Castlevania

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#226 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:11 AM

Watched a playthrough of the arcade game Haunted Castle which is in the Castlevania series despite the name. Have to say the graphics are ugly compared to other games of the time. It's not underdetailed, it's just badly drawn and animated.

#227 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:12 AM

Funnily enough, it had the same name as the original NES game in Japan. No idea why it wasn't just called "Castlevania Arcade" over here. Gotta agree though, not a fan of the graphics, and Simon's walk cycle... it's horrendous.

• Cukeman likes this

#228 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

The Castlevania Netflix series starts tomorrow.  I'm stoked.  They've got a pretty good VA cast.

Graham McTavish as Dracula
Richard Armitage as Trevor Belmont
James Callis as Alucard
Alejandra Reynoso as Sypha Belnades
Emily Swallow as Lisa Tepes
Matt Frewer as The Bishop
Tony Amendola as The Elder

#229 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

The anime looks like it might be entertaining, and since it's only going to be 8 episodes, it might be something I'll watch all the way. I have a bad attention span with serials with a few exceptions.

As for that arcade game, yeah, it looks like Simon has to constantly take a poop, and is barely able to hold it in at all times. Maybe that's why his jump was so rigid.

When I saw this thread get bumped, I was really hoping TS was going to tell us a new Castlevania for 3DS was coming out. I also agree with whoever said the DS games were good back on page 1.

#230 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:13 AM

The only news I have on new games is apparently rumor that Konami is considering making a new Castlevania series on Switch. That's their wording, "new Castlevania series." Whether that means another reboot I have no idea. Just go back to the original series and ignore Lords of Shadow...

#231 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:08 AM

It'll be a Castlevania game based on the Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer movie, probably.

• Anthus likes this

#232 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

I wonder if they would really try to make another 3D Castlevania in a world where the Dark Souls series kind of fills the void that Castlevania left behind. Besides the name, and some characters, you're still basically going to be beating up zombies, skeletons, and other demons with various weapons and exploring.. So I'd really like to see a return to the side scrolling style. I'm not saying a 3D Castlevania can't work, but do we need one? Do people want one? Would younger gamers write it off as a Dark Souls/ Bloodborn ripoff and would it further damage the brand to go even further from its roots? These are the real questions, folks.

#233 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Watched a playthrough of the arcade game Haunted Castle which is in the Castlevania series despite the name. Have to say the graphics are ugly compared to other games of the time. It's not underdetailed, it's just badly drawn and animated.

It is also impossible, nearly unplayable.

I highly recommend the X68000 version ( video ), as well as the MSX release.

Each is fundamentally different, but still the pure title. Akumajou Densetsu is fantastic, and even some spin-offs ('Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-kun', and 'Wai Wai World' are fun diversions.

The Mega Drive title, Bloodlines, is also fun. I do not enjoy the SotN style, or games that followed in its footprints. To me, a title in the Akumajou Dracula series should be a side-scrolling, whip the enemies, collect special items, and always be on the verge of death, type of game. They should not be some utterly confusing maze of finding secret paths, filled with RPG statistics.

The 3D games are far worse than this, and should never have existed.

The Castlevania Netflix series starts tomorrow.  I'm stoked.  They've got a pretty good VA cast.

Graham McTavish as Dracula
Richard Armitage as Trevor Belmont
James Callis as Alucard
Alejandra Reynoso as Sypha Belnades
Emily Swallow as Lisa Tepes
Matt Frewer as The Bishop
Tony Amendola as The Elder

If only Christopher Lee had lived long-enough to voice act for that.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 07 July 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#234 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

Probably wouldn't have happened. At some point in his life, Christopher Lee wanted nothing to do with the role of Dracula ever again, from what I read.

#235 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:40 AM

Just finished watching the series. Very good. Only real complaint, I wish they used more music from the games. Or any, really, unless there was something subtle in there, I don't think I heard any game music. But all that aside, still really good, good animation, solid story, now I just need the rest. Because do take note, this isn't the entire events of Castlevania 3; I had wrongly assumed this first season would do so and then the next seasons would move to another Belmont, like Simon most likely. But no, this is really just the setup, and the next season will presumably continue from here. So... now I gotta wait. :(

• Haylee likes this

#236 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

No Grant. 0/10

My full thoughts:
Spoiler

#237 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

No Grant. 0/10

Not yet, at least. It's still quite possible that he could appear in the second season, and my reasoning behind this is:

Spoiler

• The Satellite likes this

#238 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:44 PM

I imagine they couldn't get the rights to the music, or weren't willing to pay extra for it.  It would have been really neat to have light orchestral versions of the songs so they wouldn't feel overpowering, but I understand why they didn't have it.

For me, solid 9/10 on this series, I can't wait for the next season.

#239 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:37 AM

Hi again.

https://www.eurogame...astlevania-game

This was announced in April and yet I didn't hear about it until last night. I was trying to figure out why not until I read it was a mobile game. Based on a cooperative idea. With microtransactions. Also I can't help but think the plot sounds really stupid. It features the "Grimoire" which was apparently in Harmony of Despair, has characters from past Castlevania games, and apparently takes place after the Sorrow series, as "Genya Arikado" is the main character. But the plot involves the potential resurrection of Dracula? Even though Soma was Dracula's reincarnation and this is thus impossible?!

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is the only new Castlevania game.

#240 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

Next season of the Netflix show announced for October 26th. It was originally meant to be this summer, so slight disappointment, but I'm just glad it's this year and that we're getting more at all. I'm excited. I've been thinking about the show again and been wanting to rewatch the first four episodes, but not until the next batch were about to release. Guess I gotta wait three months for that... :(

• ShadowTiger likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users