Photo

Screenshot of the Week 203

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 203 (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screenshot of the week!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:15 AM

billy ronald
IPB Image
Link finds castle town very colorful

Gleeok
IPB Image
And then suddenly Link pauses for a moment and realizes he was supposed to pick up the princess from the airport the day she was kidnapped. If he only weren't too busy playing army men with the triforce fragments in his room that day, none of this would've happened. He had too try and fix things, but first, succumbing to an acute attack of "Zora-phobia", he needed to go home and get a clean pair of shorts.

LostInHyru1e
IPB Image
Her singing is too much, I'm jumping!!

Joe123
IPB Image
I wonder where those Octoroks could've hidden your sword Link...

**Note** I thought /M/ had this SotW, but I posted it as it is two days late. But it will still run to Sunday like the others. Now let the voting begin!

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:27 AM

Billy Ronald... That is... No... Don't like... Yuo know why... Don't you? There's SEVERAL design issues there... if you take a look at it, you'll see them...
Gleeok, that's pretty good... But Joe123 and LiH beats you...
Lih.... WTF...
Joe123... Awesome shot... I love it...
Now... LiH... How the **** did you do that? That's AWESOME! GB is the set for you man! *votes*

#3 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:44 AM

billy ronald - There's several problems. There's solid objects 1 tile from the edge. A WHOLE wall of tiles. On TWO sides. That's a no-no. No one want to walk into a wall upon entering a room. The trees are fine I guess, because they are man made (I think), but you still could have put more around the screen. That is all. Cssht.
Gleeok - Cool. I like it. Although don't use that ugly grass at the top O_o Very unique shot, I like LiH's and Joe123's more though.
LiH - Very nice shot...but. Please pay attention to the mountain heights O_o. You have to keep that constant because then OCD people like me will be angry icon_razz.gif I really like the shot though. You use the set very well. Although you should also watch for solid things being one tile away from the edge. You only did it once though icon_wink.gif I love the shot.
Joe123 - Great shot. I like it a lot. I reeeaaally think they may have hidden it in that boss room there, but that's just me I think. Nice shot icon_wink.gif I love this one as well.

Hard choice. I'll have to think about it.

#4 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:02 AM

Joe123. MINISH CAP kicks butt. And why did I put Minish Cap in caps? Find out next week in SotW 204! icon_deformed.gif

#5 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE(LinkMystro @ Mar 25 2008, 08:44 AM) View Post

Joe123 - Great shot. I like it a lot. I reeeaaally think they may have hidden it in that boss room there, but that's just me I think. Nice shot icon_wink.gif I love this one as well.

Heh, you'd take a long time to find it if you were looking in that room icon_wink.gif

Null'ed of course, would've voted for Gleeok though.
Yay for caption!

Edited by Joe123, 25 March 2008 - 05:44 AM.

#6 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:17 AM

Voted for LiH.

Billy Ronald: (DoR2.0/10) If you remove the upper left white tree, then that part becomes less boxy. Also, you need to put ground detail on the screen apart from the SD3 grass. For example, you need solid objects that are half on this screen and half on other. But the first time I laid my eyes on it I enjoyed it.

Gleeok: (Epic/10) Nice Classic-y thing. So... like... Where are the scripts?!

LostInHyru1e: (Colour/10) Deja vu. Except better than the one in the other thread. Only problem I see is... look at the bottom left red narrow palm. Then look at the mountain part just right of it. See, that's some unmatching elevation. Just like you had unmatching elevations in that other thread, too. Also, Link isn't straight enough. But still vote.

Joe123: (Overcave/10) Oh no! The overworld has fallen on the cave! Still not bad. ALttP design with MC caves, seasoned with overworld tiles. Of course, not enough for a vote.

#7 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

Ooh, it's close so far!

Billy Ronald- This shot makes little sense to me. Doors for houses should be near the center of the screen, not just 1 tile away from the edge. The bottom right of the screen is far too busy in a bad way, and the top right is too dominated by the road. I love the palette, but that probably wasn't you... anyway, this is a step backwards from your past weeks, so I'm hoping to see you "Bounce back" next week.

Gleeok- not much to see here. Design looks good, but I somewhat dislike the graphics and the water is far too dominating.

LostInHyru1e- ... ... ...

Joe123- I like the new cave palette, and the mix of green in the cave makes it look original. The design is good, but the double log-stacks and lack of other tiles make it look a little plain. I love Minish Cap Caves, but there isn't too much that you can do with them in the first place.

I would've gone for Joe123, but I nulled.

#8 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Wow. This decision was actually a really tough one. Great screens everybody, but I had to go with Billy's, because the way he utilized the colors was just awesome, and he deserves it. icon_smile.gif

#9 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

billy ronald - 5/10
I find that some of these tiles don't blend in with each other all that well, making the screen as a whole look awkward. The diagonal bricklike tiles you used for the road look more appopriate for some other type of setting. If I were you, I would try something else for that. Perhaps rounded stones would work better. It would also look better if you used different trees. The ones you chose don't seem to fit for this village type of setting. A little research can go a long way. I do like the choice for grass and cliffs though.

Gleeok - 6/10
Pretty good for a classic style screen. I love the choice of hearts and items in the subscreen portion, and I also am a fan of that particular water and grass for classic. Considering the limitations of such a set, you did well. There must be a way to get the water close to the cliffs to have exactly the same blue as the rest of the water, because I do easily notice that inconsistency. I also notice it with some of the water very close to the grass.

LostInHyrule - 7/10
Gotta love how you managed to pull that all together in one screen. The details are very well done, and the screen is complete because it doesn't leave me thinking that something is missing.

Joe123 - 8/10
Excellent graphics choices and very good consistency throughout. That has to be one of my favorite cave floors I have seen for ZC, considering all the rough details. We don't see cave screens all that often in SotW, so seeing one here is often an interesting find. And once again, I love that subscreen. I question if there are better slash bushes for such a screen, though. Perhaps something not as fertile looking (or not fertile in an outdoor forest sort of way) would be more appropriate for a cave. Overall though, it's the best graphics and design of all the shots, so it gets my vote.

#10 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

-----Joe gets my vote.-----

billy ronald - boring to me i dunno ... personally im getting annoyed by all those tornado looking trees being overused in quests. icon_sweat.gif

gleeok - i actually kinda like this, but like others have mentioned the colors dont run together very well with the water and cliffs, and also something i noticed is the zoras and their little whirlpool animation is sand-colored and not water colored. icon_freak.gif

LIH - i almost voted on this one, cause i love the gameboy set so much and i think you used it very well and this is very enjoyable to look at. the orange is ... well different, but i dont like the coloring very much. icon_glare.gif

joe - something about this screams - real quest - not just another show off. it feels like its got depth like its playable, like its real. it looks fun, i love the gray rocking cavern walls, and the little subtle stuff you put into it. its fun, its attractive! way-to-go! icon_cool.gif

#11 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

Vote for LostInHyrule1!
Joe's was close too...
And Billy's screen lacks some design.
Gleeok's is fine though, but it's not to special.

#12 Dorian

Dorian

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

Lostinhyrule won my vote over Gleeok
for this great GB screenshot
the "classic" screen is not classic at all for me : look at the zora sprites, isn't that from the pure tileset?
and I loved the comment icon_razz.gif

#13 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

Going to have to go for Lost this time (Yes, I voted. Get over it). Though the mountains make as much sense as a Nutrition Facts label on a bottle of water, the screen is vibrant and very interesting to look at. They're all pretty good, but that one stands out to me (Plus, I'm a sucker for GB graphics)

Also, Gleeok. Nobody should ever put that much thought into their shot captions

#14 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Billy Ronald:
Well, it looks alright, but, the tree's are kinda aligned as if their ice creams or something.
The houses are a little to close to the bottom of the screen, the path is wider on the north part, and the canyon has it's sides cut off on the right of the canyone near the top of the screen.

Gleeok:
I actually quite like the grass and the grass colour, and the Minish Cap rocks, looks like you're trying to make a quest with improved Z1 graphics, I like that, though there is some things I don't like in the shot, like the zora's are NewFirst zora's out of all things, I know this may be part of the improvements yet they look too much like the originals, also, the water is misplaced in one area, on the left of the island there's two corner water peices (Corner top right and corner bottom right peice) placed oddly near a peice of land that stretches too the left, also, the bridge is a little too straight and i'd think it'd look better with brown.

LostInHyru1e:
This is what I would of voted for.
Although, the canyon beneath the tree and the house looks like it fuses with the land on the water and the land on the one canyon.There isn't much else that I can seem to point out, the design is overall good. icon_thumbsup.gif

Joe123:

I absolutely love the design of the cave, and yeah, I remember you saying about the bushes colours being too bright and that they show out compaired to the other objects, yeah they kinda do, infact the screen may even look better without the bushes, though that ain't going to push me away from voteing, it's still awesome. icon_thumbsup.gif
---------------------------------------------------
My vote goes to Joe123! icon_smile.gif

Edited by HeavyTitanium, 25 March 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

It was hard for me to vote between Gleeok and Lost because Gleeok submitted a nice Classic(-ish) shot, but I am a sucker for a good GB shot. So I vote LostInHyru1e.

billy ronald - Not a bad shot, actually. I can see why the objects are placed like they are: The character's not going to get there, anyways. Keep building your skills, you'll get a great shot in. icon_wink.gif

Joe123 - Good usage of the tiles, but really, not that appealing. Too many rocks. icon_unsettled.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users