Photo

Screenshot of the Week 636

Sheik TheRock Eddy Jared

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 636 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

When did screenshots get so serious, guys? The guy is allowed to have an opinion, tact be damned.
  • Sheik, Evan20000, Binx and 1 other like this

#17 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:48 PM

I'm gonna side with Anthus on this. He's allowed to have an opinion, and he shouldn't have to justify himself to anyone
  • Anthus likes this

#18 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:19 AM

The guy is allowed to have an opinion, tact be damned.

I (and Jared) never suggested he couldn't have one, that's just twisting the narrative. If anything I suggested to elaborate even if a little for it to be at the very least helpful for the participants in order to have "better efforts and success" next time instead of vague statements like "none" confusing people in the first place that help no one and probably are better off not being posted lest God forbid people ask to clarify so they can improve and then called out for it despite having as much right to ask (that's simply the consequence of making vague unhelpful single worded posts). Not so much to ask, I thought, but okay. He ended up doing it, so good on him, but next time, just cut to the chase to avoid people being confused and/or annoyed. This seems to have been an ongoing thing for a couple of random Screenshot of the Weeks, so I figured I'd throw in my two cents so we don't repeat this. But have it your way I suppose.  :shrug:

TL;DR: No one is saying he can't null. No one is saying he can't announce it. What people are saying is he should elaborate (or at least should of elaborated with the first post), I don't see what the big deal is here...

• Eddy, Jenny and Jared like this

#19 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:36 AM

People are allowed to have opinions, just as people are allowed to ask people to elaborate on their vague opinions.

Voted for Eddy. Finish it.

• Shane and Eddy like this

#20 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:18 AM

sure. I do not find any to be appealing. they all look like filler screens or weak efforts. "none" felt like a nicer way to say "I have viewed these, but do not find any to be acceptable, as far as collection of my vote goes."

Honestly the second part would've been a nicer way to put it rather than just one word IMO but thanks for clarifying, I understand now. I also disagree with the disastrous clashing tiles critique. I found them to fit rather well hence why I used them, but fair enough, I can't please everyone I suppose lol.

• Shane and Jenny like this

#21 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:55 AM

This has nothing to do with screenshot design as they are all single non-moving images; but I can't help thinking about enemy interaction with the bridge. Unless you drop "no enemy" flags on the bridge, an enemy standing on or under it could suddenly be phased through the bridge (up or down) when the bridge goes from underhead to overhead.

Sheik and Jared's shot both have the same... I don't want to say "tile error" because I think there's probably new transition tiles that need to be made, but having a 2 tile high wall next to a 3 tile high wall (the middle right edge of Sheik's, and the upper right of Jared's) is troublesome because one of the large stones in the wall gets cut in half (it should have the other half on the adjacent tile). Like I said a "tile error" is when you place a tile incorrectly, in this case I believe new tiles need to be made, but visually speaking it does look like a tile error.

Eddy, Are those torch fires sitting on the floor without torches? (on either side of the locked door)

Edited by Cukeman, 14 November 2017 - 04:56 AM.

• Jared likes this

#22 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

TL;DR: No one is saying he can't null. No one is saying he can't announce it. What people are saying is he should elaborate (or at least should of elaborated with the first post), I don't see what the big deal is here...

I agree with you that "none" or "nothing special" doesn't help the screenmaker at all, it still is just an opinion though. No big deal indeed. I can't see anything offending in what trudatman said, it might be unneeded or tactless but even constructive criticism can be tactless and hurtful.

If you ask me, you just can't handle negative feedback very well. Especially if you don't get a reason that you can agree or disagree with to pull a finish line. And sometimes people just dislike things without a real reason behind, then they obviously can't elaborate.

Noone ever said that you disallow others' opinions or called you out because you asked for elaboration. It's just that you clearly state that you dislike non-helpful "destructive" criticism and that you would prefer people to either give helpful "constructive" critism or otherwise keep silent. I (and some others) can't fully agree as I prefer it if people don't keep silent if they want to say something as long as the said isn't meant to harm people. trudatman stated that "none" of this week's screens excite him, that might be a let down for this week's contestants, but it's far from being harmful.

Honestly the second part would've been a nicer way to put it rather than just one word IMO but thanks for clarifying, I understand now. I also disagree with the disastrous clashing tiles critique. I found them to fit rather well hence why I used them, but fair enough, I can't please everyone I suppose lol.

That's the right way. We should all be a bit more like Eddy, have some confidence! There simply is no need to please everyone and to feel obliged to do so is just pure madness. But we are pure ZC *chuckle*. That goes especially for you, Jared. You are just oversensitive here. Who cares if someone sees your screen only as a filler, you are one of the best screenmakers here and once more your screen looks great. You can be proud of yourself.
  • Anthus likes this

#23 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

I agree with you that "none" or "nothing special" doesn't help the screenmaker at all, it still is just an opinion though. No big deal indeed. I can't see anything offending in what trudatman said, it might be unneeded or tactless but even constructive criticism can be tactless and hurtful.

If you ask me, you just can't handle negative feedback very well. Especially if you don't get a reason that you can agree or disagree with to pull a finish line. And sometimes people just dislike things without a real reason behind, then they obviously can't elaborate.

Noone ever said that you disallow others' opinions or called you out because you asked for elaboration. It's just that you clearly state that you dislike non-helpful "destructive" criticism and that you would prefer people to either give helpful "constructive" critism or otherwise keep silent. I (and some others) can't fully agree as I prefer it if people don't keep silent if they want to say something as long as the said isn't meant to harm people. trudatman stated that "none" of this week's screens excite him, that might be a let down for this week's contestants, but it's far from being harmful.

I'm just going to say this one last time: By the same token, there's nothing harmful with asking for people to elaborate on what they mean. No one is silencing anyone, no one is claiming trudatman harmed anyone and there's no underlying issue (although I don't appreciate your ridiculous claims) here, this is all just been overblown out of proportion. So how about we relax and not continue this? :)

• Anthus likes this

#24 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

Eddy, Are those torch fires sitting on the floor without torches? (on either side of the locked door)

Yes, they are sitting on the floor. The idea is that they are just lights on the floor (and you'll see them done better elsewhere lol).

• Cukeman likes this

#25 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hmm, I did read through my post once more and found a few misleading points. Eddy, I used you as an example how people should take confidence in their work and shouldn't care all that dislike it. In no way did I mean though that your is something to dislike, while I agree that there are some elements that theoretically would clash with EZGBZ, you pulled it off to put them together in a way that makes them fit perfectly together. And I think it's the first time I see these walls and really like them. Of course you also got my vote.

I also apology for calling you oversensitive, Jared. That was unneeded and you have any right to feel that way. I just wanted to say that I don't think there was any intend to offend you so you don't have to take it serious. If it still hurts you, just look at your screen again. It looks great, doesn't it? I am not a big fan of the clashing perspective (that's the tileset though) in the lower right and the line of stone, wall, hole in the wall, tree, Armos is a bit much. Only minor things and like I said, it's a lovely screen.

Sheik - looks great. Nothing to improve.

TheRock - the colors, especially the blue, are a bit too intense and the screen is a bit empty. Nonetheless a good sreen.
  • Jared likes this

#26 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Hmm, I did read through my post once more and found a few misleading points. Eddy, I used you as an example how people should take confidence in their work and shouldn't care all that dislike it. In no way did I mean though that your is something to dislike, while I agree that there are some elements that theoretically would clash with EZGBZ, you pulled it off to put them together in a way that makes them fit perfectly together. And I think it's the first time I see these walls and really like them. Of course you also got my vote.

I've used these walls before in other shots actually, and so did others, so this is definitely not the first time :P Also I guess now that you mentioned it, I'm curious, what would clash with EZGBZ in the shot anyway? Everything here was created in the EZGBZ set to begin with so they weren't ripped from any other tileset or anything, so I can't really see how anything could be theoretically style clashy if they were all made with the same style.

• Shane likes this

#27 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Curiously pulling my question forward, what are your guys opinions on the difference between filler and exploration screens? Are they the same thing in your opinion? Or different?
  • Shane likes this

#28 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

Cukeman put well some critiques whose sentiments I agree with but lacked eloquence for. and Naru is very much right, Jared. are you able to block me or is that not a thing here? you cannot handle the "this one sucks" feedback from me. in fact, you don't handle basic praise well from me. you struggle to field positive constructive suggestion well from me. pretty much anything I post gets a reaction from you. if I incite rage by saying that I think your demo is great and that you should finish something from it, well... maybe stop subjecting yourself to my content. skip over my interest in the screenshots threads. it shouldn't be too hard -- I am not active often. blah! you won't convince me that I need to be all flowery in general dislike for a weak week of wack offerings. sometimes I can say "this is a bad batch" without derailing lives. or maybe try feeling like "laughing aloud! where is your best ever that is worse than these, old man?"

#29 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

It's not a first I see them but a first I see them AND really like them. Jared made them, right? I remember him using them and while the screens were good, I would have clearly prefered other walls. In your screen I think they look great.

The details of the walls are a bit much for EZGBZ IMO, but the colors you used melts everything perfectly together. The green of the trees below also really stands out, but the same goes for the color of Amy (the pink also stands out) and is the needed extra to make it fit. And Amy herself is IMO also not exactly EZGBZ and in a more typical screen she would stand out more.

#30 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

filler to me is stuff that needs a row of trees along a flat cliff edge running the whole top of the screen. it is stuff where you have a cave and a bridge you want to build around and your riverbed and hillside look like a collection of too-heavy-to-safely-assemble-alone prefab construction sections were delivered to a rushed amateur loner carpenter with a broken arm. filler is familiar to me, because I have a lot of preplanned screenmaking to do in my future. I can churn out filler screens. I can recognize filler screens. I honestly do not pay attention to names until after getting a good look at these. I recall the screens in my head, mostly, but not which was whose. none of these were fitting to your other term. exploratory areas might seem more scene than screen, more random than forced, more natural -- or at least believable deliberate within the fantasy constructs -- than tiled. suspend my disbelief, please!

Edited by trudatman, 14 November 2017 - 12:51 PM.

• Anthus and Jared like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sheik, TheRock, Eddy, Jared

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users