave me nightmares as a kid. Srsly.

The title "Return of Link" doesn't necessarily specify that he's returning from the grave. From reading it, I didn't know that was what you meant to imply. Anyway, Link returns in every Zelda game, and in many of them he has been reincarnated, though they tend to gloss over that detail.

I think your idea works, I'm just encouraging a more specific title. icon_smile.gif

#19 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

William
I just realized, is "Liam" named for the last four letters of your own name?...

Yeah, it is. Liam is the Irish form of the name William.

I don't detect the change of palette without comparing directly, but this palette is pleasant.

It's just a more darkened and toned down version of the one I used before.

#20 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(William @ Jul 8 2011, 10:50 AM) View Post
Yeah, it is. Liam is the Irish form of the name William.

Oho! Really! You learn something new everyday, eh? icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(William @ Jul 8 2011, 10:50 AM) View Post
It's just a more darkened and toned down version of the one I used before.

Ahh. I've done that with a palette before. Looks good.

#21 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

So Bourky, why do all your shots with this tileset seem to have link with 20 rupees? icon_razz.gif

#22 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Cukeman
As I'm sure you've noticed, people tend to downplay title screens here, because they don't really show anything about the quest itself, and the usual basics of ZC screen design are a moot point. That said, I'm really liking that sword. I suppose the image could use a little bit of touch-up, as it still shows visible signs of graininess from color reduction, but overall it looks very good for such a limited palette.

Actually, I like how there's so much black and just some symbols displayed. It looks sort of simple, yes, but it works rather well. The title, how ever, I agree, could be a little more specific. I can't come up with anything good spontanously, though. "The forgotten Chapter", maybe, as it's an alternate plot of ZII from what I get.

A neat feature would be if Link could spend only limited time in the world of the living. Maybe he has to free his soul first (like, it was shattered and "locked away" in the realm of the dead?), before beeing allowd to wander the realm of the living without limitations. The soul could be a first quest goal, another could be the Triforce Of Courage probably? I mean Link still wants to awaken the princess, right? And he has to beat Ganon. What a mess! Something else which I'd think be pretty cool was if Link met Zelda in the realm of the dead. Or her spirit rather. She is in some sort of magical slumber at that time, right? Could be an explaination for her spirit lurking the otherworld.

Hm, I hope you don't mind me shooting random ideas.

#23 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Jul 9 2011, 09:52 AM) View Post
...as it's an alternate plot of ZII from what I get.

Exactly. The Subtitle may be rather simple, but it's simplicity is (to me) rather like Zelda II's subtitle,
and besides it's a play on the phrase 'Return of Ganon'. There's probably be a better subtitle out there,
but this one's good enough for me.

It's not that I don't like constructive criticism, I'm used to that from art classes, it's just that I want to
explain why I did or didn't do something, to help people reach their conclusions, whatever they might be icon_smile.gif

A neat feature would be if Link could spend only limited time in the world of the living.

Actually, I have already planned for something similar to take place, lol icon_smile.gif

I mean Link still wants to awaken the princess, right? And he has to beat Ganon. What a mess!

At this point, I am either going to have the baddies still preparing for Ganon's return, or he will only
make a partial return like in the Oracle games. Dark Link will be the main villain.

Something else which I'd think be pretty cool was if Link met Zelda in the realm of the dead. Or her spirit rather. She is in some sort of magical slumber at that time, right? Could be an explaination for her spirit lurking the otherworld.

I haven't considered this before.

Hm, I hope you don't mind me shooting random ideas.

Not at all, I appreciate the interest.

Edited by Cukeman, 09 July 2011 - 02:48 PM.

#24 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Lynker - 3 votes = [5.88%]
William - 2 votes = [3.92%]
linktopower - 2 votes = [3.92%]
Bourkification - 18 votes = [35.29%]
Cukeman - 3 votes = [5.88%]
Lithium - 10 votes = [19.61%]
Christian - 13 votes = [25.49%]