Photo

Screenshot of the Week 301

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (40 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:01 AM

Sorry for the delay last week; I had a lot more stuff going on than I thought, and given my dorm's power situation it's fairly lucky that I was able to get it up this week. I need some more help around here...

OOTFan
IPB Image
"Venture with me into the unknown."

Russ
IPB Image
That feather... so close... yet just out of reach... taunting me... beckoning for me... must find a way around... must get... Wait a sec, it's just a stupid feather! Why do I even want a feather? Curse you video game logic! Did I just break the fourth wall? Who cares?

Yoshidude
IPB Image

#2 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:08 AM

Ha, ha! I sent the first vote here to Russ!

@ OOTFan: A neat little dungeon shot. It shows an overwhelming sense of introduction. It looks all average, but not fablous 7/10.

@ Russ: A nice little autmun overworld shot. I would hate to be in Link's shoes here, but I could just walk behind the tree... 8/10, voted for you.

@ Yoshidude: Doesn't look very good. It being a ZQ shot doesn't allow for us to see action, on top of that, it also looks quite bland. 5/10.

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:23 AM

Gonna vote OOTFan if every screen was fabulous it wouldn't give you a wow factor every occasional screen needs to be fabulous to give a player a sense of reward. Yoshidudes screenshot its all fuzzed or something on the lines like that or is it just me.

Edited by Midnight_King, 22 November 2010 - 03:48 AM.

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:33 AM

Voted for Russ. It's the least practical in terms of layout, but it's the only shot that showed a bit of "something". OOTFan's shot is just an entrance that no one would stop to appreciate (I bet the next screen of the dungeon would have been far more exciting) and Yoshidude's is a run-of-the-mill Pure shot in the default overworld palette that looks like it's five years old, with nothing going on.

#5 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:35 AM

All three of these shots are very linear and almost lack substance. Its sad to admit, but I was forced into a wall and had to choose the most graphically advanced shot.

OOTFan: Generic Dungeon Entrance Shot. LI Graphics. Voted for this.

Russ: Lacks substance, very empty, too much orange and brown, and... is that a strip of bacon above those pits? icon_eek.gif

Yoshidude: Generic Pure Shot.

In conclusion,

I don't like your shots so bland; I do not like this. Understand?
*Alestance has quit(Kicked: Please refrain from using rhymes; lest ye gone before your time.)

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Nov 22 2010, 04:35 AM) View Post

... is that a strip of bacon above those pits? icon_eek.gif

HAHA lol that made my day its a feather I do intend to agree it looms more like bacon makes me want to eat some!!! OOTFan uses LI graphics don't remember them walls nor tiles being in there eh might be faulty memory *Reformating brain*

Is this part 2 of the false light thing you know part 2 of light of the heavens.

Edited by Midnight_King, 22 November 2010 - 05:56 AM.

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:16 AM

I went with OOTfan although it's pretty bare seeing that it's symmetrical. Russ's shot is too orange and Yoshidude's shot is a GPS. (Generic Pure Shot)

#8 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

nulled, i wanted to add some diagonal walls to smooth out the whole layout of the entrance, but i don't have the ones that go with it. i'll have to rip them from minish cap and recolor them. i threw this together in around 10 minutes, not including ripping tiles, assigning combos, and setting up door combo sets. i'll have to admit though, i have improoved greatly since i started. @Russ, man, if only you hadn't added so much orange and added a little more stuff to give it a less empty feel, but overall nice shot! @ Yoshidude, what can i say buddy, gps, still at least it's got a solid feel to it, may i suggest adding some flowers, maybe some people (npcs), otherwise, great job.

#9 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

why did somebody vote for my screen icon_confused.gif

#10 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

OOTFan - 6/10
It uses nice graphics, the subscreen is decent, and nothing looks awkward, but beyond that, it isn't anything too special. Good on technical elements, but not much on the artistic side.

Russ - 7/10
Without a doubt in my mind that this is the best screenshot for this week. While I like to give other tilesets a chance too, it doesn't take much for me too see that the best effort of the three is here. I do like the color theme, since it clearly is supposed to be autumn, so I do think that is in good taste. My main criticism is that the screen still has more potential. Details can be spiced up just a little more, and some activity (such as enemies) can help bring some life to it, as long as you are interested in giving it more life. Perhaps the caption is a clue to the lonely stroll in the woods theme, though.

Yoshidude - 5/10
It certainly works as a screen in its bare elements, and the ground details are not bad, but beyond that, it is not interesting. The screen is completely dead of activity, and there is no subscreen, so I get the impression that it was simply finished for the sake of completing the task, like a student doing a homework assignment on something he is not interested in. It lacks the passion that winning screenshots tend to have.

It is hard to pick up after an anniversary effort from SotW 300, and this week certainly shows that, but it will eventually pick up.

#11 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

would my screen look ok in my quest?

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

Nulled, of course. Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll be sure to keep them in mind when I design the rest of the area.

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Nov 22 2010, 02:55 AM) View Post

Is this part 2 of the false light thing you know part 2 of light of the heavens.

Yes, as a matter of fact it is. It's the first screen of level 1.

#13 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

@OOTFan: I knew this would win from the beginning. It uses nice tiles, but really shows nothing as far as screen design goes. There's nothing wrong with it, but the main idea here is design. If fancy tiles were all that mattered, we would never have a classic screenshot win...come to think of it, has a classic shot EVER won screenshot of the week?
@Russ: I voted for this one. It feels a tad bit empty, but it was obvious how much work and thought went into it. My only problem with it is that knowing you, those pits would probably be scripted, and I could cheat by walking diagonally across them.
@Yoshidude: Meh. It just feels empty. Not physically empty, but empty in detail. It's hard to describe.

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Nov 22 2010, 11:37 AM) View Post

My only problem with it is that knowing you, those pits would probably be scripted, and I could cheat by walking diagonally across them.

You would think that. But I have certain fail-safes in place. NO SEQUENCE BREAKING ON MY WATCH. icon_deformed.gif

#15 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

I really like OoTFan's entry icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users