action adventure story puzzle

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#16 Solynutt

Solynutt

Solynutt

• Members

Posted 09 September 2021 - 03:54 PM

god, sorry. i regret expressing any sincere sentiment or taking away my own conclusions about the quest. i'll try to refrain from having an emotional reaction to transgressive literature in an artform that's a fucking minefield full of violent statements from now on. i'll try, as a transgender woman, to not read vague statements that seem to imply that being transgender is a result of mental illness as being such, when the overwhelming majority of art and literature of the past 30 years has literally told everyone otherwise.

i'm sorry for not being psychic and not being able to tell that you're the grey wolf character and that the unfortunate situation you were in wasn't hypothetical. sorry for not being able to just know who the voicing of the weird talking box characters is supposed to be. sorry for taking the wrong conclusions away from a very abstract piece of art, especially one that advertises itself as a dialog but is apparently actually an extremely personal work

i will retract my review and rating. happy?

Transidentity has nothing to do with trauma or mental illness, absolutely not!!! I never insinuated that into the game!!! 

It's not what I think, omg....

Spoiler

I'm sorry if you take it like that, I'm going to look for sentences which can let it think, from loan as from afar.

I don't know what to tell you except that now the next version of the game will make this detail clear. Once the admins have validated it, it will be online.

I'm sorry for the nervousness. I take note of the remarks. I took note of your remarks in order to remove any ambiguity. Despite everything, your review was so sharp and violent (something that you probably consider legitimate considering what you got from it) that it was difficult not to react with a lot of emotion (I do not reconcile your way of reacting because justified by how did you view my game, I'm just explaining why I had trouble reacting calmly). I apologize anyway if my game offended you and pissed you off here. I will take your comments into account, I will try to be very clear and explicit in the next game, that there is never any more ambiguity in any way. 
Even if you are angry, you played my game, probably until the end, and your slap allows me among other things to learn to be very careful on these subjects, so thank you very much, your intervention will not have been useless, I hope you can see it one day.

Edited by Aroten, 09 September 2021 - 04:11 PM.

• Rambly, Jenny, Haylee and 1 other like this

#17 Solynutt

Solynutt

Solynutt

• Members

Posted 09 September 2021 - 04:23 PM

Soo if it's not a problem, I'll delete all my post about this subject soon I think.

#18 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 09 September 2021 - 04:28 PM

I would maybe keep the clarification here for other people who might be confused, but spoiler it in case they don't want to be spoiled?

Also I'll probably get around to giving some in-depth thoughts on this quest later; I still can't really formulate exactly how I feel yet.

#19 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 September 2021 - 04:37 PM

Jenny

Spoiler

Edited by Epsalon ZX, 09 September 2021 - 04:39 PM.

#20 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 September 2021 - 04:42 PM

Transidentity has nothing to do with trauma or mental illness, absolutely not!!! I never insinuated that into the game!!! 
It's not what I think, omg....
This character, specifically THIS character imagines himself to be a girl because he lost his memory due to an If... and his hair grew out so he's confused because his figure is reminiscent of a little girl when he woke up, but he has snippets of memory that remind him he's possibly a man! Technically there is no trauma or illness evoked in relation to this. It is an isolated fact, outside of the history behind it, a consequence, without supposed suffering, without real choice, rather an observation after having lost all of his memory..  I'm sorry if you take it like that, I'm going to look for sentences which can let it think, from loan as from afar.

I don't know what to tell you except that now the next version of the game will make this detail clear. Once the admins have validated it, it will be online.

oh...
...jesus, i'm sorry. i really genuinely didn't realize your intentions were as good as they were, or that you were being as genuine as you were, and...

like... to explain my side of things a bit more,

Spoiler

i think there's something to be said too that there is a language barrier involved in something like this. i don't speak french, so i can't possibly get at the original writing of the quest as was written, so i have to go by the translation, and there's inevitably going to be flaws in any translation, leading to misinterpretation. that's not your fault at all - it's just a consequence of language being imperfect.

don't feel bad about being ambiguous in all cases - ambiguity can be good when applied correctly. i think it's just hard to pull off when there's a language barrier at play, and when sensitive subjects are potentially being discussed... not impossible, just. difficult.

i'm really sorry i came across so fiercely, and i'm sorry if i dampened your enthusiasm for the thing you've created. i'm sorry if it felt like an earnest and personal discussion of your (very real, very difficult-to-cope-with) traumas was sidelined or pushed to the background, and for assuming you yourself hadn't been going through some stuff. you were right when you guessed that the sharpness of my response was because i thought your intentions were transphobic, and i wish i hadn't jumped to conclusions as much as i did. i really really didn't want to kill the quest, and i really didn't want to drive the narrative around the quest, or whatever. that really really was not my intention. i'm just mouthy, i jump to conclusions too much, i was too hasty in posting my review...

there were a lot of genuinely wonderful things about this quest and i really want to give it a more earnest appraisal. i think that i'm going to give it a few days and come back to this quest with a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh mind. i sort of rushed through the quest as fast as i possibly could, because there's so much content that i felt compelled to get through it as fast as possible, just so i could replay it hoping to see everything there is... impatience on my behalf, i guess.

but yeah. i'm sorry. i didn't want to hurt or upset you, especially knowing what i know now.

(if you'd rather me take this post to PM or something, i'm absolutely ok with that, btw)

Edited by Rambly, 09 September 2021 - 04:42 PM.

• Anthus, Solynutt and Epsalon ZX like this

#21 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 09 September 2021 - 04:44 PM

Jenny

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I went there. It was 

Spoiler

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#22 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 September 2021 - 04:49 PM

Correct Jenny

#23 Solynutt

Solynutt

Solynutt

• Members

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

oh...
...jesus, i'm sorry. i really genuinely didn't realize your intentions were as good as they were, or that you were being as genuine as you were, and...

like... to explain my side of things a bit more,

Spoiler

i think there's something to be said too that there is a language barrier involved in something like this. i don't speak french, so i can't possibly get at the original writing of the quest as was written, so i have to go by the translation, and there's inevitably going to be flaws in any translation, leading to misinterpretation. that's not your fault at all - it's just a consequence of language being imperfect.

don't feel bad about being ambiguous in all cases - ambiguity can be good when applied correctly. i think it's just hard to pull off when there's a language barrier at play, and when sensitive subjects are potentially being discussed... not impossible, just. difficult.

i'm really sorry i came across so fiercely, and i'm sorry if i dampened your enthusiasm for the thing you've created. i'm sorry if it felt like an earnest and personal discussion of your (very real, very difficult-to-cope-with) traumas was sidelined or pushed to the background, and for assuming you yourself hadn't been going through some stuff. you were right when you guessed that the sharpness of my response was because i thought your intentions were transphobic, and i wish i hadn't jumped to conclusions as much as i did. i really really didn't want to kill the quest, and i really didn't want to drive the narrative around the quest, or whatever. that really really was not my intention. i'm just mouthy, i jump to conclusions too much, i was too hasty in posting my review...

there were a lot of genuinely wonderful things about this quest and i really want to give it a more earnest appraisal. i think that i'm going to give it a few days and come back to this quest with a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh mind. i sort of rushed through the quest as fast as i possibly could, because there's so much content that i felt compelled to get through it as fast as possible, just so i could replay it hoping to see everything there is... impatience on my behalf, i guess.

but yeah. i'm sorry. i didn't want to hurt or upset you, especially knowing what i know now.

(if you'd rather me take this post to PM or something, i'm absolutely ok with that, btw)

Wait for the game, I think I'll read many string, I'm going to change some dialogs before you try this game again (as I say in PM), I think I have to focus on some things to remove some potential ambiguities. I hesitate to remove the game to put it back later with the advice given to me, I don't know, but I need to work on the dialogs a lil bit

Thank you a lot, really

Edited by Aroten, 09 September 2021 - 08:41 PM.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#24 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:47 PM

I think you need to change the title to "Wanderlust: A Game EVERYONE Played and got mad but then ended up understanding it better" but I guess that might be a bit long. :P

I made it to Chapter 3. I'm really loving the design of the quest. You have pulled off some very impressive tricks, and the side-view areas are really neat. I don't have much to say about the story, as I have not finished it yet, but I will say it's good you clarified a few things. It can be easy to have misunderstandings with such things.

Edit: Very minor thing, but you might want to actually change the title to "Wanderlust - A Game No One Will Play" to make it sound a bit better. :)

• Solynutt and Epsalon ZX like this

#25 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:15 PM

Thank you! Are you blocked here? You can push the door!
I'll change the respawn point!

I'm not sure, since I hadn't saved and retried out of it. I think I might have been able to clear the rest of the area from that point if I had kept going?

Anyways, I'm making rather slow progress. I'm at the big dream hopping sequence and have gotten a bit stumped. I got the key from the library, but no clue where to use it and all the dog nose hints are pointing right back to the library.

#26 Solynutt

Solynutt

Solynutt

• Members

Posted 10 September 2021 - 05:04 AM

I'm not sure, since I hadn't saved and retried out of it. I think I might have been able to clear the rest of the area from that point if I had kept going?

Anyways, I'm making rather slow progress. I'm at the big dream hopping sequence and have gotten a bit stumped. I got the key from the library, but no clue where to use it and all the dog nose hints are pointing right back to the library.

https://youtu.be/kWY...z2l4yoI?t=378  here is the solution! (6:18)

I think you need to change the title to "Wanderlust: A Game EVERYONE Played and got mad but then ended up understanding it better" but I guess that might be a bit long.  :P

I made it to Chapter 3. I'm really loving the design of the quest. You have pulled off some very impressive tricks, and the side-view areas are really neat. I don't have much to say about the story, as I have not finished it yet, but I will say it's good you clarified a few things. It can be easy to have misunderstandings with such things.

Edit: Very minor thing, but you might want to actually change the title to "Wanderlust - A Game No One Will Play" to make it sound a bit better.  :)

I don't know what ending you'll get but I put it in present tense for a reason... but you're right, it sounds much better

Edited by Aroten, 10 September 2021 - 05:26 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#27 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 September 2021 - 05:24 AM

Wow, it sure is a fine day for MooshBlind.

2z8JtWF.png

Have no real good reason I missed that lens marker, save for that I wasn't expecting one and the area's rather bright.

Edit: So I got an ending. Wasn't exactly a satisfying one, but might as well record it as it's the path I took for my first playthrough. 

Ending stuff and criticism I guess?

Edited by Moosh, 10 September 2021 - 07:03 AM.

• Rambly, Anthus, Solynutt and 1 other like this

#28 Solynutt

Solynutt

Solynutt

• Members

Posted 10 September 2021 - 08:19 AM

Spoiler
Tails is a character that is supposed to be a bit of a pain in the ass. It is the representation that the "dreamer" makes of the good morals, of the good sense, he associates the good to Tails but his notion of good is not necessarily really good.
Tails is a frustrating character and to fight against him is complicated, because it is to fight against his bad faith.
Thank you very much. I'll make some modification to my game!

EDIT ---------------

I'm going to make a lot of changes in my game. The new version may be here in a month or two. I can't fix everything because it would take too long but I'll change a lot of things and I'll apply all the advices in the next game I'll make on game maker, the sequel of this first version.

Spoiler

I have very few comments on the gameplay, the few comments I have had are very positive but contrary to what you think, the gameplay is more important than the scenario for me so if you have any advice on that level, I would be just as interested. 
The advice is always welcome, even if the current version still has some problems. 

Edited by Aroten, 23 September 2021 - 08:46 AM.

• Anthus, Shane, Jenny and 1 other like this

#29 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:49 AM

While I might not be directly interested in this, considering the international state of video games where a lot of countries are looking for kinda mature, darker themes from developers to move games towards more mature audiences, this has some good timing.  Best of luck Aroten and I hope you get some good reviews along the way.

-James

• Anthus, Solynutt and Epsalon ZX like this

#30 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:59 PM

I'm reaching near the end of one of the paths (might even be the good ending, idk), and things got so uncomfortable that I had to put the game down for the night. It's a very well-made game so far and it's definitely hitting some emotions, we'll see how the ending plays out.

• Solynutt, dr_henke and Epsalon ZX like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: action, adventure, story, puzzle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users